SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlj48

Disaster! Was just gonna get sink, big problems

jlj48
10 years ago

Well I posted the other day feeling sorry for myself for not being able to afford new counters. Cheap faucet broke beyond repair and this gave a good opportunity to replace hated white resin type sink. Well I bought the sink, already had the faucet. Prepped 15 year old to do the work and offered him money. It was sweet to see him study directions and youtube videos to make sure he could do it. He disconnected lines and removed garbage disposal and sink with faucet attached. Inserted new sink. It doesn't fit! Hole to large. No problem I thought. Silly me. I thought I could go to store and by one 1 inch longer. No Way. They are standard sizes. No trim kits. Nothing. Now my options are to: Put old hated, chipped and stained sink back in, by a portion of new counter and have it re-cut, or buy all new counters.
In the meantime, I have no sink or water. What a hot mess.

Comments (49)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So sorry for your predicament! I guess the only choice is to live with old sink or bite the bullet and get new counters....small loan maybe? Might be a blessing in disguise since you wanted new counters. Not an easy decision.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

What material is your sink is made from? If it's stainless, you can get a sheet of stainless slightly larger than the too large hole. Then cut a hole in the stainless to fit your sink, place the whole thing on the counter, effectively making your own trim/flange. I don't know it that would work with a sink that's not stainless, but it might be okay, if you just cut it as small as possible to cover the hole and get some glue and glue it to the counter.

• Related Discussions

narrow counter + travertine top + sink = disaster?

Q

Comments (3)
    Look at using a sink setter system. Braxton Bragg sells two different types - I'll link the one for vanities. I used the other type on their website for my kitchen sink. The sink undermounter takes ALL of the weight of the sink and transfers it to the sides of the cabinet; no weight will be placed on the counter. You need two sets for oval vanities. FYI - Braxton Bragg sells them cheaper than the link I provided below: http://www.braxton-bragg.com/index.cfm/m/1/fuseaction/store7catalog.level/bc/0,8457,8580,7106/ Hope this helps! Here is a link that might be useful: sink undermounter info
    ...See More

Big, Big Problems with remodel!!!! (long)

Q

Comments (19)
    Cheri I just had to ck in - I am so sorry this is your experience - talk about taking the wind out of your sails - this guy really has done that and then some. I agree w/the above - hold the GC's feet to the fire, as you know I have Kennebec cabs -I had the plumber come in to install the gas to the range - He told me he had to cut a whole in the side or back of the drawer for the shut off valve. Oh, no sorry - no cuts in my cabs - I went to Town Hall to inquire about the code for shut off - So very glad I had a discussion w/the building inspector who said that was actually an outdated code (to be w/in easy reach), the newer code did not require that - if there is a gas leak are you going to search for the shut off? No, I'm high tailing it out In any event - I have a nearly 90 yr old home - My kitchen was gutted - I went through painstaking efforts w/GC, Liz,& flooring subs to get the measurements right - after all we are starting from scratch - clean pallette & have specs on virtually everything going on and in the kitchen - I even made the GC's sub take out the wooden thresholds they put between 2 casement openings - as the old floors & new were even - why the threshold! Do not settle for anything less than what you truly want, which may be difficult to see right now. You have had a long arduous road to get to this point, why would you settle now? I realize you must be getting "get there itis" and would like your home to yourself - but you don't want to be cooking Thanksgiving Turkey in Nov regretting decisions you make now. I hate the thought of the cabs being cut and the floor joists be cut I really think is not wise - I had to change plumbing runs & put in new LVL's sistered to existing joists based on the prior plumbing cuts into the joists Push on the GC - put your thoughts/facts/concerns into writing - have a mtg -Do not give him a red cent until you are satisfied with the "fix" - Keep Liz & KD in the loop - you never know who may come up w/the solution & Kennebec has expertise in old homes Best to you enjoy a lovely weekend -
    ...See More

