SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nivea_gw

Your personality and others

nivea
15 years ago

The "who here would you want as a SM" thread and a couple of others lately got me thinking about the role of an individuals personality and how well they will mesh with others in a blended family. For some reason it's a bit easier to accept flaws from a bio (parent or child) than a new person. I really think personality has a lot to do with how well a newly blended family will come together.

Anyway, a friend showed me about the myer briggs personality model a few years ago and I was astonished at how well they pegged me. LOL. It was a paid to take test by an "official" but I've taken the free ones online and have gotten the same results. It's really interesting stuff and explains some reasons why my SM and I just never really got along.

And it's FUN and think it would be a fun thing to do here. We don't have to be at each others throats all the time LOL. So here is a link http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp.

Once you get your score you can google for more descriptions. There's a bunch of info out there. What careers, relationships etc etc would be a good fit for you.

I'm an ENFP btw.

Comments (34)

• Wendy Brewer
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We did this a short time ago for work. I'm a very strong ESTJ. :)

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

I couldn't access the website. Is there another link, Nivea?

I've always wanted to take a personality test!

• Related Discussions

Do you let your cleaning person near your new kitchen appliances?

Q

Comments (53)
    Agree with eleena. In my bathroom, I can't get the cleaner for the tile on the mirror, or the faucet cleaner on the floor, or the floor cleaner on the faucet. You can't clean the whole thing without a damn spreadsheet. Teasing aside, having a simple cleaning service is not an upper class thing, at least not for two-job households. However, the reality is, having an intelligent, reliable cleaning person is an upper-class luxury, unless you happen to be lucky. I would love to have a touchup every week or two. However, I remember what the cleaning people did at my mom's place when she got sick and couldn't do it all herself. Each week, something new was broken, scratched, stained or missing. She couldn't afford to supplement the housekeeper's income by running out and buying new carpets or collectibles or lamps on a weekly basis--which is precisely what you are doing if you allow someone to break something in your house without paying for it. She lucked out for a while with an old Italian lady who cleaned like she did, but for the most part they were more trouble and money than they were worth. Now, if you can afford real staff, then you can get into human resources techniques. But if you can't, then you're not the employer, just a customer, and you take what you get.
    ...See More

Wednesday's Question's............

Q

Comments (7)
    Who is your favorite person other than family and friends? Out of family and friends? Um... a counselor at the facility my son is at that calls if anything goes wrong. He seems to connect with her. How old were you 7 years ago? 34 What is the most important, best thing you have ever learned? That I am strong enough to take whatever comes my way. Do you believe in happily ever after? Not without working at it, it doesn't just happen. Do you ever feel like you're living in a music video? No, never. Is there anything bugging you right now? If so what? That they won't just take my gall bladder out and I have to spend half of my day on tests tomorrow. How many new friends have you made in 2008? Maybe 10 or so. If you could change something that you said to someone, would you? Heavens yes, to more than one person also. Have you ever done something that you thought you would never do? I eat sushi all the time and I love acupuncture. I remember a time when I said NEVER to both. Have a great day!
    ...See More

What your birth flower says about your personality

Q

Comments (17)
    When I was a little kid there was a nice man on our street that grew and recommended Ca-len-doo'-las (with the accent on the third syllable). My grandmother always referred to him as Mr. Ca-len-doo'-la. When I got into gardening and heard people talking about ku'len-ju-la I didn't know what they were referring to. So Kathy, what does being a Calendula say about you?
    ...See More

What was your hardest time after your most important person died?

Q

Comments (35)
    Our son was killed by a falling tree when we were camping in Northern California. It waswas the same day Elvis Presley died. Every single year I am reminded II hear people say it was the worst day of their life. I get thrown back to the morning we went to make the funeral arrangements seeing the headlines. Scott died 2 weeks before his 8th birthday and three days before our daughter turned eleven. Our family missed him every single day. Fortunately the horrible memories of his death have been replaced by all the good times we had. He was a funny kid and made us laugh. He called cottage cheese college cheese. May the acute stages of grief fade for everyone. As several people have mentioned there are times when you are blindsided with a memory and tears flow.
    ...See More
  • ceph
    15 years ago

ENFJ

You are:
    * slightly expressed extravert
    * slightly expressed intuitive personality
    * moderately expressed feeling personality
    * distinctively expressed judging personality

No surprises there.

