SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caththegardener

plumbing near main breaker panel

caththegardener
14 years ago

I hope this is the right place for this question. Today after turning our water on to the outside plumbing we found that a pipe must have burst during the winter. Where the water main is in our garage a new line was added to connect to an outside faucet (done by a previous owner). This pipe runs up the wall, across the ceiling of the garage and back down the opposite wall where the outside faucet is. Luckily once the water started pouring from the ceiling I could shut off the water by the main where the newer pipe was connected. We plan to reroute the plumbing now from the pipe (that was connected to the main) instead along the same side of the garage wall and then add a faucet at the front of the garage, eliminating the pipe from going up a wall across the ceiling and back down another wall.

The question I have is that the rerouting would take the pipe across the wall where the main breaker board is installed (the board is about 3 feet from the ground, the pipe would be much lower). Is this something that is something that is okay? I know many people have faucets that come out the front of their garages, but I wasn't sure if the plumbing from the main had to stay to one side of the main breaker board or if plumbing typically crosses in front to provide water on the opposite side of the garage?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (8)