SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hondagirl

Can this kitchen be saved?

15 years ago

Hello everyone

I'm in desperate need of help here. I've got 21 year old oak cabinets that are definitely outdated but in excellent shape. They have been sanded and stained 1 1/2 years ago. My DH loves the wood and would never agree to having them painted. I don't mind the doors on the top cabinets but hate the arched doors on the base cabinets. So here I sit in my kitchen and I haven't moved forward in a year and a half. I need a new counter since the wooden edge of the old one was sawed off and I also need a new backsplash since some of the tiles were ripped off during the refurbishing.. I'd like granite and the tropic brown would look "smashing" but it is a big expense for old, outdated cabinets. Also, if I ever would want to change the cabinets, it would be a major headache with the granite. I've looked at laminate which is probably the wisest choice but can't find one that I love. A designer suggested Wilsonart Canyon Passage 1842-45, it works but I just don't feel excited about it. A blackish laminate is too harsh and dark for that area. I think I must have at least 100+ samples of laminate and none are just right.

Here are some pictures of my kitchen. What can I do to update it? Can it be saved or not? Please give me some ideas. (I have a couple of my own but I really want to hear what you have to say first.)

{{gwi:1791366}}

{{gwi:1791368}}

This is the laminate counter that was suggested:

http://samples.wilsonart.com/p-464-canyon-passage-1842-45.aspx

Comments (55)

• 15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One thing that struck me as odd was the lack of any lower drawers!! I think I'd get rid of those cathedral arch top doors and put in a row of drawers and get new square top or even shaker door fronts made. then strip and refinish the whole thing. Put on some new hardware and granite and you will have a whole new kitchen.

• 15 years ago

We have sort of the same problem, except that our cabinets are only 8 years old -- and in fact, I chose them myself! But it's the same basic issue: It doesn't seem quite worth getting expensive counters like granite, Corian, or Silestone, but I haven't seen a laminate that's all that interesting. Sometimes I think I should just get a wild color, like purple, which would at least look different.

• Related Discussions

Newbie canning mistake - can this be saved?

Q

Comments (19)
    seysonn - NCHFP isn't just some unknown organization. It is the research labs for USDA/FDA and are the recognized national authority in safe food preservation/canning for both commercial and home food canners. All other approved sources of home food canning info/recipes/instructions are based on their recommendations and regulations. And yes, if you explore their many publications (or take their classes) they are well aware of the whys and do explain how density can be calculated and why their testing has determined that adding flours, pastas, and other thickeners cannot be recommended. Basically it because the amount of processing times required to compensate for the increased density would be so detrimental to the quality of the food that it would be unpalatable. Further since the thickener of choice is easily added at preparation/serving time after the jar is opened there is no justifiable reason to process it to death simply to compensate for the thickeners. So it isn't a matter of just adding 5 or 10 min here or there. Not to mention that very few home canners are able to or have the interest in measuring the density of their foods and doing all the calculations. Especially when it has already been done by professionals. Beef stew is already processed for 90 min. (quarts) so say you add flour to it. Now you have to calculate the density. Density = mass divided by volume. Calculate the mass of the container, then the mass of the container with all the liquids and subtract the mass of the container and you have the mass of the liquid. Then you do the same for all the solids. Then measure the volumes, etc. etc. etc.and discover that the density of it has now increased x fold. How many min do you has to that 90 min processing time for each increase in density? 10 min, 20 min, 60 min? What happens to all the vegetables in that stew? Slushy mush with a scorched taste most likely. You really want to do all that? If it is enzymes, bacteria, they say that @ 240F they are all destroyed. No they say at 240+ for a specific period of time and that period of time differs from bacterial pathogen to pathogen. The time is always the variable. Campbell does it all the time. Lots of discussions here about the many differences between commercial processing in high pressure autoclaves that you can play football in and use 260-280 degrees F at 50-70 psi (after first irradiating the foods) vs. the common home pressure canner at 240 and 10-15 psi. No comparison what so ever. Dave
    ...See More

Space saving tricks for super small kitchen?

Q

Comments (6)
    Stuff is an issue -- the appliances and the like are all things that I've been giving by well-meaning friends who know how much I like to cook. I've re-gifted some of it -- the cappucino maker, the coffee maker, the George Foreman grill -- but I could probably prune a fewmore things like the wok. (I've also moved some things, like the waffle iron I love but only use 4-5 a year, and the fancy glasses, to the front hall closet on the other end of the apartment. Not convenient, but it looks a little better!) Pegboard might be an option -- and my landlord might like the fact that it means fewer holes in the brick wall. Painting is a good suggetion, too. I've thought about that -- mostly about painting the foogly cabinets. The cabinet doors are actually plastic! (The last time I did a really deep cleaning/de-greasing, they ended up several different colors -- all equally ugly -- of brown.) The one improvement I was able to talk the landlord into was finally removing the carpet in their. Not only was it unhygenic -- it was a truely nasty brown plaid! You have to wonder what they were thinking when they put that in.... Thanks for the comments!
    ...See More

6-1 canned tomatoes. Open can, can one save unused portion?

