SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Recommended wire mesh size of Round Pen to make compost

ZoysiaSod
12 years ago

To make a 4-foot tall, round cylinder out of wire mesh, I wanted to buy hardware cloth with a 1/4-inch-wide mesh like Robertz6 suggested in another thread, but 1/4-inch hardware cloth is expensive locally. The best price I could find was non-locally: $73 on Amazon for 50 feet of 1/4-inch galvanized hardware cloth that's 4 feet tall. (Going to make a 4-foot high cylinder.)

When I saw a local-area farmer on Craig's List selling a 25-foot long roll of brand new, unopened, vinyl-coated, 4-foot tall hardware cloth for $25, I went and got it from him late yesterday. The only thing is the mesh size is 1/2-inch, not 1/4. (The company that made the cloth is G & B.)

Am I giving up any advantages by going with the larger 1/2-inch mesh?

I'm going to cut the 25-foot long roll into a 10-foot long piece so when the piece is shaped into a cylinder, the diameter will be about 3.2 feet.

But I will make the bottom out of denser 1/4-inch mesh hardware cloth from Lowe's so compost doesn't spill out, I hope.

I'll place the cylinder's bottom piece on top of 3 or 4 concrete blocks so air can more easily circulate upwards through the mesh-encircled pile.

I'll get the denser 1/4-inch mesh for the bottom from Lowe's, but the vertical round wall of the cylinder will be wider 1/2-inch mesh.

Am I giving up any advantages by going with the wider 1/2-inch mesh for the cylinder wall? Maybe the wind can carry leaves out of the cylinder more easily? Or voles/rats can get their teeth in between the wider mesh more easily? Thanks.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH