SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janine09_gw

Suggest a BM cream/beige for bedrooms

janine09
15 years ago

I'm looking for a warm cream-beige shade for our Master Bedroom and possibly the guest room. A shade that makes you feel cozy and welcomed. The bedding in master will be blue (muted light blue-similar to resto's Eucalyptus).

Comments (70)

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Pumpkin, so funny that you mention Philadelphia Cream. I have it in my bathroom and it's been my nemesis from the day it went on the walls. I didn't know how to test a color properly then, and that's putting it mildly. I had been looking for something akin to Palace White (I was trying to match a bar of soap that one day struck me as the perfect color as I was taking a shower). As you know, PC can turn completely Jekyll/Hyde and into a screaming throbbing yellow...esp. at night. I learned to live with it and now it amuses me. It's such a tiny bathroom and I don't hang out much in there.

However, the PC has served as a backdrop against which I can test other so-called creams. I march in my sample boards and hold them up to Philly Cream. They pale in comparison. What wouldn't? hahaha

So, back to Palace White. It's doesn't get more yellowy at night. It's early here and I'm up early so I just went in the office and turned on all/some of the lights (lamps and overheads). It doesn't get yellower. It's kinda parchment-y or sunlight-y. I think there is a bit of brown (red?) which tames the yellow.

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Philadelphia Cream update: It's going. Decided to have it done in Antique White while I still have a painter. RIP Philly Cream. :)

• Related Discussions

Cream/Yellow with Beige -help!

Q

Comments (4)
    If I were building a custom home, the first thing I'd do would be to hire a good color consultant. You're dealing with two tricky colors there, both the combo and the colors, themselves. So much depends on the light orientation. In some people's homes, Kilim is the perfect neutral, but in other's it can lean pink or green. Now, I happen to have Ivoire in a good portion of my own home. Love it, but in lower light settings it can read pretty yellow (very subtle yellow, but yellow all the same). If you just paint a bit on the wall it will seem beige, but IRL, when on all four walls, the yellow magnifies. The other part of your question, about mixing beige and creamy yellow, just screams for a pro's advice. That is one of the toughest combos to do correctly. For the record, I have seen Ivoire used in the kitchen setting you describe. It looked lovely.
    ...See More

What green neutral beige will go with BM AURA Caliente?

Q

Comments (1)
    Vidhoo, isn't Caliente one of the Affinity colors? They're all supposed to go together. Or at least in the BM store, they bring out the Affinity fan deck, turn it face down and go, pick any three! Even if you don't personally care for the colors you've chosen, you gotta admit, they do go together. I may not be the best person to suggest colors, since I'm trying to decide on safe, comforting colors myself and am currently back to looking for the Ultimate Ivory. BM Hush is an interesting neutral beige with decided green. I actually like green casts myself. Desert Tan is very pretty, very gold.
    ...See More

Anyone used BM Alexandria Beige HC-77?

Q

Comments (15)
    I'm bumping this thread up since I just painted my master bath in BM Alexandria Beige, both the interior room with shower/toilet and window......(natural light and florescent light in ceiling) as well as the vanity area that leads off my master bedroom (florescent 3-light fixture with 100w bulbs). I needed something that didn't look odd coming off the bedroom yet, had it's own look, since the gold clashes with my beige shower and vanity tile. Now, I am going to DEFINITIVELY put to bed all the color questions raised above about BM Alexandria Beige! 1. Does it really look like "Coffee with Cream" as stated by Deconovice and Meg711, who both had very pretty shots of AB? **Red answers: Yes. When I opened the can and stirred it up, poured it in my paint tray and also when I took it into my entry to look at it, it was a luscious coffee with cream. And I think Deconovice's shot in her room reflects that very well. 2. Does it have a greenish grey cast and does not read coffee with cream as RenoFan insists? **Red answers: Yes, Reno is also right on the money. You get it painted in a small area with florescent lighting and it certainly has a green ambience. It's about the same depth as a nice Latte, but leaning to green. Reno's room shot on my monitor looked like a rosy brown, but I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt that the photo is off in color. When my DD walked into the tiny (7'x3' not including small shower) bath, she said, "Ahhh! I see you can't get away from green!!" 3. Does Meg's house exterior pic reflect a true Alexandria Beige? ***Red answers: Yes. I think it does. In outdoor light, I do think that tan/coffee color would be totally visible. 4. Could you use it with Gold accents? ***Red answers: Yes. But proceed with caution. Because there is a Definite underlying green to AB (Browns almost always have either a red undertone like a rosy brown, or a green undertone like a deep khaki) gold frames and gold metallics aren't going to look as good with it as something else. I am pairing it with rustic copper Pier one mirrors and copper switchplates/towel holders. Black or Espresso Brown picture frames would be fabulous. 5. Are you a true redhead or are you just shining us on? ***Red answers: Yes. Maybe. I do love the greens though...And AB did not come out in my bath like I thought it would (coffee/cream) but it's rich and gorgeous. Red
    ...See More