• nivea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey junegemstar, just go to google and put in "myer briggs personality test" and there will be a bunch of tests you can take. Some are more accurate than others, but it will give you an idea. There are also a lot of sites that will break down each letter for you and give descriptions so you can see a better fit.

• quirk
    15 years ago

INTJ:
    distinctively expressed introvert
    distinctively expressed intuitive personality
    slightly expressed thinking personality
    slightly expressed judging personality

Nope, no surprises.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

INTJ

You are:
    *very expressed introvert
    *distinctly expressed intuitive personality
    *slightly expressed thinking personality
    *slightly expressed judging personality

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

• catlettuce
    15 years ago

ENFP

slightly expressed extravert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed feeling personality

slightly expressed perceiving personality

Fun!

• nivea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey catlettuce *high-five* ENFP's...woot woot! Haha. Here is a good page to get descriptions....http://www.personalitypage.com/portraits.html

As an ENFP, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is internal, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit in with your personal value system.

ENFPs are warm, enthusiastic people, typically very bright and full of potential. They live in the world of possibilities, and can become very passionate and excited about things. Their enthusiasm lends them the ability to inspire and motivate others, more so than we see in other types. They can talk their way in or out of anything. They love life, seeing it as a special gift, and strive to make the most out of it.

ENFPs have an unusually broad range of skills and talents. They are good at most things which interest them. Project-oriented, they may go through several different careers during their lifetime. To onlookers, the ENFP may seem directionless and without purpose, but ENFPs are actually quite consistent, in that they have a strong sense of values which they live with throughout their lives. Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true Self, walking in step with what they believe is right. They see meaning in everything, and are on a continuous quest to adapt their lives and values to achieve inner peace. They're constantly aware and somewhat fearful of losing touch with themselves. Since emotional excitement is usually an important part of the ENFP's life, and because they are focused on keeping "centered", the ENFP is usually an intense individual, with highly evolved values.

An ENFP needs to focus on following through with their projects. This can be a problem area for some of these individuals. Unlike other Extraverted types, ENFPs need time alone to center themselves, and make sure they are moving in a direction which is in sync with their values. ENFPs who remain centered will usually be quite successful at their endeavors. Others may fall into the habit of dropping a project when they become excited about a new possibility, and thus they never achieve the great accomplishments which they are capable of achieving.

Most ENFPs have great people skills. They are genuinely warm and interested in people, and place great importance on their inter-personal relationships. ENFPs almost always have a strong need to be liked. Sometimes, especially at a younger age, an ENFP will tend to be "gushy" and insincere, and generally "overdo" in an effort to win acceptance. However, once an ENFP has learned to balance their need to be true to themselves with their need for acceptance, they excel at bringing out the best in others, and are typically well-liked. They have an exceptional ability to intuitively understand a person after a very short period of time, and use their intuition and flexibility to relate to others on their own level.

Because ENFPs live in the world of exciting possibilities, the details of everyday life are seen as trivial drudgery. They place no importance on detailed, maintenance-type tasks, and will frequently remain oblivous to these types of concerns. When they do have to perform these tasks, they do not enjoy themselves. This is a challenging area of life for most ENFPs, and can be frustrating for ENFP's family members.

An ENFP who has "gone wrong" may be quite manipulative - and very good it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities, because that would not jive with their value systems.

ENFPs sometimes make serious errors in judgment. They have an amazing ability to intuitively perceive the truth about a person or situation, but when they apply judgment to their perception, they may jump to the wrong conclusions.

ENFPs who have not learned to follow through may have a difficult time remaining happy in marital relationships. Always seeing the possibilities of what could be, they may become bored with what actually is. The strong sense of values will keep many ENFPs dedicated to their relationships. However, ENFPs like a little excitement in their lives, and are best matched with individuals who are comfortable with change and new experiences.

