SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tafkap777

Bathroom Light/Exhaust Fan Help

tafkap777
16 years ago

I am remodling a bathroom and am trying to put in a new light fixture in over the sink. My brother-in-law took the old fixture down and didn't pay any attention to how it was originally wired. What I'm left with is three large "bundles" of wires that I'm dealing with. Each "bundle" contains a white wire, a black wire, and a bare ground wire. I thought I was in good shape considering the fixture I'm putting in has the same three wires.

Let me step back and explain that I have two light switches in the bathroom. One operates the light fixture over the sink and the other switch operates the light/exhaust fan.

I thought I did what made sense and connected all the white wires together, all the black wires together and the same with the grounds.

When I turned the breaker back on, the light/exhaust fan worked fine, but the new light fixture over the sink was on - even though the switch was on the "off" position. When I turned the switch on, it tripped the circuit breaker. Not exactly what I expected...

I was able to figure out which "bundle" belongs to which switch, but I have no idea where to go from here. Obviously my brilliant idea of hooking all the same colors together isn't right. What do I need to do??? I sure wish my neighbor the electrician wasn't on a fishing trip until next weekend... how inconsiderate of him.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)