SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjcaramel

Spending time with boyfriend and his son

MJCaramel
21 years ago

I am in a serious relationship that may very soon lead to engagement. I have known my boyfriend for a very long time (15 yrs.) but as friends. He ended up taking me to my high school prom in 1998, but we didn't start dating until the summer of 2000, when he told me he had gotten his sister's bestfriend pregnant and she gave birth in May of 2000. He claims that they never had a real relationship with her, and the one time he had sex with her she ended up preganant, and kept the baby because she thought he would finally be with her after years of harrassing him.

Well, I don't like dating guys with baggage, but since I have known my BF for so long I made the exception, and we started dating exclusively in July of 2001. Since his son's birth he has had him overnight once, and because of the resentment that the mother of his son feels(not getting the relationship from my BF) he hasn't been able to see him on a regular basis.

Since I am in college, my BF and I see each other on weekends religiously, but finally he is going to court for visitation, and he says to me that he will be seeing his son weekends now. I feel that this is great and they need some time alone, but he wants to see us both the whole weekend.

My issue is, I don't mind spending time with his son, but I don't want to spend my whole weekend with them. It cuts in on our private time and it's also not my responsibility. My BF feels that it's not fair to him, because I won't see him the whole weekend as we have for the past year, but I feel it's not fair to me either. He also says that if I can't do it now I won't be able to when we're married, but I feel that if we get married then I have to deal with it.

How do I make him see that?

MJ

Comments (11)