A color like BM Bleeker Beige w/o the slight green cast?

Q

Comments (4)
    There's also a color by Kelly Moore (not Benjamin) called 42 Wise Owl that's super pretty but there aren't many Kelly Moore dealers around. However, I think BenM or SW could make a sample.
    ...See More
  • susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I am going to compare SW Antique White Vs. BM Bone White Vs. BM Palace White Vs. BM Muslin (loved it in a home I saw but she has lot of windows and light that I do not have) when I am ready to repaint my two room home office since the Linen White just does not give enough color on the wall and I want to warm up the wall color against my white ceiling and white trim. I have no crown molding but I do have white molding on the floor.

Thank you everyone for helping the poster and giving me ideas also.

• catkin
    14 years ago

Love the Antique White!

• catkin
    14 years ago

I looked at Antique White in the fan deck--is it so very yellow/goldish in person?

It doesn't appear very yellow on the blog pics!

I need a lighter neutral beige color for my living room/kitchen, thought this might be it if it doesn't read too yellow.

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Catkin, I don't think Antique White is very yellow/goldish in person. It does have enough yellow to make it creamy, the way a rich vanilla ice cream is more yellow than plain nonfat yogurt. I don't have a SW fandeck, but the strip it's on does it no justice and makes it look kinda flat and tan. I found another SW chip, one of those single-color ones, and it didn't even look the same as the multi-color strip. I doubt I would have considered this color had not Scarlet posted those pics. I wanted the color of that room!

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

OH LINELLE! please post any pics you have of the antique white! I had some mixed by kelly moore a couple of weeks ago not even seeing this post and it looks yellower to me than the strip or pics I see above. What do you think? I am really torn as our contractor only uses kelly moore and as you may know there paint may be great but the color selection is pretty limited. If you have exact mix your guys used there maybe I could compare. They are currently mixing me like 5 more colors of some other options just to see what I land on....aargh

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Okay jeniferrlynne, this one's for you, kiddo. Please understand that this was shot at 3:00 in the afternoon, no flash, only light is from a small south-facing window over the tub, and the finish is satin (bathroom). Automatic exposure, no color adjustments made. The towel is white, so you might want to consider mentally removing any color cast you see on it. If it helps, the color really looks like the pics posted by Scarlet from the Southern Hospitality blog. Yes, there's a touch of yellow, but it's the creamy factor.

My painter uses Kelly Moore and Benjamin Moore. He likes the way the local KM people match colors better than the BM people do. He took the SW Color-to-go jar + the SW chip to KM and I'm 100% satisfied that it looks the same as SW. I understand that there's no way to "perfectly" match the two brands, but if I can't see the difference, there isn't one. KM sample quarts are only $6 and you can get the finish you want. Paint a board and move it around your house. Paint a swatch on the wall. Okay, here's what's written on the KM GALLON can for flat:

SW Antique White

B - O Y 2.0000
    C - O Y 20.0000
    L - O Y 14.0000
    R - O Y 0.5000

White and light tint base (50-121)

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Hmmm, well...I posted the pic (above) from my Mac. It seems to have a different, more subtle rendering of Antique White. Here on my PC, it looks way, way yellower than it truly is. Again, that towel is white, so you can tell that the wall color is similarly inaccurate. Sorry.

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

Thank you so much! Mine actually is looking pretty peachy right now.... I just checked and look at the difference in numbers ( to be fair I didn't bring Kelly Moore anything but a chip....)
    B__ O Y 0.5000
    C__ O Y 6.0000
    L__ O Y 4.0000

I will be writing your mix down and handing it to them tomorrow to try!
    HUG HUG

j

• kittypawz
    14 years ago

Sherwin Williams Napery. :-)

• catkin
    14 years ago

Thanks, Linelle--I'm sort of convinced, maybe, uh....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Bunny
    14 years ago

jeniferrlynne, you're welcome! It shouldn't look peachy at all. Trust me, I run fast in the other direction if I detect any peach.

