SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Soapstone Countertop Install Disaster and Fireclay Sink Dilemma

marthavila
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I need your help quick! After being on a deposit hold for 18 months, my precious soapstone countertops were finally installed last week. The stone is beyond gorgeous and I'm thrilled with the install except. . . . one of the workers damaged my beloved Rohl Shaws farmhouse sink during the install process! As a result,there is now a serious gouge mark on the sink rim and scratch marks on its radius. Meanwhile, the countertop is completely installed and caulked.

Now, I've had a great relationship with this installer all along. He immediately apologized profusely and vowed to get a "fix kit to take care of it." However, I later pondered the pros and cons of a fix versus removal and reinstall in discussions with the GC and ID. Suppose the stone gets cracked or broken when he tries to remove or reinstall the sink? Plus, handmade Rohl sinks are notorious for varying in dimensions. Now that the custom cabinetry has already been cut to fit my current sink, what happens if a new sink does not fit the cab cuts? Might I need to replace the cabinetry as well? Given all this, neither the GC nor ID insisted on sink replacement and I agreed to the "fix." BUT, one week later, it has suddenly dawned on me that I will NEVER be happy with my brand new Rohl Shaws farmhouse sink being merely "fixed." A little research reveals that a fix to a glazed porcelain or fireclay sink is never permanent and that there is always eventual flaking and discoloration of the fix material.

The installer is planning on coming with a "fix kit" to do the repair . . . TODAY. What should I do? What would you do? Are there any of you who have had similar damage to your fireclay sink and learned to peaceably coexist with a fix kit repair? BTW, whatever your advice, please don't bother giving me the obvious suggestion to withhold payment until the problem has been solved. In the midst of last week's drama(it was the week from hell with this issue being only one of many), and despite a slam dunk basis for refusing payment, my brain went on hiatus and I relied on what has been a great business "relationship" instead of business common sense; I went ahead paid him already! (:

Comments (23)