SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simpleallu

I saw the color of my new house-My heart sank!!!!

simpleallu
14 years ago

Please HELP!!! I just went out to our house which is under construction today to check the progress, and they finished the siding up and it doesn't look good!!!Waahhhh....I did not know what to think. The siding color(vinyl) is a very close match to BM Vale Mist. The house has some shakes(cement board) and board and batten(cement board) and even these were painted to match the color. I feel like this was my biggest mistake. I have only been picturing the same color different textures idea on small cute houses whereas ours is big!! Seeing a HUGE blob of Green/Grey color with white trim made my cry and even thinking about it is!!!!

So after drying up my tears I called my builder and he told me I could get the shakes, board and batten re-painted for a reasonable cost. The fascia was supposed to be painted white to match the window wrap which is white. But I am even reconsidering this trim color. Maybe I should do a cream trim instead of white? Replacing the window wrap would probably be expensive around $1000 is what he said. Which I am ok with too. I just want to LIKE my house!!!!

I am sorry I don't have pics of my house exterior. I know they would help alot but I was too busy crying/freaking out when I was at the site. However here is the Vale Mist chip.

Anyways my question to you helpful souls is this:

1) What color should I paint the shakes and board and batten? Maybe a taupe/brown/cream??

2) Trim-I feel like I should change this to cream. White didn't feel right to me with the siding.

I will post pics of the house tomorrow morning.

Comments (49)

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Don't panic. For what it's worth, I really like the color.

Post the pics and you'll get honest opinions from those of here. You may be surprised that we'll find it lovely. It may be that you just didn't picture it looking like it does; not that it's ugly.

And...remember, when the home is landscaped it will present a different view.

Get a good night's sleep and we'll talk tomorrow.

• gigib_08
    14 years ago

I really like the color you chose! To me it looks like the perfect color. I'm anxious to see your pics tomorrow. I can't imagine it not looking good.

• Related Discussions

NEW: Pedal Pushers: May I give from my heart?

Q

Comments (39)
    :( Soo sad that I missed this. I would have loved to join (and still will if can). I am a newbie and understand that I trade first. While I do not have many plants established, I can think of many ways to give from my heart!!
    ...See More

NEW: Pedal Pushers 'May I give from my Heart' Partners

Q

Comments (149)
    Dee, you've passed the packaging test with flying colors!! Your box arrived and everything will make it just fine! I'm so happy with what you've sent: A very nice card and note Creeping Sedum - new for me Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine' - Love the foliage on this!! Columbine songbird 'Cardinal' - LOVE this columbine!! Scabiosa pale yellow - I've been wanting this also :) Dianthus 'Telstar' - There is even a flower blooming! Viola - pretty colors that I don't have! Sweet William 'Heart Attack'- I love the color of this! Daylily 'David Kirschoff' Daylily Siloam 'Fairy Tale' Daylily 'Bela Lugosi' Daylily 'Nefertiti' I've googled these daylilies, and will absolutely love them blooming in my gardens!! Thank You soooo much Dee, for all of these wonderful flowers!!! I will get them planted and watered immediately! It's a nice cool day today. Last night we were in a frost advisory, and I've not been feeling well, picked up some kind of nasty cold virus, so I decided my plants were on their own. Didn't have the energy to go out and take care of them. Everything looked fine this morning. Tracy, hope your water situation was taken care of! Sassy, your granddaughter just keeps on getting cuter and cuter!! Have a good day everyone! Karen (still smiling from ear to ear)
    ...See More

I am in my new house, my new kitchen... BUT...

Q

Comments (17)
    One way to handle putting an old self into a larger new kitchen is to draw a smaller old kitchen inside of it. All those things that used to live in the den? Or the basement? Or on the high shelves of the kids' closets? Those are still your least used things. It's great to be able to store them in the kitchen now, but you don't want to have the Christmas dishes and turkey roaster and martini glasses between you and the action. As much as you can, put the stuff you use the most away first, and do it in the tightest workflow area you can, best at point of use, designing your point of use at the closest comfortable place to the previous and next steps in the cooking process. If there's room leftover in your working path--like whole empty shelves or drawers, you can put in some of the least used stuff that makes sense in that location (roaster in the cooking zone, etc.) and put the rest of the overage in the more outlying areas, pantry, wherever isn't blocking you from using your kitchen efficiently. I think Buehl has winter dishes in her dish area because there was room (and she has a very efficient kitchen), but if you can tighten up your workspace by putting the Christmas china out, do it! And swap it in at Christmas time, if you use it all day for a month.
    ...See More

My Ship Came In....But Someone Sank It.