Presumably the numbers on my gallon should work for you. Do you have a SW store in your area? It's only $5 for a sample quart. I felt more confident sending my painter with that in hand to KM, along with the chip, so there was no doubt.

The first coat's on my hall and ceiling. I went with AW on the ceiling of the hall, since it opens into a wall with a vaulted ceiling. I didn't want a white stripe in the middle of all that AW. It looks good. I'm now considering putting it on my vaulted ceiling as well, rather than the white I had planned. I've got a couple of days to mull it over.

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

Yes we have an SW so I will get a little sample since they should stock it. Didn't mean to take up this much time on someone's thread. You have been very informative now I will start a new thread on trim color cause I am freaking out on what to pair with such a soft wall color...praying not a stark white

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

linelle - do you have the long number that appears before the name antique white? LIke it may start with a 9 or an 8? And was this for a quart mix that you gave me? Thanks so much if you have this on the can!
    j

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

My husband is talking to the contractor about using sherwin williams instead which would solve all my problems
    Thanks again!

• Bunny
    14 years ago

J, well that would make life easier!

The mix I gave you was for a GALLON, not a quart.

I don't find a number that starts with a 9 or 8, but on top of the GALLON can is 06-0071-0909. I have no idea what it means.

FYI, AW looks great on the ceiling. I had the ceilings in the bathroom done white, and it looks good. Because of some crazy turns and angles to my ceiling and the way the living area of the house flows together, and the fact that AW has an LRV of 74, I'm going with walls and ceilings the same color. It looks really good.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Catkin, BM Bone White (it is a close match for BM Natural Wicker according to the Color Charts and a close match to SW Navajo White) reads like a light beige on my family room walls that is very neutral and not gray in that room at all but warm and not dark. I have it in a Pearl finish with SW Gloss White Trim and Ceiling White Flat Paint.

I have BM Navajo White in my Master Bathroom that is lighter than the SW Navajo White and the BM Bone white.

I am tempted to use it in my home office but I am also thinking of maybe a slightly different color that will go with the adjoining family room and kitchen and not clash and be neutral. I have BM Linen White right now in my home office that is happy and bright but I want a little more color on the walls with my bright white trim and white ceiling. My home office has no ceiling lights and only the front of the two room home office has windows so I do not want the walls to be too dark.

• catkin
    14 years ago

Thanks Lynne. I've decided to use SW Pavilion Beige!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Catkin, Please post pics when your room is painted.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I am now trying out all these paint colors in my home office and I am coming to the conclusion I just dislike my honeycomb blinds that are pretty in the day time but turned grayish taupe at night. But I have to live with them for another year.

I found out today from the BM Store that BM Natural Wicker and BM Bone White have the identical Formula. BM Palace White and Bone White are very similar in formula with more yellow in the Palace White and slightly darker since it has orange instead of BM Bone White's red.

The Bm Deserted Island is very similar to the BM Navajo White in formula and I forgot to ask the BM lady to print the formula for me.

I also have the paint chips to SW Antique White, SW Navajo White and BM Bone White and they all look almost the same so I would need formulas to see the difference.

My engineered hardwood floors will arrive in 5 to 8 business days and I must choose a paint color within the next week to paint before I install the wood.

The BM Linen White is so pretty at night in my home office and really brightens the room so then I hesitate and think maybe just paint the room with the same color (the walls behind my cabinets are not painted and other areas of the room the painted never painted... he is lucky my prior wall color was a whiter white) but in the day time I wish the walls had more color.

Any more pictures to share?

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I have BM Jonesboro Cream in our Office and love it. It is 1 shade darker than Deleware Putty. I have the lightest shade on the strip (Ivory Porcelain) in our hallway and really like that too but may be too light for what you are looking for.

Jonesboro Cream:

{{!gwi}}

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that choosing an off-white/creamy colour is pure hell...I'd rather go bathing suit shopping & believe me, don't enjoy that at all.

I've got a collection of at least 25+ tester pots of various shades.

Linen White is a colour that I hear about over & over on these forums, yet not available (on a chip/tester) in Canada. I was told they can mix it though...

lynn2006...
    You mentioned having BM Linen White in your office. Does it have much yellow or is it just a really pretty, creamy colour? (I do not want green or gray undertones...or peach or pink. Soooo hard to get this one right) I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and try this Linen White out...

FYI- I have BM Navajo White in our bedroom. In some lights, it's a nice, soft shade and in other light, I wonder if I see peach? My hubbie says we women are far too picky about our paint picks:)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Lisamocha, I had wonderful pictures of my wall color in my home office before YahooPhotos closed. Hence, the only ones I have now that are available to show (since my hard drive died on 06-15-09 and on this new bigger hard drive, I do not yet have my digital camera software installed to take better pictures with the tiles installed and the place not a mess)are in my 'myphotoalbum'. These are pictures of the two foyer areas. The BM linen white color looks nice with Extra White or Super White trim. It is a happy color that is off-white with a tinge of yellow that gets more yellow in fluorescent and incandescent lighting. I loved it at first but I am ready for slightly more color. I love the BM Bone White in my family room which is a 100% match for BM Wicker. First see if yo like the color. In areas of the room with no light, the color appears off-white with no yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of BM Linen White on the walls- trim has been repainted so ignore; also tile floor is finally installed

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

ttodd, I love the color on your wall a lot but in my home office I only have windows in the front of my office that I keep closed for privacy from neighbors except for the top down/bottom up feature that I use on days that are not too cold outside on the double honeycomb blinds so there is not so much light in the back of the office of the very long room. I have a few 400 watt fluorescent daylight torchiere lamps in the room with no overhead lighting on my side of the room. I may install high hats next year but I am doing my hardwood floors this year and that project has to wait. I work in my home office all day (except if I am at a client... but most visit me or if I am at a CPE seminar) since I am self-employed so I think the color may be a little darker than I want but it is very pretty.

Can you post pics of your Ivory Porcelain Walls that sound very pretty also.

Thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

kmcg85, any pics of your newly painted walls in the BM Delaware Putty paint color? I hope you love the change.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

kittypawz, I have here the paint chip SW Napery and really like the small sample I have. Do you have a picture of the color? How does it compare with the BM Palace White in the picture? Thank you!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P.S. Lisamocha, BM Linen White is lighter than BM Navajo White. I think you would love BM Bone White which is BM Natural Wicker (same formula). It does not have the peach you see in the Navajo White and is a touch darker without being too dark. I also was afraid to go too dark in my home office so I went with BM Linen White with bright white trim.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I called a Sherwin Williams Store today to ask about formulas to see if the nice man would help me figure out the differences between three colors that too me from the 5 paint chips tapes for each color on a white three stack of papers, look so similar. I learned to not spend a fortune buying sample jars and boards to paint and wait until I narrowed down the colors to a few colors I like. I learned to tape paint chips together on a white paper since the linen white walls I have are making me not see the correct color. I also have the painted boards of two of the colors from a few years ago and the chips match so well.

I was told that BM Bone White and SW Navajo White and SW Antique White were all identical made up of gold except the SW Navajo White and the SW Antique White have brown mixed in the formula while the BM Bone White has no brown but instead about 1/5th the amount of black but has more gold. SW Antique White has one drop more of brown in the formula than SW Navajo White and BM Bone White has a drop of Magenta in it while the others don't.

The formulas differ if buying them from BM (mixing them in BM Paint)as follows:

BM Bone white (= the exact formula for BM Natural Wicker) is 21 Ox of Oxidized Yellow, 3 Ox of Black, 1 Ox of Red, and 2 Ox of Gray.

SW Navajo White 6126: 35 Ox Oxidized Yellow (maybe I heard wrong since SW Store manager said that SW AW = SW NW except for a drop of brown and all three colors, BM BW, SW NW, and SW AW look almost identical to him also unless the extra black and gray offset the extra Oxidized Yellow?) , 1 Ox Black, .25 Ox Magenta, 2 Ox Gray.

SW Antique White 6119: 25 Ox Oxidized Yellow, .2 Ox Black, .25 Ox Magenta, .25 Ox Gray.

I will have to call back tomorrow the BM Store to clarify the formula for SW Navajo White since it does not make sense.