Having an ENFP parent can be a fun-filled experience, but may be stressful at times for children with strong Sensing or Judging tendancies. Such children may see the ENFP parent as inconsistent and difficult to understand, as the children are pulled along in the whirlwind life of the ENFP. Sometimes the ENFP will want to be their child's best friend, and at other times they will play the parental authoritarian. But ENFPs are always consistent in their value systems, which they will impress on their children above all else, along with a basic joy of living.

ENFPs are basically happy people. They may become unhappy when they are confined to strict schedules or mundane tasks. Consequently, ENFPs work best in situations where they have a lot of flexibility, and where they can work with people and ideas. Many go into business for themselves. They have the ability to be quite productive with little supervision, as long as they are excited about what they're doing.

Because they are so alert and sensitive, constantly scanning their environments, ENFPs often suffer from muscle tension. They have a strong need to be independent, and resist being controlled or labelled. They need to maintain control over themselves, but they do not believe in controlling others. Their dislike of dependence and suppression extends to others as well as to themselves.

ENFPs are charming, ingenuous, risk-taking, sensitive, people-oriented individuals with capabilities ranging across a broad spectrum. They have many gifts which they will use to fulfill themselves and those near them, if they are able to remain centered and master the ability of following through.

• believer
    15 years ago

INFJ.....thats what I am or so it says.

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

I am ENFP.

Extravert, iNtuitive, Feeler, Perceiver (ENFP)
    ENFPs represent between 6 and 8% of the U.S. population

Curious, energetic, adaptable, and creative, ENFPs like considering unconventional approaches. They enjoy batting around ideas and finding creative solutions and are energized and intrigued by new possibilities and anything out of the ordinary. ENFPs tend to be talkative, enthusiastic, playful, and generally fun-loving people. Warm and caring, ENFPs have strong personal values upon which they base most decisions. Conversations with ENFPs can be very circular as they excitedly move from one topic to the next, making connections and associations. Unconventional and occasionally irreverent, they pride themselves on their uniqueness and originality. Optimistic, and spontaneous, ENFPs have a strong sense of the possible. For them, life is an exciting drama. Because they are so interested in possibilities, ENFPs see significance in all things and prefer to keep lots of options open.

ENFPs Tend To Be:

Creative, resourceful & naturally curious
    Â Highly diplomatic consensus builders
    Â Perceptive about people; great collaborators
    Â Enthusiastic & inspiring communicators
    Â Able to "think outside the box" & see possibilities
    Â Adaptable; able to shift gears & change directions quickly

Sounds right on point.

I have a question for you all...... does your personality profile correlate to your astrological sign?
    I'm a gemini, and the explanation for ENFP sounds a lot like a description of a gemini. Just wondering.....

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

INTP or The Architect

You are:
    very expressed introvert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed thinking personality

slightly expressed perceiving personality

Architects need not be thought of as only interested in drawing blueprints for buildings or roads or bridges. They are the master designers of all kinds of theoretical systems, including school curricula, corporate strategies, and new technologies. For Architects, the world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained - and re-designed. External reality in itself is unimportant, little more than raw material to be organized into structural models. What is important for Architects is that they grasp fundamental principles and natural laws, and that their designs are elegant, that is, efficient and coherent.

Architects are rare - maybe one percent of the population - and show the greatest precision in thought and speech of all the types. They tend to see distinctions and inconsistencies instantaneously, and can detect contradictions no matter when or where they were made. It is difficult for an Architect to listen to nonsense, even in a casual conversation, without pointing out the speaker's error. And in any serious discussion or debate Architects are devastating, their skill in framing arguments giving them an enormous advantage. Architects regard all discussions as a search for understanding, and believe their function is to eliminate inconsistencies, which can make communication with them an uncomfortable experience for many.