Q

Comments (8)
    I store leftover tomatoes in a Mason jar with the air removed like Cathy, but I then store the jar in the fridge. It keeps more than twice as long without air. It also helps to have a film of olive oil on top. If you do not have a Foodsaver, you can easily get all of the air out of a freezer bag and then store that bag in the freezer or fridge. I also freeze flat, to make stacking easier. Lars
    ...See More

How did you save money when buying kitchen flooring?

Q

Comments (18)
    I found a locally owned store that sold Chelsea flooring that we just installed. What I liked about it was that I got a great floor made here in the US, and supported local business as well. I did have to make, at least for me, a huge compromise. I wanted walnut so bad, but it would have been at least $2,500 more. Wasn't in the budget. I still got the brand, but had to go with a darker ash hardwood flooring that is wire brushed. Do I like it as much? Not even close. But I got it for $5.35/sf (product only), in a combination of 3", 4" and 5" laid in a random pattern which turned out beautiful. I got a Home Show discount. I think I got a great deal.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

I know oak is not considered stylish anymore, but I still like it just fine. Your cabinets look to be in excellent shape, and new countertops and backsplash would really add life to the kitchen.

Have you considered Butterum Granite by Formica? I have the Jamocha Granite on my oak wetbar, but it definitely has more black in it, which you said that you didn't like. The butterum is more brown.

Carrie

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica Butterum

• 15 years ago

I'd get new hardware and some fabulous window treatment . . .I think those two things (plus some fresh flowers) would change the space. If you add things to "update" the kitchen, it will only become outdated, you know? The oak is cozy.

As for the countertop . . .have no idea how it would look with the oak, but my friend has copper countertops and it looks fabulous.

This picture (look at the backsplash) is the closest I found to your cabinets using copper:

{{gwi:1791370}}

• 15 years ago

Thank you for your replies......just to add to some of your comments which are all appreciated. Staining the cabinets darker is a good idea but we just spent $$$$ on refinishing them so that won't be possible. I wish I had found this forum earlier on. The wooden backsplash will be removed once I figure out the new backsplash and I will be looking for a new faucet. Also the window molding will be replaced. That had to be removed for the sanding to be done.
    Neesie......your kitchen looks so pretty but you have more modern doors than mine
    Harriethomeowner..I like your cabinets and wish you luck finding the right counter
    carriem25......I have samples of the Formica Butterum and it does match the color of the cabinets. I just find the pattern a tad too busy since the oak grain is already so prominent.

Ok......here is a thought and I mean it's just a thought but could this kitchen be turned into a Tuscan kitchen with what I have? (specifically keeping the cabinets as they are)

Here is another picture which shows more of my kitchen. The fridge and range hood will eventually be replaced with stainless steel ones.

{{gwi:1791374}}

• 15 years ago

Question: Who does the cooking in the household? If it's you, then you should be able to paint the cabinets, if you want to. Just my unsolicited $.02 on that note.

Meanwhile, I don't think your kitchen could be turned into a "Tuscan" kitchen at all. Which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Your cabinets are very traditional American oak cabinets--and there's not a thing wrong with them. You do need new hardware. Have you considered ORB? I, too, have golden oak cabinets and they aren't nearly as nice as yours. In a feeble effort to make them seem a bit nicer, I changed out the hardware and the result is MUCH better than the old hardware:

Also: Are you planning on replacing the floor? If so, you'll need to take that into consideration in selecting a new countertop/backsplash.

• 15 years ago

You practically have my kitchen, except the range and dishwasher positions are reversed (and I think you have a little more cabinet/counter space). I have plain grey laminate counters and the more I see them, the more I want copper counters. I think I saw a post on the kitchen forum by a lady who did copper counters DIY. When I get some disposable income saved back up after making all the functional upgrades to our house, I think I'm gonna start researching the copper and see if it's feasible for me. I also really want a backsplash as the logs and chinking aren't exactly practical. My dream option would be apple green glass subway tiles. I have such a little space I may be able to afford them, we'll see.