BM BM Palace White has 22 Ox of Oxidized Yellow, 2 Ox of Black, 2 Ox of Orange, and 10 Ox of Gray and is slightly more yellow than Bone White per my two painted sample boards and my paint chips.

The prior day I was there in person at a BM store and bought big paint boards of Subtle (beautiful but too yellow) , Frappe (too dark) and another color that was too yellow. Hence, I was not that crazy about the Affinity colors once I saw how the colors looked in my home for a few days.

So I will use one of these four colors (BM BW, BM PW, SW NW, or SW AW)I feel for my home office and will look at them again tomorrow. The BM Navajo White is beautiful but too light and too much like the BM Linen White that I am painting over since I have to paint anyway.

I love the BM Navajo White in my Master Bathroom but in my home office, I want something a little bit darker but still light, neutral and happy.

I thought I would share. Anybody else have pictures of these color on their walls or any comments?

The three colors look so much alike. I am also considering the Palace White

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Kittypawz, I LOVED the SW Napery you suggested but it clashes with my putty cabinets. But maybe I will find a place for it in another part of my home. Thanks you.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Wow...Lynn, thanks for sharing this:)
    (I don't feel so alone in having difficulties in choosing!)
    V. intersting to see the formulas.

Over the last couple of weeks (in addition to many others)
    I've tried BM Aura Frappe (like you, ruled it out), Subtle, Collectors Item, Deep in Thought & Mascarpone.

I've used Windswept in my Living Room (like it there) and Navajo WHite in bedroom. I guess I should take another looks at Natural Wicker...but I thought it might be slightly too dark.

I like the Linen White in your foyer...looks like a very nice soft colour, but am concerned it would read as a touch too yellow in the evening w/ lamps.

Mmmm..maybe good ol' Cloud White is the answer:)
    ('m giving up soon)

FYI-Here's a pic of bedroom w/ BM Navajo White. Yes, it's very light, but does have some colour. (Maybe as light as Linen White though??)

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Back again...
    Lynn-Sorry, I just realized that you said you had BM Nav. White in a bathroom so you know that one.

BTW, on a recent visit to the BM store, I did hear a painter say he had just completed a home using Palace White and that it was a great neutral colour.

Keep us posted:)
    L.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Lisa_Mocha, the painter did not prime the wall and painted over a very yellow color so I am not sure how accurate the color is in the bathroom with a lot of lights that change it so I loved seeing it in your bedroom. I love the color in your bedroom that does not have that lemon look like BM Linen White has at night as well as having a touch more color than the Linen White. I also love the color in my bathroom so much better than the Ralph Lauren Deep Cream that was there. Your bedroom is very nice and I love your crystal lamp. I will see if I can find some pictures of the BM Bone White in my family room to insert in the MyPhotoAlbum.com for you to see.

I can't find the software to my Sony Digital Camara that works with the camera's dock to download pics since I got a new hard drive. I may try to reinstal my Paintshop Pro Photo X2 that I had bought right before my computer crashed and the hard drive died on me on 06-15-09.

If I did not have these Putty file cabinets in my home office, I would definitely use the BM Palace White. But because of the file cabinets, I am a little afraid of too much gold. But the gold color looks nice with my cherry desk and credenza and looks nice with the samples I have of the Brazilian Cherry Engineered Floors I will be installing in my home office after removing the always dirty beige almost 20 year old carpet. If the carpet was new and not in a office, it is pretty since I like neutral beige carpeting. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

I can't wait to repaint my guest bedroom since the BM Philadelphia Cream is too yellow at night for me.

I never understood why my friend after a few weeks had her newly painted condo repainted after she found out the yellow walls were bothering her. Now I see that color on walls really affects emotions.

I had wanted to paint my whole home BM Navajo White and I know I would have been happy but the painter talked me out of it since he did not like the color and I would have not spent weeks sampling and getting more behind in my work.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Linelle, What does the B, C, L, & R stand for in the SW Antique White Formula? I love the picture you posted.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Lynn-Forgot about this one...

If you're trying to avoid yellow or peachy undertone, have you taken a look at BM White Down?
    (or even Edgecomb Gray...too gray in my home, but looked like a beautiful off-white in a friends)

White Down can be a wonderful colour in the right light...

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

I have 1 more suggestion...then I'm slowly backing away from my tester boards:)

BM Opaline...it really is quite a nice, soft, creamy colour.
    (not sure why I haven't used that one ye??)