Ruthless pragmatists about ideas, and insatiably curious, Architects are driven to find the most efficient means to their ends, and they will learn in any manner and degree they can. They will listen to amateurs if their ideas are useful, and will ignore the experts if theirs are not. Authority derived from office, credential, or celebrity does not impress them. Architects are interested only in what make sense, and thus only statements that are consistent and coherent carry any weight with them.

Architects often seem difficult to know. They are inclined to be shy except with close friends, and their reserve is difficult to penetrate. Able to concentrate better than any other type, they prefer to work quietly at their computers or drafting tables, and often alone. Architects also become obsessed with analysis, and this can seem to shut others out. Once caught up in a thought process, Architects close off and persevere until they comprehend the issue in all its complexity. Architects prize intelligence, and with their grand desire to grasp the structure of the universe, they can seem arrogant and may show impatience with others who have less ability, or who are less driven.

Albert Einstein as the iconic Rational is an Architect

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

I'm an ENFP, too! (Actually, I think I would say I'm an I/ENFP because that axis is close to the middle point on the test results and I very much feel like BOTH an introvert and an extrovert... or someotimes one and sometimes the other.) Interesting stuff!

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

HAHAHAHA. There are alot of points that definatly are me though.

I am all about theoretical debate (even if it's controversial) and believe it or not I am very much so a loner. I despise crowds! That's why I don't sing very often. As much as I love music I had clubs and bars adn I'm comfortable onstage but hate having to mingle. Blah.

What a cool site! Thanks for sharing Nivea:)

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

Wow, there are a lot of us ENFP's. What are your astrological signs? Both the personality test and a description of Gemini explain my personality perfectly.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

INFJ
    moderately expressed introvert

very expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

SO far I am the only INTP! God, I am SUCH a loner that I can't even have a normal personality type.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

I'm an ENFJ, too.
    Ceph - maybe I should be your step mom!!! :-)

• silversword
    15 years ago

INFJ

• kathline
    15 years ago

Hmm. I am INTJ, with the I at 88, N at 84, T at 25, and the J at 1

Tests like this are accurate, and they are not, all at the same time. A lot of the questions, I felt were too open ended. QUestions like "its difficult to get you excited", I would have preferred to be able to answer, depends on the situation, rather than a straight yes or no. Many other questions, I would have answered depending on the circumstances.

There are in depth versions of this test that employers routinely ask you to take before hiring for an executive position, and that are interpreted directly by a licensed professional. My husband has had them done, and I have found their description of his personality to be right on the money.

• theotherside
    15 years ago

INTJ.

• ashley1979
    15 years ago

ESFJ - not really surprised; probably none of you would be either. I'm sure it comes out in my posts quite frequently.

• mom2emall
    15 years ago

I too am an ENFJ! I even checked my career path stuff and saw that I chose one of the careers it recommended for me(teacher).

• wrychoice1
    15 years ago

INFJ
    This changed from a solid INFP prior to my first husband's sudden death. After he died, I had to adjust my style from being more "laid back, go with the flow" to being much more organized and task-oriented.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

ENFP.

Interestingly, the page I found said that only 6% to 8% of the population is ENPF.

I'm Sagittarius with Gemini rising-
    both are very extroverted signs.

• nivea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, look at all these ENFP's. Pretty cool :) I haven't met another one in real life that I know of.

I did some reading on this model of personality types and apparently, N's are pretty rare in and of themselves. Like only 25% of the population. They can be found on the internet a lot and look at us all here! Haha.

I think it's funny that the two of the SM's I picked for myself (Kathline & FD) have personality types that mesh well with my personality. And JNM is pretty similar to myself, but with the J.

Also, I agree with Kathline. They can be accurate and inaccurate all at the same time. I've read that you've got to take more than one test and come up with a consistent answer and test throughout the day to come up with a type that best fits you. Or do it with a professional.

• nivea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Doodle, you're in pretty good company with famous INTP's. And I think it's even rarer to find a female NT. That's pretty cool, don't you think?

Also there are a LOT of INTP groups/message boards on the net. You might be interested in that. I think an INTP came up with this model as well.

• steppschild
    15 years ago

This was interesting. I am INFJ. It seems that many of us placed in to that personality type.

