SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davmp

Can I add more breakers to my main panel? (images)

davmp
14 years ago

I was hoping to add two more 15A breakers to my home's main electrical panel, but after taking off the cover I realized I've got a few questions and was hoping someone could help out with some answers.

My panel is a GE 120/240VAC 3 wire 1 phase, 200A max.

It say cat. no. TLM2020C MOD. 1 (Type 1 indoor enclosure)

It has a UL Listed No. of EE-851267

Unfortunately, I can't find a "model number" designation anywhere.

1. The first question is: How do I figure out if there's a limit or rating of any kind that would prevent me from adding new breakers? That is, I see there are spaces available on the left line of breakers, but does that mean I can simply add new breakers? To my understanding, as long as adding the new circuits doesn't increase the total demand over 200A, I should be okay, right? Here's an overview of the box and it's wiring diagram:

Second question: I see that whomever wired the box originally took great pains to keep all the "neutral" white wires on the left side bus whereas the only things connected to the right side bus are naked copper (which I'm assuming is ground wires that just couldn't fit in the two larger clamps at the top?) Anyway, since the buses are bridged together (including all grounds too!) and the terminals on the left bus are all fully used but those on the right are not, can I simply connect the whites from the new circuits to the right bus? Is there any reason not to do so? Would it be better to double up connections in a single terminal on the left bus (like someone did for two bare copper wires on the right bus)?

Comments (28)