Soapstone Countertop Install Disaster and Fireclay Sink Dilemma

Q

Comments (23)
    Latest Update: Jay came back and worked on the fix. Although he was not finished with it today, I must say the gouges look a whole lot better and the scratches are now barely visible. Meanwhile, he called me tonight to tell me that he has arranged for an old-school porcelain repair expert to come over and take care of my sink and to make me whole. Lascatx, as usual, I'm finding good reason to follow your advice. Jeannie_Kitchen, you are right: We all make mistakes. And, Raynag, I can clearly tell that Jay is as pained about all this as much as I am. Honestly, I feel for the guy. While it's bad enough being in my shoes, I would not want to be in his! His clear determination to rectify this mistake, gives me confidence that all will work out. Thanks so much your sisterhood hugs, Charlikin, and your kind words of encouragement, Vicnsb! To Jerseydeb,Momof3kids_Pa and, again to Jeannie_Kitchen and Raynag: I appreciate your reminders that its truly possible to peaceably coexist with the fact of blemishes in my brand new kitchen! Of course, when all is said and done, I want to be able to show off my kitchen. Yet, at the same time, it's important to keep in mind that a true showroom kitchen is unlikely to also be a true working kitchen . In the end, there are likely to be many many more accidents, dings, gouges and scratches, etc. to demonstrate that my kitchen is a working kitchen after all. Perhaps, when this chapter closes and I can sincerely laugh about it, I will regard my Rohl farmhouse sink as the first item in the new kitchen to have "patina." :) More to come.
    ...See More

I was only Gonna Get ONE..

Q

Comments (12)
    Those are all beautiful roses. Going to buy roses is like me in a candy shop as a kid..lol. Just curious what are the names of the roses in the first and second pic? Unfortunately Othello doesn't do well for me here. This year, mine is like a miniature rose. I was going to sp it but prob will move it somewhere to see if it does better. This is its third year so it is a good indication it is not happy where it is. I had the opportunity to buy it again at a reduced price but I didn't since I didn't have good experience with it. Marie-rose from Austin? Did you mean Mary rose? If it is, this is a good rose in my garden. It used to be the first to flower in the spring until Evelyn took that spot in my garden this year.
    ...See More
  • jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick I actually researched options with some knowledgeable people and scoured the internet tonight for ideas. I thought of that. However, the hole is big enough on the sides - about 1/2 on each side but fits the other way, however I think I would run out of room to run it all around to make it look nice and deliberate - like a real trim piece. Also since it wouldn't have any curve to it, I'm afraid it would look like the sink is held up by a metal ruler. Hope I'm being clear. I also worry about it being structurally sound. I want the sink to be held up and sturdy of course, without worry of it falling through. Could not believe the mess when it came out. Lots of caulking all right along the edge. The original sink, which was heavier barely fit. Looks like such a crappy cut job.
    I was happy to come around and be thrilled about the sink and faucet and had really let go of the whole countertop thing.
    I will start in again in the morning with brainstorming and researching and estimates.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

without pics, it's hard to tell what you could do, but if there is an Ikea near you, their counters are a really affordable option. the butcher block is a bit pricier than some of the laminate, but you could cut the hole yourself and install diy to save money. Some kitchens have a run of butcher block just on one counter; you could add more when you have more $$.

good luck.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I don't live near an Ikea, over 3 hours from one. My new sink was to be stainless, I returned it but will rebuy it if I can figure something out. I can try to get up pictures of the hole later today but forgot to mention - there is a lot of black - I'm assuming mold in the back of the counter top. The previous faucet had leaked before it bit the dust. It is in the thinkness of the current countertop. Can I spray bleach on it and into it and be done or does it need to come out? Has anyone had this problem? Thank you. I will get kids to school, make some phone calls, and check back in later.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Well, let's be positive here. Now you've found a mold problem that needed to be dealt with, and so you will now. You can put in new caulking and a new faucet. I don't know what a resin sink looks like, or why you hate yours, but once you get your water back up and running, you'll appreciate it a lot more! And the 15-year old sounds super. You'll get your new counter and sink in the end.

