SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
overdone_gw

Where there is smoke, yup, there was fire

overdone
16 years ago

I almost caused a fire in my kitchen tonight.

I am installing a screw-in pressed tin ceiling in my kitchen. My kitchen also has 30-40 year old electric radiant heating in the ceiling. I asked the manufacturer of the tin ceiling tiles if that was a problem and they assured me it wasn't. I've been going slowly, doing about 3-5 tiles a day in a 23 tile ceiling design. Tonight, after installing around a recessed light, i was replacing the light bulb and I got shocked. Strange. I wasn't shocked earlier when I was adjusting the light baffle.

Took out the DMM and sure enough, 120V. Decided a screw in that ceiling tile might have hit a wire. So I put in new screws and backed out the original screws. On the last screw I was putting in, I noticed sparking between the driver and the screwhead, so I moved it a couple of inches over. Saw sparking again when I backed out the original screw.

I went to tell the wife that I found the source of the short and when we came back to the kitchen, I smelled and she saw smoke. I made a dash for the breaker box and shut off everything. Climbed the ladder and found several hot spots in the tin ceiling tiles. SOme of the hot spots were in tiles that had been hanging for 2-3 days and I'm sure were not hot earlier.

To check for damage, I removed all of my work. Many of the screws were quite hot and the ceiling was hot as if the heat had been on. Underneath the first 3 tiles, there was browning in the popcorn which I assume was the source of the smoke.

I am spending an uncomfortable and hot night here with all of the power off so no A/C.

So I figure the 2" screws I was using to hang the ceiling tile were overkill. I thought the heating consisted of wires laying loose on top of the ceiling drywall. After doing some research, I think they were more likely radiant panels of unknown geomatry and configuration.

So my question is, what do I do now? Is it possible that I ruined the heating panels by screwing through them or that they are OK?

How should I proceed? My thoughts are to turn on the power, monitor the ceiling for hot spots (with all screws and tiles removed), and then turn on the heat and see if it operates normally.

If there is a problem though, I realy don't know what to do. The thing of it is, I am doing some last minute repairs and renovations before moving cross country and sale of the house. I am doing the tin ceiling to hide some major imperfections in the popcorn from when I tore down the old soffits. I am planning on moving in about 2 weeks and I'm afraid I caused myself more than 2 weeks of trouble.

Do I need to call in a pro on this one?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments (33)