SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wimom27

Need to vent and get some advice!

wimom27
16 years ago

I think I might have posted about this issue before, but can't remember. Anyway, a few years ago we moved 6 hours from DH's XW because of a job opportunity for DH. She still has her regular visits but obvious changes have had to be made due to travel time (we all meet halfway). Although, every summer we have issues with XW making numerous demands and starting fights/arguments over SD's summer schedule. XW is supposed to have her schedule to us by May 15 every year. It becomes a HUGE fight to even get a schedule then she argues for more time, etc. Then, on top of that she argues about SD being allowed to participate in her activities 2 or 3 times in the summer that might interfere with her weekend, even though she is always given numerous options for "make up" time. My DH has NEVER denied her visitation time or asked her to "give up" any time, just rearrange for their teenage daughter and her schedules.

Okay, so DH and I sat down together and put together a revised agreement which consisted of the actual exchange times we have been doing, additional days on some of the holidays (due to travel time), added an additional week in the summer for XW's visitation, and added a provision to allow SD to participate in 3 specific activities in the summer including a provision that specifically states that in the event that the activity interferes with XW's weekend visit that the visit would revert to the weekend after the activity. This allows for no confusion or rearranging at the last minute, etc.

Okay, so my DH sent this agreement to XW over a month and a half ago and asked that she communicate with him about this agreement so they could sign an agreement that would work for everyone, and asked that she please complete this within 30 days. Well, day 30 came and not a word, so DH emailed her and asked that she bring the agreement with her to the exchange that weekend and they would both sign it there. Well, she sends back a nasty, rude email DEMANDING additional time in the summer and ranting about a funeral from a year and a half ago, which has NOTHING at all to do with the agreement????

So, then DH and I discussed schedules and things and decided it really was not a big deal for the additional time she was requesting in the summer and it wasn't worth the fight anyway... so he emailed her back, made the changes to the agreement and emailed that and said... no problem, you may have the additional time you requested for summer vacation. Well, she sent her BF to pick up SD that weekend, so DH gave the hard copy of the agreement to BF (who is a pretty decent guy... so no issues there) and said he would allow an additional 3 weeks for her to look everything over again and COMMUNICATE with him on it so they could come to an agreement.

Well, now we come down to the deadline. DH has emailed a couple of times in the past week asking XW if she had anything else to discuss on the agreement and to please get it to him this weekend at the exchange. Okay, so first she emails and says she has been too busy to look it over and she will get back to him whenever she gets around to it. WHAT??? Let's get real, in over 50 days she couldn't sit down for 15-20 minutes and thoroughly look over a 1-1/2 pg document????? This woman has no children at home and very few responsibilities other than her job. Even if she was working 80 hours a week (I seriously doubt this is the case), she should be able to make her visitation schedule with her daughter a priority somewhere!!!! This is an agreement GIVING HER a lot of additional time!

Okay, so now today she emails back and says you need to email me a copy of the revised agreement so I can EDIT it and send it back to you! WHAT?????!!!! No communication, no suggestions, no comments.... just she is going to EDIT it! DH already made the changes she requested, so what is left to edit.

This was an agreement made in good faith for the benefit of everyone involved... DH, XW, and their DD! There was a lot of thought and consideration of everyone put into this agreement. There is give and take on both sides. DH offered so many benefits for BM and the only thing he asked in return is that SD be allowed to participate in those 3 specific activities in the summer.

At this point, my DH is getting so fed up with trying to communicate with her and trying to get any sort of realistic agreement with XW that he has said that he would rather just tell her, forget it! We will just continue to stay with the original CO with no additional summer vacation, no additional days over holidays, etc.

The point of having an agreement, before everyone asks, is that this woman cannot work with verbal agreements very well. She takes advantage whenever possible, including not returning SD after visits, making demands for additional time no matter what our schedule or SD's schedule is, arguing every second and counting her minutes for "make up" time, etc. There HAS to be a written agreement in place for them, and even then it is difficult but workable.

We are thinking because of the summer issues especially and that they get out hand every year and cause a lot of undue stress and anxiety for us and SD, that if XW's "edits" are unreasonable or irrational and/or she chooses to just put it off longer without communication and/or without signing anything, that we should take this to a mediator and get it taken care of there. The plan either way is that if/when they can come to a reasonable agreement that after it is signed by both of them that it be submitted to the court and made an official schedule. Has anyone ever done this?

Thank you for letting me get some of this off my chest! If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about the best way to handle this without it becoming WWIII, I would welcome your suggestions and ideas!

Why is it that when you are trying to work things out for everyone's benefit it always has to be such a fight?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES