SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mj2001se

galvanized steel pipe to house wires to panel?

mj2001se
14 years ago

I recently upgraded my service from 110 to 220 in my 1940's home. I did all the work myself and I used a 3 inch galvanized steel pipe to house the three wires when they enter my house from the meter outside. Thats what was there so thats what I replaced it with. The electrical inspectoir failed me for that pipe. He said I can't use it. I wasn't going to change it myslef since it was god awfull getting those three thick wires in it. I call in 3 electricians for estimates and they all said that it is insane that I need to change that, they actually all said that what was there is 10 times better than what they would put in. Well I bit the bullet and paid $1200 to change it to plastic. When my utility company came out to shut the power off they easked if I gave he inspector a hard time because they see what I have in almost every house. I just want to know where I can see, in a code book wher eit says you cant use what I had. I can see if he failed me becasue it was grounded but it was grounded correctly.

Comments (3)