SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dudenose

House circuit over/ under voltage problem

dudenose
15 years ago

I have standard 220 service to my house, with each leg reading 120 volts from the transformer coming into my circuit-breaker panel. I have a 30-amp breaker on one of the legs (it's not a 220-volt breaker) that feeds an RV that we have parked next to our house (the RV is wired for 110 service). When the RV is pulling a significant load, the voltage on the RV leg will drop considerably, while the voltage on the other leg will rise a corresponding amount. For instance, if the RV's electric heater and microwave are both turned on, then the service leg which holds the RV circuit will read as low as 100 volts, and the other leg will rise as high as 140 volts. I have tried switching the legs that the RV breaker is plugged into, but the problem remains.

Since those service legs feed all of the other circuits in my house, that over/ under voltage change can be read at any outlet in my house. This is causing various problems from blowing out light bulbs (from over voltage) to tripping computer UPS systems (from under voltage).

I am looking for ideas that might be causing this problem. Is it simply a matter of balancing out the load on the different service legs, or could the wiring in the RV be causing some problem, or something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (14)