"Thinkness" of the countertop? Back in the olden days, my mother would bleach the white porcelain bathtub and kitchen sink. She'd put some diluted bleach on the surface, and then cover with a white towel (enough liquid to keep the towel wet) and let it sit until stains disappeared. The towel would keep the bleach soaking in place, instead of puddling. And if you have sloping areas, etc. this method might work. I shouldn't think anything would have to come out.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I've been to my 2 local big box stores and have been greatly disappointed. Got a quote on counters. One was very high and the other store had no one in the store that could help me at all the entire day. I went to another establishment that gets granite from our local wholesale supplier and does their own install. Got a quote that was much less and includes installation, and may be more affordable with their 15 month same as cash deal, with no interest. I HATE to buy things this way and we never do. But with just putting our son in college, helping him get a car, and huge medical bills, let's just say I'm not too proud to ask for discounts or payment plans. Brought home some samples today of quartz and granite and will call around for other prices and think about it over the weekend.
    Current counter has mold all along the back where faucet was. It looks like the fiberboard or whatever is under laminate has soaked up water. Not sure how deep it runs or if it goes to my wall. That could be a bigger problem than meets the eye. I pray not. Not sure how I could hold bleach to it with it being on the inside of the counter.
    Yes my 15 year old is a jewel. When I have the money to put hardwood in my living room, I think I'm going to let him take a stab at it. I can't imagine that any time soon though.
    Any other thoughts for me or advice?

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just realized something. Cannot use old sink even temporarily. Faucet is broken. New faucet requires 2 holes, current sink only has one. Looks like I'll be doing dishes in the bathtub.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Probably a stupid question, but what's the next bigger sink? Is there any way to fit it in your cabinet? What size is the hole and what size is your cabinet?

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the thing. There IS NO bigger sink. I thought I would just buy the next size up. They do not get bigger than 33 x 22 unless you go to some restaurant size, and with it being centered under a window and right next to a dishwasher, that is not possible. Now with mold, I just talked to my insurance agent and deductible is too high to submit a claim. However, he said bleach kills mold but not spores. You could try to kill mold but it will most likely come back. Counter top must go.
    Just talked to a realtor and she said that although granite and quartz are all the rage now, they may not be in 10 years, when we want to sell. She said she would just get new laminate if she were me. I'M SO CONFUSED! and my kitchen looks like a tornado hit it. I think it's time for a margarita .

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Anything can be/look dated in 10 years....I doubt most houses on the market are totally updated to today's trends, but they sell anyway. Absolute cheapest route for new counters would be off the shelf ready-made laminate at Lowes/HD sold in different lengths.....not too difficult to cut and install yourself (that talented son of yours and I'm sure plenty of help on internet/youtube). Color choices/patterns are limited though. It would at least get you by until you have the funds for what you really want. So sorry you are having such a spot of bad luck!

• annzgw
    10 years ago

What are the exact dimensions of the sink opening?

You need to go to a plumbing supply store, not your big box, to look at options. HD/Lowes is not going to carry the variety of sinks that are available.

You may have to cut the opening to make it fit a newer sink but it will be less expensive than replacing the counter.

For treating the mold, check the link below. If the wood isn't decaying, or soft to the touch, it should be fine after a good cleaning and drying out. The link below covers the basics of cleaning typical mold. In hard to reach places use a spray bottle to apply the bleach solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning wood

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annz you rock! Thank you so much for suggestion contacting a plumbing supply store! We have only 1 in our town and I just called. He said they have more sink sizes available 34" 36" ect. I will remeasure my opening and go there in a few minutes. Also, he said the clean to mold and apply polyurethane to it to prevent further mold. I will check to see if it is soft first.
    I also got a firm quote on granite. I could have it installed for $4150. which includes a sink and 15 months of interest free payments. I was dreading the cost but looking forward to having it. Oh my emotions have been all over the place but now I know what the cost will be when we DO decide to upgrade. I'm off to get the sink.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'm back. Did NOT get sink. They do not make 34" sink, next size is 36" which means the basins would cut into my dishwasher. Not gonna work. We're back to new counters. I called the realtor that sold us our home. She strongly recommended granite and said that homes in our area did not sell because they did not have solid surfaces in their kitchens. What a hot mess. Time for that drink