Q

Comments (37)
    I felt teared up when leaving our first house and still feel an ache when I drive by. It was not perfect, but it held so many memories and felt so much like ours that it still shocks me 6+ years later that it is someone else's and we have no right to walk in the front door. It did not help that it was prettier than our next house and that we bought "potential and location" with our second house. In your case, you are getting wonderful from the get go... As much as I love marble, that SW really is a great batch. Perhaps you can negotiate with the $1,700. I would take the cheapest edge and find a way to make it fit my budget somehow. No offense, but that kicks BA's and marble's butts.... It looks dreamy and the fewer worries about etching really make a difference to me.
    ...See More
  • awm03
    14 years ago

Is it because it doesn't work with the roof color? What didn't you like about it? I can't imagine that beautiful soft gray wouldn't look good on any style of home.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I agree. Trees, shrubs, gardens will make a huge difference. The color looks lovely. Will look for pics in the morning.

• computerklutz
    14 years ago

Oh, it really is a very beautiful color. I know you are disappointed, but let it grow on you. I think it is a very dignified color for a house.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Of course it can depend on where the house is whether or not Vale Mist is a good exterior color, but speaking in general terms I think you could have done a lot worse.

Vale Mist is a very pretty green and being outside, it's not affected by ambient light, etc. and the idea of it paired with crisp whites is actually "looking" lovely when I imagine what it looks like.

I agree with the others, don't panic just yet. I would be surprised if you end up feeling like you need to change the window wrap. White windows are classic and very flexible.

With that said, if after you've had a chance to re-evaluate you still feel like the colors aren't what you want, don't hesitate to take the builder up on the idea of a reasonably priced repaint. Getting the color you want is worth it in the end.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Yes, that is a beautiful color. It's super common to get in the middle of a project and reevaluate decisions because one doesn't have complete visual context. I don't know how many times i've started painting a room, get one wall painted and wonder what the heck I was thinking. But, once the paint is on all 4 walls, the paint color looks great. Looking forward to seeing pics tomorrow.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I'd tell you it was awful but umm it looks like the same color as my house LOL

Have you considered going with a darker trim to pull out the color you want from the paint? Mine is a gray blue that changes in the sunlight and on a scrap it just looks horribly dull gray...but on the house, with the deeper blue trim it turns into a lovely soft blue gray.

How about trying a green trim, nice deep mossy green??? And do an accent trim in the white perhaps?

Here's a pic of how it looks on my place...actually I'll post a few so you can see it seems to change color often. Keep in mind that these pics look very different but the house has always been the same color:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I know that was picture overload but I wanted to show you how much the color changes when it's sunny, cloudy, rainy and dark, etc. Sometimes it appears to be all one color (the body) and it is but sometimes the clapboards appear to be a different color than the shingles. That's just how these grayed out colors work....so just my 2cents...I'd give it a whirl as it is but get some darker trim samples to help you pull out the tone you were shooting for.

This is a closer shot of the porch to show you the trim. In this photo it appears bright, just as with the light gray blue, the dark gray blue does change colors a bit with the sunlight.

{{!gwi}}

When DH and I were in alaska talking about this house and discussing the color I described it as blue. He argued with me and made a bet it was white. We were both really wrong since it's really gray (but more blue than white LOL). I hope that helps you somewhat!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I agree about viewing the house again, once you are in a neutral mode and check it out from all angles at different times of the day and play around with the trim colors as you can change the whole look with trim. Gray is my favorite color, so I love it.

Igloo...what an awesome house and your landscape is beautiful too. [Jealous in my brown cookie cutter home...LOL]

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

igloo . . .STUNNING!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

lol girls focus we're just looking at colors (and thank you, we love the drafty old box but the gardens intimidate the heck out of me!!)

Simple I hope you go forward with your color...I would never have picked this color but it came with the house and we are afraid we will be haunted if we change it :)
    But really I do love how the color shifts with the weather....our cottage does it even more but you have to be drunk to pick the color (it's purple gray LOL)

• loribee
    14 years ago

Igloo...FABULOUS house and landscape!!
    Simpleallu...I hope that you go back today and LOVE your house color!!
    I do think it will grow on you, once your home is finished & landscaped~

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

I will second how much siding color changes in different lighting, etc. We picked our siding color based on another house we liked, and it looks different on our house (the exact same siding). I even panicked when the roofing went on, as I didn't think I liked that, and my reaction was very much like yours. It's been two years now, and I do like the house color after all. Breathe, calm down and give it time, and if you really don't like it, it sounds like you can change it.

