SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete_p_ny

GFCI tied together and other bathroom questions

pete_p_ny
16 years ago

I am redoing a bathroom. In trying to update the bathroom to code so I decided to supply the bathroom outlets with a new #12 circuit based upon a prior post I read here before. In addition, I added a lighting circuit with a #14 circuit brand new to feed several switches (one feeds 2 - wall sconces, one feeds 2 - 4" recessed over the mirror, one feeds 4 - 6" recessed cans for general room lighting)

Questions:

1) Did I really need the #14 circuit to feed the lights, or could the one #12 circuit be adequate for the entire bathroom. Actually, what was there before was a #14 circuit feeding 2 bathrooms plus some other things in the house. Am I overkilling this? I do not want to hog left over panel positions for future work.

2) Could I add an electric floor mat heating system for under the tile on the #12 circuit, the room is small. They are the Warmly Yours or Suntouch systems. Or does that need its own dedicated circuit too? From what I understand, they do not use very much electricity.

3) Were should the exhaust fan be connected to, the #14 or the #12, or does it matter? Does it need to be GFCI protected? If so, I guess I need to install it from the GFCI #12 outlet being there are no #14 outlets with GFCI.

4) The room has 2 outlets on the #12 circuit (one on each side of the vanity). I connected a GFCI to the first outlet and then was planning on running a protected "feed" off the GFCI to the second outlet. But I am not crazy about the different look between the face plates and the fact one has a black and red button. Can I just install a GFCI on the feed from the first installed GFCI? Does this create any issues. Is this a common problem, or is the astethics something I need to get over.

Comments (3)