SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

Contemplating separate bedrooms-need suggestions

pensivern
11 years ago

My husband and I are in our early 50's, semi empty nesters with a 3 bedroom house. We currently share a bed which although is king sized is still unfortunately not conducive to a good nights sleep, at least on my end. Between working different shifts, a restless dog (my husband invited one nite and she never left) and my very light sleeping patterns, he likes late nite TV, I like silence etc etc (Peri-menopause isn't helping); we're considering turning our den into a spare bedroom as a reprieve from those nights where insomnia (mine)is threatening (our) sanity. The issue is we're torn on what to buy for our current 'spare' bedroom-it's presently a den with an entertainment system and an old floral couch; the latter of which I'd be happy to sell:) I'd love to purchase a deep couch with maybe a chaise on one end but DH says it'll never be 'sleep worthy'; neither of us care for day beds and I've never sat on a futon on which I didn't feel like I was getting "lost" (in the fold).

Should I just accept that I can't have it both ways (of den by day-comfy sleep escape at nite) and go the twin bed route, perhaps pushed against the wall? Has anyone been in this dilemma before and how did you resolve it? When my college age son moves out, I suppose it'll no longer be an issue as we can have both spare BR and den.

Any suggestions? I love my husband.....but sleep is a very close second!!

Comments (36)