Good luck...let us know what you decide on!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thank you Lisa_Mocha. I did look at BM Opaline and liked it also but just want a little more color. I will be sure to let you know what I decide.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I need to be working but my hardwood floors are arriving on Tuesday and I have not chosen a paint. Maybe I should just install the floors and paint around the furniture?

I keep trying to like more color but the BM Philadelphia Cream in my spare bedroom shouts at me and I am so afraid of a small sample becoming that yellow and stimulating again. I also had to change the Deep Cream color in my bathroom to Navajo White since the lemon tinge bothered my senses on how it looked with the Bone Appliances but I like it in my bedroom with the Antique White furniture. I had no idea I was so sensitive to color since I had white walls for most of my life.

I want a calm color in my office but I was some color since I am tried of living with such white walls at the BM Linen White (that I do like but I wish they had a touch of more color to them).

I visited a few neighbors (was doing so well with my work until about 3.75 hours ago... I stayed in to work and not obsess about paint colors) and one has a peachy color on her walls but that would clash with my file cabinets.

I am back to trying to stay safe again with most likely either BM Bone White or BM Palace White but maybe SW Antique White or SW Navajo White that look so very close to the BM Bone White paint color and their formulas are similar also.

If this was a guest room, I would just take a chance on my color as long as the color was not as yellow at night as the Philadelphia Cream is. But this is a room that is very difficult to paint due to so much heavy furniture in it and I need a calm happy paint when I am working and I am in this room most of the time due to the computer also being there.

Any more pictures or input? Maybe I should take a chance of BM Palace White walls and hope it is not too yellow and distracting as I work since it may brighten up the room? Or maybe go with BM Bone White since I have it in my family room so touching up with be easy to do in both rooms.

Or maybe the slight tint of color change in the SW Navajo White or the SW Antique White will look better with my putty file cabinets and Brazilian Cherry floors?

Or maybe despite my fear of scratching my new hardwood floors if I have to move my file cabinets again, I should paint after the floor are installed which may help me see which color looks better?

Please any more pictures of any of these color or similar neutral colors?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I finally got some work done and now I will just answer a few posts and go to bed to get up early to work so I will have time to take care of the hardwood floors that are arriving in a few days.

I wonder if I change my blinds to white blinds or cover them with curtains that are not a gray color (my honeycomb blinds look nice in the day time but have a taupe design in the natural color so at night they look dirty and gray next to my linen white walls), then maybe I will like more colors in my home office despite the putty cabinets? I must take pictures when I have time. Any suggestions?

I have to paint soon unless I wait to paint and paint around the file cabinets?

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Yes, Lynn. I have two suggestions. Don't wait to paint. I think you know what color you really want to paint, you are just afraid to commit.
    And the other? Take some pictures. I want to see these putty cabinets that are stopping the entire room from getting finished.

Red

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Red, Thank you for your post. It made me laugh since you are right, I need to get this painting over with and add some more color to my home office. I also need a picture in the office.

Yes, it would be so much easier to paint before the cabinets are moved back in the room. I guess I want more color but I am fearful to commit and be stuck with a color I dislike.

I even put the Deserted Island Board back up on the cabinet and despite the peachy tones, I like it. I guess you are right that I have to make a decision.

I have to figure out how to download pictures now that my camera software is not installed. In the light this morning the putty cabinets really are nice and neutral and are not that ugly but do affect color choices since I do not want my walls clashing with the cabinets.

I know I still wish I went darker in my bedroom like others suggested and I went with the Ralph Lauren Cozy Cottage that had a touch of peach in it along with the happy yellow that the deep cream has. That tad darker in my bedroom would have given the room more color but I was scared of color.

The honeycomb blinds are nice today again but I wish they were white instead of the natural color I chose thinking it was more for an office.

I will have to figure out how to download pictures again. I wish I could find my camera software.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I am 99% sure I am going with BM Bone White for the walls using Aura Paint in the Satin. But now must decide to go with the Sherwin William Extra White Gloss for the trim or the Aura Semi-Gloss Super White for the trim. I wish Aura would have a gloss paint but they do not.

