SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eri33

trouble with pseudo-stepdaughter (long)

eri33
21 years ago

I have reached an impass, and I need some advice.

History...

I began a purely platonic friendship with my now significant other, while I was going through a miserable separation and divorce. I had 2 children then 3 and 7. When my divorce was final, we began a more serious relationship. The problem we had was that his ex-girlfriend had gotten pregnant, but didn't let him know until he had moved away. He moved back to own up to his responsibility, and about a month later we began hanging out again. ( we had gone to high school together, but were just buddies) I had developed feeling for him that I let take a back burner to his being there for his ex during her pregnancy.

After his daughter was born, we were in a relationship that his ex despised. She did not want their daughter around me, so I excepted that. I did see her with her mother several times, and his daughter was being treated badly. I let him know what I had seen and he felt it best to move back in with his ex for the benefit of his child. We saw each other only several times a week and I knew that it was killing him to be around "her". When his daughter turned 1, he felt that it would be fine for him to move out. There was a lot of drama from his ex because of me, and on several occasions I told him to go back to her. He refused. The hostility grew toward both him and me to the point of my having to get a no contact order against her for approaching my children, and lurking in the bushes when I dropped him off at his home. We continued seeing one another, all the while she was always giving him grief.

When his daughter turned 2, he had moved in with me and my children. (mostly to recover from an operation where he could have some peace and quiet)

A week into his recovery, he gets a call from his mother telling him to come pick up his daughter. His ex had just dropped her and her clothes off and left. Day later the ex was charged with abandonment of all of her children, as well as abuse of her then 9 year old daughter. (from a previous relationship.)

He asked if he could bring her to my house, and I of course told him yes. All of the sudden I had this 3rd child whom I had never even met. I sat my children down, told them the situation, and asked how they felt about it. They welcomed her with cautious, but opened arms. Things were very hard for almost a year, but they did smooth out over all. My children get along with her.(It's been 3 years)

Close to a year ago I sat down with my significant other to find out why he was so distant towards his daughter, and found out that he felt resentment about the whole situation surrounding his daughter's birth. I told him that I understood,but felt that he needed to make more of an effort to love and spend time with her.

Well now here I am feeling much the same, and I don't know how to tell him without huting his feelings.

I love her, and I know that she needs lots of nurturing, but I find it difficult to be around her. She has a lot of annoying habits, that I did not have to deal with raising my Bio-kids. Her dad will talk to her like she's a baby, carry her around (She's 5 and as tall as my 8 year old) and unless I say anything will let her do things that I don't allow. (eating or drinking all over the house, leaving a mess, jumping on the furniture). I have talked to him on several occasions, and he is making an effort. She however is an extremely stubborn child that I sometimes feel that I could do without, and I feel horrible. I do realize that I am entitled to these feelings, but i just need some advice.

Help!!!

eri33

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022