SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarajk28

Stepfather loves my daughter, not my son

sarajk28
17 years ago

Hello. I was married to an abusive man for over 10 years. We had two children, my son 10, my daughter 7. Anyway, though my divorce was granted on the grounds of physical cruelty, the judge honored my ex's request for primary physical custody of my son. So, not only did my kids go through hell while we were married, they are now living apart.

Enter husband #2. Knew I had kids, knew my past. My daughter was barely 4 when we met, took them awhile, but they have bonded. My son, on the other hand, he always seemed indifferent to. While we dated, he just said he felt that my son was there to visit me and he was happy to let us have our time alone.

For the three years, I have agonized over the custody issue. I no longer live in fear of my ex, but have reason to believe he mistreats my son. Of course, the emotional abuse has caused him to further sympathize with his father and over protect for fear.

I have spoken to my new husband on many occasions about having my son live with. When we first wed, he asked for a few months to make sure we (us 3) could get along before bringing in my son and other issues. Then it was, "I didn't realize both kids would live with us when I married you" or "We have 1 child". He has also stated that he would like me to limit the amount of visits I have with my son every year, something I found to be absurd. I am sorry, but 90 days out of 365 isn't a whole lot!

Although I am pretty sure I know the answer without even asking, I am just looking for reassurance. He has not supported my quest to ensure my son is safe, cared for, and guided through life. He is wealthy, so the three of us live a comfortable life, but I am tired of knowing my son is living a life that not only lacks material comfort (his father has moved him 9 times in 3 years), but the general feeling of safety and security we should all feel at home.

I am planning to speak to my spouse tomorrow (away on business) and tell him that I have decided to seek full custody of my son. If he is not supportive of this decision, I am planning to leave him on the spot. Yes, I am already packed.

Am I right? I feel so angry with myself for ever allowing this time to pass because of "HIS" feelings. He is the only one who has benefited from the feelings he has had, while the rest of us have suffered.

Comments (3)