SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Need ALOT of help with bathroom exhaust fan

kbear_15
8 years ago

I'm interested in having quieter bathroom exhaust fans than the one my builder will supply...but I am very lost and have no idea how to go about narrowing down the selection/choosing one. Based on various articles/forums I've read, I am deciding between Panasonic and Fantech. However, I don't know how to move forward and pick one....For example,

1. What is the difference between continuous vs spot vs balanced ventilation?

2. What is HRV/ERV vs inline and when would you choose one over the other?

3. When is a dual fan preferred?

4. Is single vs multi-speed fan better and why?

5. Is a fan with a timer vs humidity control better? I've read some with timers aren't great, and some recommend a separate wall fan switch with timer. What are all the reasons for getting a separate switch? Where does one buy/purchase these switches and what specific ones have people used?

6. Where (store vs online) do people purchase panasonic or fantech fans for the best price?

7. If purchasing a fan with a light, which light is preferred and why?

8. I read some people like Panasonic Whisper Warm - is this similar to having a heat lamp in the bathroom? How well does it work? Is the light separate from the fan?

9. Once you calculate the minimum CFM for the individual room, do you get 25% more CFM due to static loss?

The bathrooms I'm considering putting fans in include:

a) 8feet, 9in x 5ft x 9 ft ceiling (need >53CFM?); Plan to put fan with light near/over shower.

b) 8 feet x 5ft x 8 ft ceiling (need >43 CFM); This bathroom has tub/shower combo and is small. Not sure if I'll do fan + light or just fan.

c) Master: 10ft, 1/2 in x 8 ft, 6.5 in x 8 ft ceiling (need >91 CFM); Plan to put fan with light over shower.

Any specific fan recommendations based on the above would be really helpful. Thank you!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida