SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Bathroom exhaust fan problem - please help

lincann
11 years ago

My bathroom exhaust fan is doing anything but ! Noticed today when replacing the bulb and cleaning the grooves that a lot of hot 'attic smelling' air was flowing all around the vent cover. Temps today are 100 degrees, so had two thoughts: 1.Keep fan running to exhaust the heat out instead of in and 2. Line up someone to better insulate around the fan. Problem is the fan doesn't seem to be drawing any air out of the room. Even held a tissue up to the fan and nothing although it sounds like it's running smoothly.

The fan is a Broan QTR series fan/light/night light combo. The exhaust is vented to the outside by a short piece of ductwork with a flapper at the outside to keep birds, etc. out (like a dryer vent would be done). It was professionally installed in 2008, but installer has since moved to another state, so I can't contact him.

I get that the area needs insulation to reduce the heat/cold when the fan is not in use, but what is keeping it from even pulling a tissue up to it when on. I've never had the feeling that it wasn't doing the job, but now have serious doubts as I don't think this problem just started.

I can usually figure things out if given the facts and some thought, but this has me baffled. Counting on my Gardenweb buddies for a bit of 'handyman' advice. Happy 4th !

Comments (8)