SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedwoman

Do you think I can get breakers for this panel?

weedwoman
14 years ago

I recently bought house in Ohio. It was probably built in the 1940s; and I think the main service panel is original. At some point more recently a smaller subpanel was added, which now has about half the house wiring in it.

The main panel is a Cutler Hammer split-bus panel but the model # is unreadable due to dirt and rust, and the breakers don't have any information on them that I can see (I didn't take any of them out of the panel to check the sides). Does anyone recognize this panel? Mostly what I want to know is can I get replacement breakers for it. I suspect it's old enough that I probably can't, thus the sub-panel. And if it's that old, do I want to? Are the breakers probably still safe? (They do work as switches, I checked them all while I was sorting out the circuits.)

If I take out a breaker and take it to an electrical supply house, will they be able to tell me? Mostly this is just curiosity, there's nothing that's an immediate problem and I'm back in NJ now anyway so it's going to have to wait till I go out there again.

WW

Comments (8)