Thank you everyone for your input in helping me and others. I will be sure to post pictures.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I posted the pic of BM Ivory Porcelain as req. on another thread w/ it's name in it.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

ttodd, I only see one picture in the link below that you started a new thread with. The BM Porcelain White appears to be a nice neutral white that is not stark (wish there was something very white in the room to compare the wall to... even holding a piece of bright white paper up to the wall would help) and really is elegant with your black ceiling and trim. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of BM Porcelain White with Black Ceiling - See ttodd's post

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Lynn, sorry to have not replied sooner. Now that my house is painted, I've stopped obsessing over paint colors and returned to life in general. :)

I don't know what those letters in the Antique White color formula mean. All I know is that Kelly Moore matched it EXACTLY. In fact, I like it even better than the SW original. Someone else on this board has it in her house and finds it "dingy and sad." I suppose any number of factors could be the difference between her color and mine. All I know is, I love my Antique White. It makes me happy. It's exactly what I wanted.

I also like my Palace White, but I don't know that I love it. Now BM Camouflage in my bedroom...I want to marry it. :p

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Linelle, Thank you for replying. The Paint sample card and formula for SW Antique White and BM Bone White are very very close. I was told my Sherwin Williams the difference is SW Antique White has a tiny drop of brown in it and BM Bone White has a tiny drop of Magenta or Red in it (I think it was BM that used red and SW used Magenta). I would have to match the SW Antique White in the BM Aura paint and I am not sure how close they would match it so I decided to stay with the BM Bone White that I love that is in the family room that has more light so I feared it would be too dark in my home office. But after moving the painted board around (from over 2.5 years ago when I was choosing wall colors) and paint chips around my rooms (recent ones.... 4 - 5 for each color cut out and lined up in a row on white paper), I think I can't go wrong with the BM Bone White or the SW Antique White. I like the BM Palace White but I am glad you told me you liked it but don't love it like you do your SW Antique White and BM Camouflage.

Any pics of the BM Camouflage for maybe the spare bedroom that had BM Philadelphia Cream in it that is way too yellow for that room and needs to be repainted?

By the way, I LOVE my BM Bone white in my family room, hallway upstairs and the area going up the steps. But I only like it in the laundry room and in the kitchen and in the storage room. Lighting and what is in the room really affects the color of the paint.

I have not yet bought the paint so I am tempted to buy a pint of the SW Antique White and BM Bone White in the Aura formula and try both on the wall to see how I feel.

Thanks again for your help. I work in my home office many hours during the day and many times at night and when I am not working but instead on my PC doing other things like being on this decorating site as I eat dinner, I am in the home office also so the wall color is very important to me. I like wall colors that are happy and peaceful which do not clash with furniture or tile around them.

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Lynn, this is a pic of the Camouflage when the room still had furniture from other rooms being painted stashed there. The room through the open door is the bathroom with the Philadelphia Cream. You can see the brightness of the yellow. Depending on the light and time of day, Camouflage will show its yellow or blue or gray. It's quite chameleon-ish, but always soft and comforting. Because I love it so much, I had my kitchen painted the same color...same light and side of the house. Only my Philly Cream bathroom separates them. However, Camouflage seems a bit washed out in the kitchen. May have something to do with white tile counters and their reflected light. If I were to do it again, I'd go a shade deeper in the kitchen.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Please, see my post way below for a link to BM Bone White & Putty Cabinets. I will get much better pictures when I have time and the floors are in.

Linelle, I can see that BM Philadelphia Cream shouting like it does in my spare bedroom. It is so yellow at night and darker than the BM Rich Cream I would have been happier using.

The BM Camouflage is very peaceful and I like how it changes color to other peaceful colors. Someone suggested it for my office but I know it would clash with my file cabinets but it looks very nice in your bedroom. Thank you for sharing. I love your bright trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: See my post way below for a link to BM Bone White & Putty Cabinets

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

My hardwood floors arrived today. I will post pictures when they are installed and my walls are painted. Thank you everyone for your help.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I must make up my mind now on the finish of the paint. I decided to go with the BM Bone White in my home office but now I am not sure on the BM Regal paint in the Pearl Finish (what is on my walls now and to me it is not shiny and looks rich .. Pearl is not as shiny as Satin but a step above Eggshell in shine) or BM Aura in the Eggshell or Satin. I have a sample of the BM Aura Bone White in the Satin here and I love it but everyone says if it was all over the walls, it would be too shiny. I really don't want to go with less shine than the Pearl unless BM Aura's Eggshell looks like the Pearl finish? Any opinions or comments?