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What about a sink with a drain board that would fit over the area of your dishwasher, i.e. the cutout would fit in your cabinet.
    e.g. 37 3/4 inches but fits in a 24" cabinet

they also have one that's 35 3/8, whcih requires cabinet frame of at least 30"

Here is a link that might be useful: 30

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago
  • awm03
    10 years ago

Here's a 34 in. stainless drop in sink:
    single bowl

• annzgw
    10 years ago

What is the size of the opening?? We may be able to help find something if we know what to look for. But.......I'm starting to think you really want that new counter. : )

If you start looking at countertops, check out the quartzite and other man made materials. I saw more of that being used on the model homes tour........very little granite was seen.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. I will take some further measurements and give these places a call. The plumber supply store people that I talked with today said that for a 36" sink (which wouldn't fit in my cabinet) I would need an opening of only 30" to allow room for the support. My OPENING is 33 x 20 1/2. I'm not sure how my current sink didn't fall through. So it is seeming that the lip of the sink needs to be about 6 inches around to support the weight of the sink, if I'm understanding it right. I LOVE the farmhouse sink although I've always had a double basin. Not sure I could get used to a single. Since dishwasher is on the left, doing dishes with the one that covers the top of the dishwasher would again be 1 basin as well as right to left. Not a big deal, I know, but something to think through. Plus that one has no holes for plumbing. There is no room for plumbing unless the sink has holes. I will show these to hubby and try to get some pictures uploaded. Thank you. How did my plumbing supply store miss these other sinks?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I have to say that I actually prefer a single bowl sink, easier for larger pans, pots, and cookie sheets. And cook top grates. I hope that you'll find a sink that fits the opening, your needs, and your budget.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are my photos. Maybe these will help.

I tried to show the whole sink and cabinet, opening, mold and close up of opening. Opening measures 33" x 20 1/2", back counter in front of window measures 1 1/2" and front of sink measures 2"

• User
    10 years ago

Looks like they used a laundry sink in place of a kitchen sink. That's why a regular standard sized kitchen sink won't fit in the cutout.

With a handy teen in the house, the cheapest option would be to replace the laminate with something from the existing slabs that are in stock at one of the box stores. If it's a simple L shape, it's very doable. As far as the granite being better at resale, I don't think that's the case here. Those are entry level thermofoil cabinets, and the next person that buys the house will most likely want to do a gut remodel and replace everything. No sense wasting any money on granite. You won't get your money back at all.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a U shaped kitchen. I wasn't looking for the cheapest option, I was looking for a way to install a new sink properly and safely for now, with plans to add a new counter later. The new sink doesn't fit because the countertop was cut too widely by the builder when the sink was installed.
    I know that I really put myself out there by posting pictures. One becomes more vulnerable when sharing photos of their spaces. Those of us who do are willing to take the risk because they feel a certain level of comfort in sharing. I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion on the value of my kitchen, cabinets, paint, or anything else. And I think that stating that my kitchen isn't worthy of granite but should be gutted, well let's just say harsh.
    I guess that's what I get when I put myself out there though.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

That is an unusual size for an opening......as you now know! :)
    So, is your base cabinet 33", 36" or ????

The farmhouse sinks look to be the perfect size but they would cause another problem since you'd have to redo the front of your cabinet for it to fit.
    You really only need about a 1/2 inch overlap to support a sink and it won't hurt if you have more than that.

Edit: I was typing while you were posting pics! I'm trying to figure out the cutout and the two levels. Am I correct that the lower cut-out is following the inside of the cabinet, or does it extend beyond the sides? Does that make sense?

Don't let the comment about thermofoil bother you. I'm a fan of it after having it in a previous home.....and that home sold for a VERY high price.

This post was edited by annz on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:29

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well Annz I know very little about plumbing and sinks. But the plumber supply people indicated that I need 6 inches to support a sink. Now I'm sure that's overkill, and the sink that was there before barely fit. I just want to make one fit right or just redo the counters.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

You don't need 6".........: )
    I've personally remodeled 3 homes and I was in charge of all the plumbing. I was wanting to know the inside measurement of your cabinet since that is what will limit what you are able to install there.

