SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philly_gardener

Galvanized mesh wires or viny coated mesh wires?

philly_gardener
14 years ago

Hi, I need some advice on what to buy.

I need to buy galvanized mesh wires or viny coated mesh wires to:

1. Make a simple and inexpensive compost bin to make compost for vetetable garden;

2. Make a low fence for my strawberry patch to block bunnies and rats/mice etc. I will also cover the top with bird netting.

While I was shopping at Lowes last week, I found the galvanized hardware cloth with the 1/2 inch holes. But it has a warning like "Proposition xxxx The State of California warns this product contains a chemical that known to cause birth defect and cancer." This was a surprise for me since several garden books I read suggested using galvanized hardware cloth for garden use.

I saw Home Depot has viny coated mesh wires with 1 inch holes that a mouse/rat may still get in. It does not have a warning on it though. Also the other galvanized mesh wires sold at Home Depot do not have any warning on them either.

Are there different kinds of galvanized mesh wires? some with dangerous chemicals and some do not? Or simply some products do not list warnings?

Any potential health issues with using viny coated mesh wires for vegetable garden?

Any better inexpensive and organic solutions?

Thank you very much!

Comments (7)