SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Smoke Da Pig - 2nd Annual Requiem to Summer

moosemac
10 years ago

I'm so excited! Next weekend is my second attempt at smoking a pig. Looks like it will be a fairly large group this year.

Menu is:

Appys
Lime Chicken Wings
Cheese, crackers and home cured & smoked meats
Veggie platter (from the garden)

Main Course
The Pig about 70 lbs. (We using a combination of sugar maple & apple wood in the smoker.)
Blackberry BBQ Sauce (We had a plethora of berries this year. This is the first time I have ever made this and it came out great!)
Plain grilled chicken breast (for a couple folks)
Boston Baked Beans
Baked Kidney Beans (per DH request)
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw
Tossed Salad
TBD Vegetarian Main Course

Dessert
Brownie Bites
DIY S'mores
Fresh Fruit

For libations
A variety of craft beers
White Sangria
Signature Cocktail for the event - CowHampshire Lemonade (spiked & virgin)
Water
Soda

The back field is mowed and fire pit is ready. The guests with their tents and campers will be rolling in Friday night/Saturday morning with the main event on Saturday and wrap up on Sunday.

Hopefully the pig will be golden brown this year using maple & apple woods. Last year it was dark, dark brown from smoking with oak wood.

Pig is due to arrive Wednesday. I'll have the brine ready so it will brine for 48 hours before it goes into the smoker. Then it takes 18-20 hours in the smoker. Yup I'll be up all night but it's worth it!

Can't wait to see family, friends and neighbors, DD & DS have invited their friends as well so it should be a good crowd.

Everyone is pitching in:
- DS is in charge of mowing and trimming,
- DD and her boyfriend are in charge of making the desserts, sangria, and lemonade.
- DD will also help getting the food tables organized and make sure all the proper utensils, plates, containers, etc. are placed or staged appropriately.
- Other DS is in charge of organizing the pool house, putting up the canopies and table & chair set up.
- Both DS will help with stocking and refilling the coolers.
- SILs are making cole slaw & pasta salad.
- Cousins are making the tossed salad and a TBD vegetarian dish.
- Nephew is making the Boston Baked Beans and since he is a butcher, he is our official carver.
- DH is coordinating all non-cooking tasks. He has checked out the smoker and made repairs as needed, cleaned the pool, will set up the volleyball net and horseshoes and help me truss the pig and get it into the smoker. He will also relieve me of my pig sitting duties so I can shower Saturday morning.

I am blessed to have a wonderful family that supports me in all my crazy entertaining ideas. Without them, this would not be possible.

Comments (7)