I looked around and didn't have any recent pictures of the kitchen, but this is the realtor's picture and we haven't made any changes to it yet.

~~Veronica

• 15 years ago

hondagirl,

Your cabinets are very nice! They look to be in great shape and the light color keeps the room bright. Get a new backspash, faucet, counter and sink and your kitchen will look brand new. I think you can go in many directions with the counter. Get a wild granite, or go with a calm laminate. You'll be amazed how much difference a new counter would make.

• 15 years ago

Oh how I wish you could paint those cabinets! It would transform your kitchen for very little money! I have the same cabinets (same vintage) in the house we bought 2yrs. ago, & they are painted BM Bone White, a creamy white. Yours would look gorgeous painted, I just know it! I too, need to upgrade my counters eventually (not in disrepair, just dated) & will choose silestone for the antimicrobial properties it has. In my previous house though, I replaced horrible laminate counter tops, vintage 1960's, with white laminate & they looked great. Got lots of compliments. Painted cabinets there white (stark, glossy white--very fresh & clean looking) too. The key to making the laminate ct's look special was in having them made w/a beveled edge. You would not believe the difference a small detail like that can make. Can your kitchen be saved? Not only can it be saved, it could look positively fabulous! Whatever you do, DON'T rip out those cabinets! They are solid, in good shape & that would just be a waste of money (imo). I also have mismatched appliances, & when the buggers finally die (they're just a hangin' in there!) I'll get all bisque. I'm rebelling against the almighty stainless steel kitchen trend. Remember, a kitchen doesn't have to be a high-tech stainless wonder the size of a football field "a la HGTV Dream Kitchens" to be really appealing, charming, & functional. You have loads of potential there!

• 15 years ago

First I would get rid of the back splash. Make it one type of material. Unfortunately you will probably have to replace the backer board when you remove the old tile. That said I would then run lights for above and below the cabinets. Lighting will visually open up your kitchen.

Put up a travertine in a diamond pattern. This will give the area more visual space. Then put in a small accent tile (positioned square to the countertops). I saw some today (I am tile shopping) that are a copper color with a raised grape leave accent at Lowes. Just use some kind of tiles with texture, don't use the old high glazed ceramic tiles.

Also, it's hard to tell from the pictures but could you take the face off a couple cabinets on the left? If so, then also wire these cabinets for pot lights. Maybe replace the doors with the wire mesh to give it the Tuscon feel.

Put a crown molding on the cabinets(not the wall) to help soften the square edge.

Then look at the Wilsonart Crystalline Iris 1840-45 (grey) or Crystalline Shell 1834-45 (brown). You will find that the slightly darker shades will make your cabinets appear more rich. The browns and greens will help offset the yellow that is common to the oak.

Change your blinds out for maybe a roman shade with some kind of Tuscon fabric curtain.

Lastly, I would take the pot light out over the sink. Move the box back and hang a light fixture. Get one of the hand blown pieces that looks like a piece of art. Not to large but something that's eye candy when you walk into the room.

And I think men just love stained wood. It's genetic.

• 15 years ago

Obviously I need to go to bed since I can't seem to spell. The tile were grape leaves with grapes and a there were a few other errors.

However, I finally noticed your floor covering. That may be why the pattern of the countertop is throwing you for a loop. It looks like it has a lot of orange and green. (This could also just be my computer.) Try putting your countertop samples on the floor.

• 15 years ago

"My DH loves the wood and would never agree to having them painted."

"Oh how I wish you could paint those cabinets! It would transform your kitchen for very little money!"

I have to say that I agree with OSH and stinky. I can't for the life of me figure out why, if you do the cooking and tend to the everyday household, you can't paint the cabinets. Never let a man make the decorating decisions on a room that is basically not usually part of his "domain".
    But that's another thread and I digress.
    I don't think your cabinets are dated, I think they're just dated in your eyes. Maybe they're not the style you would have chosen, but they're lovely and in beautiful condition. If you won't pull the plug and paint them (which would transform them into the cabinets you do want), then a change of hardward is in order, both the knobs/handles and hinges. If replacing the flooring isn't an option, a few area or throw rugs would work wonders in bringing in color. And as far as a "Tuscan" kitchen...nah. Your kitchen doesn't have the "Tuscan" bones, nor should it, unless you're living in Italy or a very large villa LOL. Don't go for a theme, just go for a kitchen that uses it's great layout and attributes and work from there. You have a good start. By updating the appliances, changing out the counters and hardware, adding some beautiful textiles and accessories and painting the walls a lovely, warm color to accent the cabinets, you'll be on your way. Trust us, it's an uncut gem in the making.