I assume your measurements are taken at the widest cuts?

• annzgw
    10 years ago

This looks like the sink you just took out. It comes in 3 colors and the size would fit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Not to sound cranky here. That's the mold "issue". Looks like it may be in the silicone rather than the countertop itself (happens all the times in bathtubs). If there was some silicone smeared on the countertop (if clear-you might not have even noticed it).
    You'll need to re-seal anyway so check that out-it might scrape right off with a razor blade. Good luck with the sink sizing but I certainly wouldn't drop 4K for granite, in spite of your realtor's comments. Financing options have everything to do with how much the seller wants to sell, not your pride. It's how almost everything was done pre credit cards!

• awm03
    10 years ago

joanie38, I think GreenDesigns was just trying to give you honest, practical, biggest-bang-for-the-buck advice out of concern for your pocketbook, especially since you've mentioned several times in this forum that money is very tight right now. I'm sure he (she?) didn't mean any offense.

GreenDesigns' suggestion to look into stock laminate counters at the big box stores is a good one. Would it cost much to have the big box store cut a sink opening too? Sounds like the least hassle for you, if you can swing it financially.
    Below is a link so you can look at prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot In Stock laminate counters

• User
    10 years ago

I'm not knocking thermofoil cabinets at all. They are a perfectly functional choice for a moderate price. However, the ONLY reason to put granite on top of them is that you really really want it, and will get great enjoyment out of it and can fully afford to easily spend that money without any regard as to whether or not it will make the home more sellable or worth more at resale.

You're not in that position to not worry about costs. You've said that several times. $300 buys you all new laminate counters and a new sink. You just have to supply the labor. It's really not that hard. I've done it myself. And you just saved $3700. Seems like an no brainer to me.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Addressing the resale issue as someone who recently bought a home. Granite is nice, but the reality is if the cabinets are older than granite isn't doing you any favors. I would (and did) choose old cabinets with new cheap countertops knowing full well I planned to rip them out. Our house had original oak in really rough shape, with brand new stock laminate counters. We didn't hesitate ripping them out. On the other hand, the few houses we looked at with granite didn't appeal, because we didn't like the cabinets, and ripping out the granite to replace them would have been costly and wasteful. So on the resale front, IMO, go with laminate.

Also, if you want to stay in your home long term, is a full kitchen remodel something that is on your list long term? Because once you put granite in, from my u dear standing, it's very difficult to get out.

When choosing our countertops we did seem to find laminate has a bad rap on these type of home forums. But in real life most average homes have laminate. There is nothing wrong with laminate, it's a perfectly nice, durable, affordable countertop.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've seen a few laminate counters here, in nice, new kitchens. There was nothing wrong with the laminate we took out when we gutted out kitchen, except we hated the color. It held up extremely well for 24 years.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I have marble, but I'd rather have a decent laminate than a granite I didn't like -- which is most of them. ;-) As for resale, who knows? I think my neighbor's granite looks like dog barf and it would be a big negative if I was looking to buy. It is not a one option suits all material -- there are just too many options to possibly please everyone. Ever watch HGTV -- some buyers only care about whether counters are granite (but are just as likely to buy without and replace) while others like the fact that the kitchen has granite but they don't love the color. And I agree that putting thousands into granite would probably make it that much harder to ever do much else to your kitchen because you spent so much to put it in.

There is a way to replace your sink, and you will find it, but I would focus first on cleaning up the mold, letting the area dry thoroughly (if you don't you will make the mold issue worse) and then assess the damage tot he deck and the wall behind. Run a fan on it, blow a hair dryer, but still give it several days to a week before you coat it, seal it or close it up. If everything is sound and completely dry , then you can proceed with any option on the sink. If any of the surfaces have gotten wet enough or remained wet enough to cause swelling, flaking, crumbling or look like rot has started, you need to replace or supplement the support of you could have a sink crash on you later. Swelling could cause you to not have a level sink or a good seal and cause further mold issues. Damage control and prep work come first.

