SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamsteve

Any Stepdaughter's Out There??

hamsteve
16 years ago

Greetings,

My stepdaughter whom I raised from the age of 5, moved in with her previously absent biofather in Florida last January, half way through her Junior year in high school. My relationship with SD was great until she was in 7th grade (13 yo) when she started acting out and getting into trouble at school, wearing slutty clothes, and sneaking out of the house. My wife (biomom) and I had to put some consequences out there and grounded her for sneaking out at night, and linked her priviliges such as cell phone with her grades and effort is school, which was declining rapidly. SD started blaming me for her restrictions and telling her friends that she "hates" her Stepdad. Previously absent biofather starts calling and being the "kid buddy" taking our daughter's side when she had conflict with us. Biofather was promising everything; car, computer, TV in her room, etc. if she would only move in with him. Biofather is single, never remarried, no girlfriend, lonely, and he has always undermined us at every step in parenting, determined to "win" SD over to "his side." My wife has a very difficult time communicating with biofather as he threatens her constantly, and I do cannot communicate with him either as he seems to see me as competition and he is hostile to me also. Biofather has been trying to turn our daughter against us telling her that we "spy" on her and that we are too "strict." All nonsense, however SD believes this stuff.

SD made our lives miserable fighting with us to move down to Florida (we are in VA) desperately wanting to move in with her "dad." It got so bad that we finally let her move to "get this out of her system" and she left in January, half way through her junior year in HS. We found out just before the move that SD's rowdy girlfriend was also secretly moving down to live there also. We were kept in the dark on this, duped, and when we found out we were able to get the girlfriend's parents to wake up and not let their daughter make the move. This was going to be a "party cruise" for sure. Our daughter was furious with us for getting the girlfriend out, however SD did move out.

Our daughter has cut off communication with us and her extended family up here in VA. No card to her mother for Mother's day, no communication to anyone of her extended family up here, and certainly no communication with me. Her friends have been going down to FL to visit with our daughter and they say she is "happy" living in the "country club" home that biofather bought "for her" with the in-ground swimming pool, trips to the beach, sunny Florida lifestyle, etc. The schools are "easier" in Florida and she has many of the toys as promised.

Why is SD cutting us out of her life and not communicating with us? She left angry with us I know, however we wished her well and told her we love her, and I told her I loved her and if she needed anything just call. No calls or anything. How can she not realize how much we loved her and did for her up to age 17? I took care of and loved her as my only daughter. Why is she estranging herself from all of her family up here in VA? As her stepfather why am I being blamed for so much that she did not like in our home, no TV in her room, priviliges tied to her grades, being grounded several times for sneaking out of the house at night, etc. Her mother was the one setting the consequences however I was there as her parent also supporting these consequences. Her friends have told me that our daughter says she "hates" her stepfather (me) when I was very relaxed and just supporting her mother's efforts?? Why am I the one to hate so much?

Here is the big question; this is the only daughter I chose to raise, and now it seems that it has all gone bad with SD estranging herself from all of her family up here in VA. What can I do to get a relationship back with her. I have tried a few quick emails, no response. SD doesn not even communicate with her mother. Obviously biofather is poisoning our daughter against us and the big fancy house with pool and all of the toys is working. Why should we have any hope? Why should I have any hope for a loving relationship in the future?? We will go on, this is just way to sad. Incredible!

Thank you so much for your comments.

Comments (16)