Igloo - Your home is simply stunning. Wow!

Jan

• simpleallu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are so kind and comforting. Thanks so much for your support during this difficult time. I am sorry I didn't check back last night, I thought I'd take my mind off of this mess and spend time with my DD.

Igloo-Your home looks amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing your pics. Unfortunately, my house doesnt have as much character as your beautiful home.

Well here are the pics. In the early moring light the house looked slightly better or maybe like you guys said I just needed the time to get used to it. And also I noticed that the shakes and board and batten color isn't a true match to the siding. I didn't notice this yesterday afternoon. And also yesterday afternoon it looked "greyer" to me. So it probably is the changing lighting. It is a north facing home.

Do you guys agree with my initial reaction now :)?
    So the fascia hasn't been painted yet. The columns aren't completely done but I was planning for the columns and the fascia to be white. Now I am not sure.
    The board and batten and shakes can be re-painted.
    The White wrap around windows can be replaced.

What would you do?

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

If I had not read this thread I would of thought what a pretty house! I would not let this get to you- it looks fine. Good job.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Weird about the board and batten and siding; is it that pronounced in real life, or does the photo accentuate it? (That often happens) Are they different materials taking the paint differently?

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Beautiful tasteful house!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

It's very nice --
    BUT - I do agree that the paint doesn't match the vinyl.

The vinyl's nice; the window trim works. But sorry to say it, but IMO, the color of the shakes and B&B are too close for 'different' and not close enough for 'same'. Since the vinyl can't be repainted, I'd suggest Photoshopping the rest until you get a combination you love.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Sweeby's right: the paint doesn't quite match the vinyl, which looks beige-ier than the gray paint. Perhaps the vinyl manufacturer can recommend a matching color.

Other than that, I think when you finish the porch, paint the remaining white trim and add the columns and exterior lights, you've got a winner there! Elegant with good lines. I love those windows.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I have no trouble with the siding color or the white trim or the white windows. The only thing that's not working well is the shake and b/b. Sweeby hit it on the head about the why and awm came up with a good idea to see if the vinyl manufacturer can recommend a matching color, but paint and vinyl do fade differently so that may only be a temporary fix. I think you should start another thread, post the pictures of your house and ask for photoshop help - there is a color fix for this I'm certain, and then you'll have a house that makes your heart sing, not sink.

• vavavoom
    14 years ago

i think it looks nice! i can see what everyone is saying about the 2 colors being a little off, but it doesn't bother me. i can picture some nice pink flowers in the yard. think it would be pretty!

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Your new house is gorgeous! I like the siding color and trim color. I think you should have the shakes and b&b repainted, either a lighter or darker color, so it has some contrast from the main color.

And that being said, it doesn't look bad the way it is. I don't think I would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

I agree with all - keep the white windows and siding - those are good!! Try to find another color for the shingles and board and batten or a closer match . . . Or take the vinyl all the way up? Or maybe just leave the board and batten and bring the vinyl up to that to keep from chopping the top of the windows off with a different color?

Photoshop will be great for this!

• simpleallu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You know, I noticed that color difference this morning but not yesterday. It is weird. It probably is because of lighting.
    Anyways, You guys make me feel much better. I will have most likely have the shakes or/and b&b painted a different color. I don't have photoshop which would have been great, I'll probably post another thread asking for photoshop help. Any ideas for accent colors?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I think it looks good and once you add trees, etc,. it will look even better! It is a very lovely house!

As far as the trim goes, our house is a similar color(Duron Woodcut) and we just redid our trim in a dark color (the windows are a red/purple-don't trust guys who tell you the new windows you order will definitely be what you want when you expicitly inform them you want a deep blue/purple and you aren't sure from the little sample...lol-hated it at first, but now starting to like it). I do love the dark color of our windows and door (which is the purple I wanted, but now needs to be repainted). The white looks nice, but I am just someone who likes the look of dark trim. Also, we have a simple ranch style, so nothing fancy, but the dark color has given it that something special that it didn't have.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Agree with sweeby and the rest. I'd try to go a shade lighter or darker for the shakes and B&B. It's a beautiful house and I think the grey sky and snow make it look a bit stark at this time of year, but I bet it's going to look lovely come summer.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Well, this is just a thought. What if you added a white "divider" going across the front of your home between the shakes and B&B?