Treating with bleach (perhaps 2-3 times) and letting everything dry out (you don't want any bleach remaining -- chlorine promotes oxidation of metals) will give you some time to explore sink options. I'd go to some online sources and hunt by size. Once you find what is available, you can look for local options to purchase or evaluate the online options (I bought my sink online).

A farmhouse sink or other single bowl will probably be easier to adjust to than you think. DH didn't think he would like one, but now says he would never go back. If you love the farmhouse look, you will make the adjustment easier because it is something you like -- not something you had to do. KWIM? But there are double bowl options if you really want them. Doing stainless means a shop can fabricate a piece to cover a piece of wood to fill in a gap if needed (I had to do that to bump out my vent hood).

When presented with a problem, there is a tendency in most folks to find a quick fix. Sometimes it is a good one, but often they lead to doubts or regrets. Take the time to figure out how to make it a plus for you. Don't panic. It's not a disaster - it's an opportunity. It
    s a kitchen. Make lemonade!

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse with double bowl

• User
    10 years ago

Farmhouse sinks require cabinet modifications and do not work with laminate counters. They need a solid surface counter. So, using one of those would be a MUCH more expensive choice than any discussed so far.

Stone isn't "removable" without the potential for damage to both the cabinets and counters, so if a remodel is in the future, putting stone in is the absolute worst thing you can do. With money being tight, replacement of the existing water damaged counter with laminate and a plain stainless topmount sink would give you a functional surface without breaking the bank. It also gives you the freedom to address doing a replacement remodel in the future, if that's in your future. Realistically, if it's not in your future, it will be in the future for the next homeowner to own the house. And it's always more appealing when a remodel is to be planned to not have to "throw out" something expensive that is not to your taste.

• awm03
    10 years ago

One quibble about a stainless steel farmhouse sink: belt buckles or buttons can scratch the front. Maybe your family is more cautious than my family of 4 guys, but I ruled out a ss farmhouse sink for this reason.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Why not build a wooden picture frame over the top of the opening, paint it to seal it all very well and mount the sink inside the picture frame? It would be an inch higher, that's all. I've seen people do this sort of thing when changing cooktops ?

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate tremendously everyone's very creative ideas to try and help me. I have to admit I did panic which is evident by my multiple postings the past few days. I'm glad I took the time to think everything through and plan to take a few more days to do so. I have come to agree that granite is not the wisest choice for our family right now, even though I totally love it. I really do NOT want more laminate. I've ALWAYS had laminate, my whole life, and this problem has given me an opportunity to possibly get something different. I have looked at some very beautiful laminate, but still would prefer something else. My husband works very late each night and is not terribly handy. Plus he's severely colorblind so he cannot be of much assistance with colors and shading. I am more handy than he is, as are my sons. However, my daughter plays softball all weekend, every weekend for the next month so there is no time anyway. We spend our weekends at the ball park.
    I have looked absolutely everywhere online and in stores for a 34 x 22 inch sink stainless steel double basin sink with at least 3 holes for the faucet, and it does not seem to exist. I wish I had a picture of the sink that I bought that was 33 for you all to see. It has to be 34 x 22 to have a shot at working. 36" sink basins will cut into my side cabinets.
    At this point, we are considering a solid surface. It is so much more affordable particularly with the sales that I have found. I didn't previously know much about solid surface counters but have learned a lot and really like how they are seamless and very much stone like. It would suit our needs, not kill our budget, would be good for resale value, and would come with a nice undermount sink, another think I would really like. Plus it would be installed for us. No more late nights working on the kitchen. The only down side is that it takes as long as granite to get installed. It will be 4 weeks from the day we order to completion. That's a long time of doing dishes in the bathroom sink. I had a talk with the kids tonight and told them that it looks like we will be living like college students - lots of paper plates and cups and everyone does their own dishes in the bathroom sink and dries them and puts them away. Also, lots of take-out, which isn't all bad.
    Who here has experience with a solid surface counter? Do you like yours?
    Thank you all again for helping me to sort through this.

