SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff_gw

step sisters

ponderinstuff
21 years ago

Anyone have suggestions. Me and my step sisters live in the same city as our parents (deceased parent on both side). My siblings don't live in the area so they don't come to gatherings.

I was very close to a step sister for years, but there has been a lot of baggage in the past. Three times now this particular sister has quit talking to me other than very small talk, won't ever tell me why (after a year or two we finally end up talking at my initiation). It is not my choice she simply will not talk about things. She will make comments like "because I just don't want to" and that is the extent of her communication. I also happen to know she has avoided situations with her natural sisters and not gone to showers etc becuase of past anger.

Well, now she has become buddies with a sister she didn't care for and had lots of anger issues with. When we are all together it is very apparent she buddies up to her and excludes me. I have invited her to a couple things to try and break the ice and she always has an excuse. This all started a 11/2 years ago when I asked her to lunch and she told me she didn't have time, and never reciprocated when she did. It is very obvious she doesn't want to spend time with me by many of her actions, but I really don't have any idea why, which is normal. The reasons she has been mad at me in the past are basically that for one reason or the other she feels I dont spend enough time with her, however her way of solving that is to put more distance between us.

She seems to be the "great pretender" when we get together for family gatherings. My husband says it doesn't seem to bother her at all, and it really doesn't. It eats me up to have unresolve. It also feels really funny to me to pretend there isn't anything wrong and chat as such, when everyone in the family has to notice we don't seem to do anything together anymore.

I feel angry and hurt and don't know how to deal with this. It seems to me she hold all the control and power when she plays this game. I'd like to know how you all might deal with this if it was you. No...I'm not going to get into a shouting match or tell her off, even though I sure feel like it.

I just need to konw how to deal with it, because my response is to retreat away from the family so I don't have to deal with her. I get along well with the step mom and have a good, though not close relationship with the other two step sisters. If my natural siblings were with me it would feel more comfortable but they live a long ways away.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Comments (4)