SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoheartme

Vent! Questions about Ranges, and advice needed

S.
6 years ago

New-ish to the forums, building a custom home and picking out some final details before I place deposits. I'm looking for range recommendations. Husband hates the open legs of most "pro" styles, and we are trying to stay in budget of $6,000 or less. I really only want 36 in, 6 burners, no built in griddle or grill, with convection oven. All gas.

Vent- simmer burners at the BACK of the range, with the "power" burner at the front, and/or immediately in front of the simmer burner. Even on low, "power" burner is too high, but can't reach over taller pots to access simmer burner (which is for possibly delicate things that need more frequent attention, IMO, no?). And the safety factor, of large pots being closest to the stove-tops edge, which means I cook in an odd configuration, avoiding a potentially fatal situation.

Question- any one have a good explanation for this? My husband posits that many home cooks aren't strong/tall enough to lift a heavy pasta pot from one or two burners back. True?

Advice-I am having trouble finding a range I like. Settled on a Monogram (as part of a whole Monogram package), 36 in, 6 burner, convection oven, with all gliding racks, so far so good. But the burners are almost all the same, no simmer/power/etc which is good because I can get lots of heat in the back, but bad because the rep said that the front burners may still be too hot for delicate sauces. Another ding against it, is the enamalized porcelain (or porcelainized enamel, I can't remember) in black, which I don't like. I prefer my stainless top, despite the ease with which they scratch, because they still look great after 6 (rough) years. An older stove had the enamel, and looked terrible all the time; dusty, splotchy, and had ghost stains I could never get out.

So, I'll take any advice or recommendations .

Thanks!

Comments (2)