• User
    10 years ago

I get it that delayed gratification isn't fun. Buying the shiny new thing is always what we want to do. And sometimes, when we get that Christmas bonus or find a great deal, we can even indulge our wants without worrying about paying the car insurance or putting money aside for college. It's not fun being the adult instead of the kid.

Solid surface is usually MORE expensive than granite, and it scratches. It's simply acrylic with aluminum trihydrate as a filler, i.e. fancy plastic. If you're going to spend thousands instead of hundreds, you ought to at least get what you want. Granite is available from many local fabricators for around $40 a square foot these days. In some places, it's even less. Even the cheapest solid surface is usually more than that. Or at least, if it's not Chinese it is. And it's still thousands vs. hundreds. Which if you have the money, wouldn't be an issue.

Save those thousands for doing the entire kitchen over when you aren't paying college tuition. It's really not that far away.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Here's my warning about solid surface, which we thought we were choosing. It starts out as seeming budget friendly, but you will quickly realize its not. If you are considering solid surface than you should consider the lower priced granites. The budget priced solid surface choices are extremely limited, and not any less expensive than granite.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The solid surface we found is way less than half of the granite prices we have found.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

If you have to remove the countertop in order for the supplier to make a template, consider doing what we did in DS's remodel. When you/they remove the countertop try to save as much of it as possible. When they're thru making templates, place the countertop back on the cabinets, set the sink in temporarily and hook the plumbing up. Just an option vs using the BR as a kitchen.

Below I've linked info on countertops materials.
    And here is a site listing psf cost: http://www.countertopguides.com/company-news/annual-countertop-buyers-guide.html

Here is a link that might be useful: countertops

• suero
    10 years ago

I have a solid surface counter top in my kitchen, and it's the reason one of my sons is alive today. The very day after the kitchen remodel was finished, he placed a wet cast iron pot on the brand new counter top, long enough for the pot to leave a large rust stain on the counter. I took the 3M sponge the installer left for just such events, sanded the stain out, and the counter top kept its brand new look. I didn't strangle my son, which was my first reaction on seeing what he did. Twenty-plus years later, the counter top still looks great.

• jlj48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suero what color solid surface did you go with? I'm glad to hear that you are still happy with your counter top. And I'm glad your son is still alive :)

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Joanie, what brand of solid surface are you looking at? I have been looking at countertops for 4 months, and have definately found that at least in our area (northeast) granite and solid surface are priced very close. The budget solid surface colors are very limited as well. We actually had plan to go with an LG clor that was on special. I was really drawn to the seamless aspect of solid surface. When the price came in after templeting I was shocked. They charge an arm and a leg for integrated sink and backsplash. By the time it was all said and done it would have been more than a basic granite by about 25%, even more if I wanted everything completely seamless. So I'm back to the drawing board myself.

• joshuasamah
    10 years ago

Joanie I've had the Formica brand solid surface in my kitchen for about 11 years. I love it and it looks asjust about as good today as the day it was installed. The counter looks like a black stone material and the dark colors do scratch and the scratches are white, but it can be repolished if needed. If scratches bother you I would go with a lighter color so they don't show. My only caution is that you can't put anything directly from the stove or oven onto the counter because it will crack the surface.

• User
    10 years ago

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99822037/

The IKEA Domsjo double sink would fit in there ... it replaces the WHOLE counter. It's a "full depth" sink.

You might have to get a different faucet, but for under $400 you could have the new sink, no mold, and postpone the problem.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I've seen some beautiful kitchens that have laminate that looks like soapstone. Not sure how the price compares to the solid surface you're looking at, but it might be an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone laminate

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Make sure you go with a well-known brand of solid surface. When we built our house, the builder suggested a solid surface countertop for our laundry room. We went with his suggested of a very inexpensive brand (wish I remember the brand name but it was one I had never heard of).

Well, it was just awful. Had a very plastic look and stained very easily. If I tried to scrub the stain out with steel wool it would take out the shine so buffing with a lot of elbow grease was required. We ended up tearing it out within a couple of years and replacing with tile.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Many here don't like solid surface. I wasn't a fan, but Corian made sense for us. We have Raincloud and while it was on the more expensive end of the price range for Corian, we love it.