Though the colors may look different, with white trimwork dividing them it could look as though it were done on purpose.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

My last house was that same color!!!! We LOVED it! It had white trim and the front door was a deep teal. Yum!!!! A BM California Blue 2060-2.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM California Blue

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Simpleallu,

That is a gorgeous color. Keep in mind it is winter
    so the sky itself is not going to show the house's
    paint color to perfection. It will be amazing once
    it is finished.

I do understand when you have a picture in your mind and
    you see something you are working on in person and the
    color is off or the mind photo does not match what is in
    front of you. It is truly okay to cry, get upset and mourn
    the loss of what you were planning.
    Disappointment, frustration and tears are all a huge part
    of a building a house and you are not alone.

But, after your tears have dried take a better look at the
    place and you might discover you like this color better
    than the color that was in your mind. You might discover
    that this was meant to be.

Thinking of you and loving your house.
    Gorgeous!!!!
    ~boxerpups

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I'd leave it! I think it looks great! I would save your money to "fix" it and put the money into landscaping. Gorgeous!

• awm03
    14 years ago

simpleallu, what's going in where the exposed wrap is now, brick or stone? Will you add a railing to the front porch?

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Wow....I think it's gorgeous and warm. Perhaps the remaining turquoise color of the insulation at the bottom is throwing you off. I agree with 'anele' to put the money into landscaping. Really, it's just beautiful....believe it!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Simple I think it's lovely. Remember the changing color with the light....on a gray day my house is definately GRAY! it's blue in snow and sunlight and then bright light goes white.

I don't see an issue with the two colors personally but really you need to love it so do what you must :) I think no matter what you do though you'll feel you see two colors (look how the one color appears to be two on mine) because of the different textures. So just keep that in mind.

it's a lovely home :) I can't wait to see it finished with a gorgeous yard and some pretty shrubs.

• simpleallu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

awm - Yes, there is going to be some stone added. No railing though. Just columns.

monablair-my builder also thinks I need to paint the divider between the vinyl and shingles white. Somehow, I am not getting sold on adding more white.

boxerpups-I have always loved reading your helpful posts. They ooze out warmth :). I wish I could take you out for a drink sometime.

anele-You are thinking smartly and practially. Which I am lacking right now. I don't know if I can not help having something painted to "fix" "something". :). Although, I have promised myself that I'd wait a while before I make any rash decisions. Because right now I am thinking, let's replace white trim with cream, let's paint up the board and batten...my builder thinks I am mad to be thinking all this.

cyn427-Your home sounds lovely. I have read that purple is a great accent color for a grey-green color house. I just don't know if I am confident enough to take that step though.

Everyone seems to like the white trim. I chose white cause I liked it on other light colored homes, but somehow it is not sitting well with me on my house. What am I not seeing? Although, White trim definitely "fits" with the inside of my house. I feel like such a basket case right now. Up until now, I felt like I have made some really good decisions design wise and otherwise but now I feel like I can't trust myself anymore.

Okay, so taking a deep breath..."All is well"....

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting pictures of your home. I can see a slight difference in the color, but I agree in if I hadn't read your concern about it, I would have thought it was just gorgeous as is. That difference actually adds some character and helps to make the elements stand out. I like the color overall...it is beautiful and the white trim is so clean a crisp...good fit. I'm partial to white doors (but I know the love of a welcoming red door that many people appreciate), but once you get furniture and plants on your front porch your home will be awesome. What will your walkway look like?

• lyfia
    14 years ago

I like it and I like the white with gray. A cream tends to not work as well with gray. It goes ok, but in different light it looked dirty (I had this combo at my old house).

I do think painting the trim board will do what you need to separate the siding elements. Here is a rough sketch to give you an idea.

{{!gwi}}

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

I was so hoping that someone who could photoshop would come along! I'd have done it for you if I could! I think it looks beautiful in Lyfia's photo! I'd love to see photoshops of both a darker color on the shakes & BB as well as a lighter color. I think it would be great to highlight those features by using different colors. But really, if you just separate the vinyl from the other color with white trim, it's beautiful!

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Lyfia, that's what I meant. Thanks for photoshopping her home with the white trim board. I think it looks beautiful that way.

• kjmama
    14 years ago

Hope you are finding today to be better:) Your home is lovely!

• simpleallu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lyfia-thanks so much for doing that for me. I think that band does make a considerable difference. I like it.

hoosiergirl-Yes, I would love to see the dark/light colors on the shakes/b&b too. :).

