SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Broan Bath Fan Motor Hum

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

Ok, I have three 20 year old Broan bath fans in my home...50CFM and 2 sone according to the label. Two had been ramping up to speed slowly. I cleaned them...no better. I called Broan. Very nice lady but I had issues finding the exact replacement. I went to Lowes and they had a motor / impeller set for $15 that fit my unit exactly. I hooked it up.

The fan blowing sounds about the same but the new motor (and I tried 2) make a humming noise that gets amplified in the housing when in place. If I turn the motor upside down it goes away...of course you can not mount it like that.

Its possibly so annoying because when used in my bedroom's master bath, if I leave it on after a shower and go lay in bed...it sounds just like the garage door opening below us.

Any ideas? Is this just a case of they don't make them like they used too? It definely vibrate more than the old and none of my other fans have this hummmmmmm....unless they are all just wore out.

I see they sell quieter fans but we do want some noise in there for privacy...just not a hummmmmmmmmmmmm.AND was hoping to avoid reducting a new fan.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)