What was your hardest time after your most important person died?
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (35)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
what are your hardest seeds to germinate...
Comments (33)Often when seeds are hard to germinate, it's because they have not been given the proper conditions. I use a heated, lighted greenhouse to germinate most of my seeds. It is kept at 75 degrees during the day, a little cooler at night. Works great for all Solanaceae, Cucurbitaceae, and Fabaceae, which love heat. I couldn't get celery to germinate there, though. That did better in my unheated basement, under conditions which would have rotted the others. I tried growing Martynia (the young pods can be eaten like okra), and attempted to start them in peat pots the first time as transplants. Only 1 of 16 cells came up - disappointing. I threw the dead cells on the garden, and turned them under in the Fall. In June the next year, almost all of those "dead" seeds germinated! They just needed cold treatment to trigger them. It turns out that the best way for me to grow them, is to just let them volunteer. C. chinense peppers often have delayed or staggered germination for me, even from fresh seed. Same for some eggplant; "Casper" has staggered germination even from new seed, while "Diamond" has nearly perfect germination even after 5 years. Go figure. Parsnips give me poor germination, but I'm probably getting them in too late... my soil is generally too waterlogged to plant in Spring. They might be better winter sown, since wild parsnips grow in my area. Bitter melon germinates well in the heated greenhouse - when the seed is only a few years old. It doesn't age as well as cucumbers or melons, though, and has more sporadic germination after about 4 years or so. Some gourds have given me trouble, but that was usually seed from swaps, of unknown age. They can have very prolonged germination. Chilliwin, I've had winged bean seeds sent to me that had zero germination - completely dead. Good seeds will respond to soaking. Soaking them overnight, and planting only those which expand the most, has worked well for me. Those which are slow to expand can be soaked for another night, after which you will probably get a few more good ones. Old seeds can sometimes be revived by a nitrate soak. Add 1 tsp. of a high-nitrate liquid fertilizer to a gallon of water. If an organic fertilizer is used (such as manure tea) then boil the solution to destroy pathogens & allow it to cool. Yeah, boiled manure tea... wouldn't that smell great in the house. ;-) Plant the seeds in sterile seed starter, then soak the pots in a tray of solution overnight, and drain any excess in the morning. If any additional water is needed to keep the soil moist, use only plain water (if chlorinated, allow the water to air out overnight in a bowl). This technique will work on a wide range of seeds, from beans to tomatoes. I had some yardlong bean seed that was sent to me, which looked shriveled & under-developed. The first time I tried to start them in pots, I got 0/32. The next year, I tried the same seed with the nitrate soak method, and got about 60% germination. Too bad they turned out to be daylength sensitive. :-(...See Moredoes your garden reflect your personality? Which gardens do?
Comments (18)I have thought about this often lately because we are trying to plan a new section for the backyard that includes a path through the garden. I love exploring/discovering new things so a path that curves around and is surrounded by beautiful and fun things (garden statues, water fixture, etc...) is very appealing to me. I haven't quite figured out the design yet as I want to include a climbing rose on an arbor as well. I'm more of a planter, not a planner! Planning kind of takes the fun out of it for me. I like to move things around. If it's true "All gardens are a form of autobiography" then you would look at mine and say OCD! LOL I got addicted to daylilies and bought 88 in 2 years. Now I am down to 75 but idealy, for my small space, I need to further bring down my collection to 50 which will be very hard to do. I also deadhead EVERY day so yeh, a bit OCD. I getting addicted to roses now. :)...See MoreOf your most recently aquired, what's your fav's?
Comments (72)I got this cutting at the beginning of August, I love it. Hoya Benguetensis - Whole plant Hoya Benguetensis - First new leaf I also got this imperalis cutting in a trade and I really really like it, it seems like a fast rooter/grower, got it a couple months ago at the most. I have another imperalis from the hawaii grower and it hasn't done a thing and got it as a small plant, got it in the spring. I have both in southern light. I frequently have to turn this one b/c of leaning toward the light.... shanna...See MoreSTOP your reno! most important layout tip ever!
Comments (38)Chicagoans, your egg story is as funny as Marcolo's pie weights! (My own ketchup story is just sad, not funny.) For those who've never heard of them, pie weights (which have been around in one form or another for at least a hundred years), beans, rice, or a second pie tin, are put in a pie shell that one is pre-baking to keep it from bubbling. There are some kinds of pie that you make in the raw dough, and some for which you bake the (bottom) crust before filling. From Chef's Catalog:...See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

PRO TIPSThe Most Important Steps in Any Client Meeting
Learn the key to moving a homeowner efficiently through the sales process
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Make the Most of Your Time at High Point Market
Find new vendors, learn new things, scout for clients, stay organized and have a great time this month
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhat to Do After a Hurricane or Flood
How you treat your home after a natural disaster can make all the difference in its future livability — and your own personal safety
Full Story
ECLECTIC HOMESMy Houzz: Personalized Updates in an 1880s Cincinnati Home
First-time homeowners say goodbye to wood paneling and hello to an eclectic, cozy home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCouple Renovates to Spend More Time in the Kitchen
Artistic mosaic tile, custom cabinetry and a thoughtful layout make the most of this modest-size room
Full Story
FIREPLACESBefore and After: 6 Dramatic Fireplace Makeovers
See how designers refresh the look of a fireplace with everything from a simple paint job to a new stone surround
Full Story
MOST POPULAR9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Personal Holiday Traditions
What winter rituals mean the most to you and yours? Post your stories and pictures
Full Story
KITCHEN MAKEOVERSBefore and After: 3 Kitchen Remodels in 185 Square Feet or Less
Refaced cabinets, clever storage and better layouts make these kitchens feel bigger, brighter and more functional
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSHouzz Tour: Making Room for Family Time in 1,200 Square Feet
Architects transform a dark 1880 row house with a renovation that improves the layout and lets in the light
Full Story
sheilajoyce_gw