Oh and i almost forgot I went up there this afternoon, and the difference between the shakes color and vinyl siding isnt that noticeable.

Funcolors, I haven't heard back from you. Do you have any new advice based on the pics?

• sameboat
    14 years ago

simpleallu - are you kidding? I LOVE it!

• stolenidentity
    14 years ago

hmmmm, I can see I came late for this party. I like the house, and the color. I think it's lovely. And it is going to look amazing when the winter melts and the sun comes out!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Simple...I think the real issue is staring you in the face and you're just too ashamed to admit it's a problem...

It's the trash bin....yes I know we all have trash, but most people are able to rein their waste in a bit...you know, recycle, burn, put it in the neighbor's pile...but not you, nope you proudly park the largest trash bin in america right there in the front yard and the color is throwing the house color off.

My advice is to move the bin to the back yard or learn to recycle...worst case, paint it the house color and it might blend in....

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Well, it still looks lovely!

Are the columns staying that size or are they going to be bulked up more? (Do you like my "professional" terminology--not!)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Honest? I'd change the paint color. It's not right. Is it horrible OMG the neighbors are going to call and report you to the HOA? No. But it's not right.

There is so much potential for the house to look stunning -- instead of just okay -- it almost makes me tear up.

I'd be looking more closely @ the following:

- There's too little contrast. I think it could handle more color and/or more drama on the B&B. Only question is could you. As for which paint colors specifically, I dunno. Have to think about it.

- The arrangement of windows and front door has me drooling. OMG. Something fabulous and bold for the front door color. A dark purple or something like Red Miso from Martha Stewart at SW.

- Maybe it makes more sense in person, but I wonder why the garage peak boards were run horizontally only with out the apex detail like on the house. The different widths of siding and boards doesn't flow together well -- a different paint color, however, could change that. The reason I question it is because the windows on the house are so well-done and so balanced and that side of the house is telling a lovely story of symmetry then your eye meanders over to the garage and it's a little like WTH. The garage peak dimensions look identical if not pretty darn close to the house peaks. Mirroring the vertical/horizontal boards on the garage seems like it could be a good idea --- from my seat in the virtual peanut gallery.

- I'm concerned that you said that you didn't like the color of white that's up there with the siding. White windows doesn't mean you're obligated to match the trim to that window white -- unless you want to. If you wanted warmer, creamier trim you could still do that and leave the windows white.

- Don't feel rushed. If someone has to wait a day or three for you to decide about the repaint, it's not going to kill them. If you need more time, tell them you need more time. (I definitely wouldn't ask, I'd tell, but I'm pushy)

• mildredpots
    14 years ago

Nice choice. I think it looks lovely. Once the dumpster is gone,the landscpaing complete... it will be even nicer.

• lyfia
    14 years ago

funcolors - my inital reaction with the siding on garage vs. house was the same as yours, but then when I colored in the trim board it makes sense if you look at it in terms of height. The board & batten is higher then all the peaks so it is like another level. I don't think it would have worked as well if you had it on the lower peaks either.

• simpleallu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Igloo-LOL!!! I should probably paint and decorate it too with christmas decos. :). I remember seeing a picture of someone who did that in another thread. Was it segbrown??

kjmama-yes I am finding today to be better. I know that simple fixes can make it look right and a little more involved fixes can make it look really nice. So I feel a little more at ease.

anele-Yes the columns are going to be beefed up. 1ft X 1ft.

funcolors-Thank you for your honesty. I will consider everything you said. I am going back and forth on white vs cream. I know like lots of posters mentioned previously that grey goes with white. Which is why I felt white was good, but now I am feeling ambiguous about it.

I am talking to a color consultant in a couple of hours, Maria Killim -funcolors I think you know her. I'd like to see what she suggests. There is only so much that can be done given the costs involved, but I guess it doesn't hurt to hear them out.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

simple, I really think white goes with gray, too. Cream with gray looks dirty-- not a good contrast. BUT, if you are talking about for the columns, I almost wonder (depending on your budget and the cost) what it would be like to do the columns in another material- or maybe paint the columns to match the door, like the dark purple funcolors suggested. I am wondering if maybe white will look a little stark in that context.

I hope when it's Christmas if you celebrate that you'll hang a nice, big wreath on peak of your garage.

You know what, though? I was thinking about this thread . . .ultimately, we can all tell you to change or keep the paint colors, but at the end of the day, it's YOUR house, your budget, your taste. If you absolutely hate it (versus a taste of cold feet) and have the funds to change it, change it now . . .it will be much easier at this stage than later.