SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohevshalomel

Just need to vent...

ohevshalomel
16 years ago

Life seems to get more and more complicated by the minute. I originally lived in a house with my boyfriend/fiance' where his kids (15 and 4) sometimes visited on weekends or certain days of the week. This had its own problems, but it wasn't so bad. For the past several months, my eighteen-year-old sister has lived with us because I promised to let her get a head start in life without having to deal with the dysfunction that is our own family. Now, a prior mutual friend (who at one time cheated with my dear fiance' even though she was supposed to be my friend...grrr, he never really took responsibility, long story, grrr) has moved in with her four-year-old daughter because she has become homeless. (Granted, at least she sort-of apologized, but the whole way in which he presented the thing, like, "Oh, by the way, when we get home, L. will be there. She's homeless; can she stay for a few days until she finds a place?" irritated me.)

So now I have any number from four to seven people living in my three-bedroom home, in various stages and levels of employment and household contributions (meaning that some contribute something, while others do very little). This has, needless to say, added to the stress I already felt in life.

So this morning, I start complaining to my DF about my sister being a bit of a slob (which I seem to get flak from anyone in the home as soon as I ask them to do anything...surprisingly, L. is the only one who consistently does any chores without being asked, begged, cajoled, pleaded with, nagged, etc.). So he referred to my sister in less than positive terms, and I retorted that his teenaged son was also irresponsible. That led to a fight where he basically b*tched me out for having put his son down for the past years but always having glorified my sister (a bit of hyperbole on his part). He gave the example of how his son watches his brother while BM goes out drinking all the time but still manages to get good grades in school. I'm sorry, but that doesn't change the fact that he's generally irresponsible. I listen to his own father b*tch about how the kid has his head up his you-know-what, and all of a sudden he comes out on the defensive. (There have even been one or two occasions where I've stuck up for SS to DF, but of course I'm in the wrong no matter what I do.) My home life with divorced parents was no picnic, but I didn't get any kudos, and I realize that just because life makes you grow up fast doesn't mean you are a responsible person/adult. Well, how am I to put up with DF saying ignorant things about my little sister when I'm not allowed to say anything negative about his son? My sister is a punk slob, but she's still a helluva lot more mature than many people her age. (For example, she pays rent to live with us and buys a lot of her own food; DF barely contributes at all. Sister does some chores when asked to; DF has to be nagged and nagged to [very reluctantly] lift a finger.)

In the middle of the fight, the phone rang, and he told me how to answer it. I told him that I wouldn't answer it anyway, and he said I never did. I told him I never did because no one ever showed me any respect when calling, never addressed me by name, never asked how I was, and I didn't want to be an answering service. He told me that such behaviour was normal for people calling others, and that he didn't care. So I said that when BM called and acted like a b*tch, I was supposed to lie down and take it? And when SS called and never bothered to acknowledge me by greeting in any way, that I was supposed to take it? Even DF's friends say "Hi, M." before they ask for DF on the phone. He told me that I was putting words in his mouth, and that I was a doormat. (I should have said that that's the way he likes me, but he always fights with logic [even stupid irrational logic], and I fight emotionally, so I'm always too wound up to think of the perfect retorts until after the fight.) I am a doormat, but no one seems to care when I try to stand up for myself--I seem to get more of the same baloney that I was trying to reject by being assertive.

Sometimes I wish they'd all move out of my house, every last one of them. That way I wouldn't have rude, disrespectful, lazy occupants complaining to me that I'm not bending over backwards nearly far enough for them.

I realize that this message probably didn't make much sense, but if you read it, thanks for listening to me rant.

Comments (13)