SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Oh darn! My stone steps are clashing with my siding!

ontariomom
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am starting to hate the exterior of our house and feel sick about the colours we painstakingly chose. We recently had our natural stone steps installed in front of our house that is being re-built. While I like the steps, they are beige with a green undertone and the siding has more of a pinky undertone (pinky beige). What is happening, is the steps make the siding, and even mortar, take on a much more pronounced pink undertone. To top it off, our house faces north which means this side of the house does not get direct light and the extra shadows don't show the siding colour in its best light.

Here is what I was thinking as possible ways to solve this issue.

a)Repaint the front/north side only. Luckily this has the smallest amount of siding on it compared to other sides. I would seek to get a very, very, very near match to the original siding colour but with less red in it. I hope/rationalize that each side of the house presents the colours of the siding differently anyway. We would use this same north colour to paint the garage which is more of a green beige as well (this was the original Garaga colour).

b)Find a way to stain the steps? Not sure if this is possible.

c)Choose LED lights of a warm temperature (lower K) to shine on the siding and a cooler LED to shine on the steps in hopes that the late afternoon dusk when the problem is the worst the lighting would help. The good news is we already roughed in for two coach lights and 2 pot lights in the recessed entry area.

Below you will find pictures of the problem area. I took them late this afternoon. I don't think they show the clash of undertones as much as they do in real life, but if you look at the picture of one piece of siding on the steps you might better see what I am talking about. I also show a south side of the house (excuse the paper curtains, lack of landscaping and other construction mess).

Please let me know what you think of my possible solutions or any others you can think of to make the exterior colours work better. Thanks!!

Carol

Full front of house. There will be glass railings on the over garage deck area that are not yet installed (they will be a grey to match the window trim).

Zoom in to biggest problem colour clash

PIece of pinky beige siding on the green beige steps. Here you can most clearly see the clash. Although in real life it is worst than in the photo.

Now the south side of the house where the siding never bothers me as the pink undertone is much more subtle.

Comments (69)