SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarajk28

I was the snotty teenage stepdaughter

sarajk28
17 years ago

In reading this forum, I have to laugh - because so much of what is described was me.

My mother abandoned me and my two brothers to the custody of our father when I was not quite a year old. He stayed single for years, but remarried when I was 9. That didn't go over so well. Up until that point, we had no rules, no limits, no nothing - and were happy. Then stepmother #1 came along. Her kids were grown, she was a little older. She had expectations, and DEMANDS. All my 9 year old brain could comprehend was that she was dictating my father's every move. He was no longer a man, just some strange puppet for this fire-breathing, inhuman creature, known as "the stepmother". I didn't hate her, I just didn't want her controlling my life. Well, she didn't for very long, and we all were happy, well almost all, if memory serves, my Dad was devastated.

Enter Stepmother #2. I was 15 when this woman came into my life. She seemed really nice, and she was, actually. But she didn't realize what she was getting herself into. For pretty much my entire life (with the exception of Step#1's time), I had never had anyone dictating what I should do. Never. My dad and I had an agreement, not a good one, but I sure loved it at the time "You do your thing, I'll do mine - leave my life alone, I'll do the same in return". So, after years of staying out all night, drinking, and doing whatever, again, someone wants to come along and change everything. And she did, for awhile. Exit stepmom #2.

Had I realized the totality of my actions, I never would have been so self absorbed as to cause so much devastation. Truth is, very few children or teenagers can see anything but their own life, their own happiness. They think their life is over because of one bad day. They have no concept of tomorrow or 20 years from now. Had I known I would have driven my father to a life of solitude, robbed him of his chance to love and be loved; I would have made some serious changes, but I couldn't and I didn't. When I left home and wed, I could finally see what I had done. I worried about him being alone; who is cooking for him? will he see a doctor if he sick? is he lonely? My father died not long afterward.Hind sight is always 20/20, right?

So, step-parents, take it from someone who was once that child that ticks you off so greatly - they only see themselves. It's not you, it is circumstance. One day, they will grow up, and unless you are truly a monster, they will see what it is that you bring to the family and that it is much bigger than they are. By the way, all you stepmoms out there who don't understand the feelings these kids have for their biomoms that are losers - it's not really that at all. If your own mother can't see fit to love you, then what the hell is this woman doing?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County