• ceph
    15 years ago

Mom2emall - I also thought it was interesting that it suggested teaching (I coordinate an outreach program that shares science with kids, so I teach for fun)

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFJ.html said some of these things:

This one made me laugh "Because ENFJ's people skills are so extraordinary, they have the ability to make people do exactly what they want them to do."
    My sister once said "Ceph always seems to get her way, but no one ever seems to mind... I think it's because she makes it seem like her way is what YOU want too!"

"They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others."
    Me to a tee!

"It's natural to their personality type that they will tend to place other people's needs above their own, but they need to stay aware of their own needs so that they don't sacrifice themselves in their drive to help others."
    My supervisor gives me heck for this all the time "Ceph, you need to stop letting other people take advantage of you. You need to make sure that you know what YOU need from yourself and make that happen before you worry about what other people need of you"

"ENFJs like for things to be well-organized, and will work hard at maintaining structure and resolving ambiguity. They have a tendency to be fussy, especially with their home environments. "
    LOL - much to my disorganized FDH's dismay, this is so very me.

"ENFJs do well in positions where they deal with people. They are naturals for the social committee."
    Hey - I spent two years as social director, secretary and webmaster for my undergraduate department's student association!

"They get excited about possibilities for the future, but may become easily bored and restless with the present."
    BINGO! I love to plan ahead, and consider the possibilities, but the now is blah.

"An ENFJ who has not found their place in the world is likely to be extremely sensitive to criticism, and to have the tendency to worry excessively and feel guilty."
    I am a real worrywart and find it very difficult not to take things personally. This has been getting better over the past few years, since I've started learning who I am and what I want, but it's still a struggle. I especially feel guilty when I do put myself first for a change - I worry that I a letting someone down.

"They are also likely to be very manipulative and controling with others. "
    I would prefer not to think of myself as manipulative, but I know that I can be if I don't keep it in check. I am definitely controlling though - I love to be the head honcho and really have a hard time handing control of me over to someone else, even someone reliable (FDH, a doctor, etc)

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

Sylviatexas, I'm a Gemini with a Sagitarius rising. I guess it does correlate!!

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

Hoot Hoot for the one little INTP! HAHAHAHA. Thanks for the extra info on the sites. I'm kindof interested to read up on it and possibly take another quiz to make sure I was categorized correctly. It apparently IS pretty rare to be a female INTP because I couldn't find very many exampples.

I have always been told I am more MALE than FEMALE. My parents have always said that god must of changed his mind last minute with me. As far as emotional things go I have never been very feminine at all. I have been accused of being obtuse at times. Hmmmmmm.....sounds INTP to me.

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Sun in Pisces, Moon in Cancer, Scorpio rising: ALL WATER!

I've read a good bit in astrology and find it fascinating. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I do check my astro.com horoscope daily and often find it usually makes sense for my life. One thing that was really interesting that I saw on tv, though, was this show "Mind Control" on SciFi network where this British guy is like a reformed 'parlor charlatan' who wants to share all his tricks with everyone so that we can see how easily/often we can be manipulated by various schemes, advertising, etc. Fascinating show. Anyway, in one segment he gathered about 7 people, got their birth info and after a day or so handed them each a sealed envelope with an eight-page-long very detailed description of their personalities. They were all interviewed after reading these and all were amazed at how accurate the descriptions were. Then he got them all together and had them show each other their descriptions and they were ALL EXACTLY THE SAME descriptions. So yeah, I'm intrigued with astrology but that show was very eye-opening!

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

Serenity now, My mother's ex-H was a Scorpio with a Cancer rising and Pieces moon. My mother is mostly fire signs, so you can imagine why they divorced.
    I have a cancer moon also, and so does my DH. Actually, I think every guy I've dated had various sun signs all with cancer moons. Weird.

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Hey, junegemstar, since Sagittarius (the Centaur) & Gemini (the Twins) are both dual signs...
    does that mean each one of us is actually 4 people???

It would explain a few things...

• junegemstar
    15 years ago

............You know what?

It would explain A LOT!!