• 15 years ago

If you can't paint the cabinets, there are are other ways to help your kitchen.

Right now you have all warm colors, which makes the kitchen murky and monotonal.

Add some drama by adding some contrast. Are the white tiles coming off? Consider adding a cool color on the walls. Green is a great complementary color for oak:

{{gwi:1791382}}

.... and get new hardware that you really love!

• 15 years ago

You haven't seen a laminate that looks exciting?

Wilsonart, Formica and Pionite brands all offer laminates that look similar to granite and other stone, except they look better, and easier to maintain and less expensive.

Michael

• 15 years ago

I think uba tuba granite countertops would look beautiful with your cabinets. Installed, it was only 300$ more than the laminate I priced. I also second the suggestion for orbronze hardware. I would consider adding some beefy molding to raise the height of your cabs--look for pics in the finished kitchen blog, as I'm not sure how that would look with open space between the molding and the ceiling. Undercabinet lighting and a bold window treatment would also update the look. Changing the fridge and range hood to match your other appliances will also really update the kitchen. You have fabulous cabinets--good luck!

• 15 years ago

I have oak cabinets. They were installed about 15 years ago and I still love them. Remember....styles come and go and nothing is better than solid wood cabinets. Painting them may brighten them up, but then paint chips and you have to keep redoing them. Keep the cabinets, just try different pulls/knobs.

• 15 years ago

One thing that would help a LOT is adding crown molding to the top of those cabinets. That would not be a very expensive upgrade either.

• 15 years ago

I think a black or dark brown formica counter would look great. A lighter countertop will still place the focus on the cabinets. A dark counter will draw the eye to it. I think a neutral backsplash with a dark brown or black accent tile would be great. I agree with above posters who suggested a new SS faucet, ORB hardware, green painted walls and crown molding on the cabinets. The cabinets are just fine and once everything else is done, they will not take center stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: wilsonart brazilian topaz

• 15 years ago

I just installed WilsonArt high definition laminate with the Valencia edge and a coped back splash. Everyone who sees it raves about it. I would never have granite due to 1) maintenance hassle, and 2) disproportionate cost. When you are looking at laminate try to consider how it would be when the walls are a different color, or even go to Sherwin Williams and get some of the little "try me" paint samples, paint some cardboard and tape it up over the wooden backsplash. I had my oak doors faux painted to deal with the exact situation you're in (no hubby to argue with), I feel your pain.

• 15 years ago

I would use that Brazilian Wilson Art depicted, and paint the kitchen a color like Silver Sage, Baby Turtle, Sawdust or Dry Sage. Your kitchen is fine. In 10 years the mission cabinets are going to be dated. It's called marketing.

Those colors that I noted above are colors that decorators in this area use with oak cabinets. There are people who totally redo their kitchens now and use the cathedral doors. I visited a cabinet shop just this week, looking for cabinets for a friend who I am helping with her house and there was a young couple there who chose very similar cabinets to yours and are having a whole new kitchen overhaul.

Marketing! Why, there are those out there already finding every reason in the sun to have everyone remove their granite countertops up to and including Radon. Think about all the disappointments when all of us with granite countertops (I already am) tire of the color of the granite and cannot change.

Marketing is a fascinating thing. It tells you what you MUST get rid of and what you MUST buy, and then it tells you all the reasons you MUST get rid of it. The day is coming that all the kitchens that were done in the past 5-10 years are going to be passe and (who knows), the cathedral door cabinet may be the cat's meow. Use what you have as long as it is in good shape. Changing out something that works well is throwing good money in after bad. Why do you think the rest of the world things we are such a country of "disposables?" Because we have been able, on a whim, to change things when we wanted. If it is working, don't fix it. Your cabinets are working. In 10 years when all the mission cabinets are out of style, yours may no longer be working and you can change them. That's a big lap full of "change," but there is nothing wrong with your cabinets that a change of countertops and paint will not make better. If you use the dramatic color of one of the Wilsonarts and paint the walls, you will have a "new look," and it will feel great to know you saved yourself a ton of money or you could get the Ubatuba granite which is, by some estimators, about the same price as a high-end laminate.

• 15 years ago

Hi -
    Sorry - another one saying "I like your cabinets!" In fact, I even think your backsplash is fine.
    Honestly, I think once you get the SS fridge and new hood it will look much better. I agree with those saying to get stainless/chrome faucet and nickel hardware. I also think you should look at flooring.

(I've been meaning to replace my kitchen floor for years - but it'll have to be DIY, and I just haven't worked myself up to it yet...)

What is the style of the rest of your house? Do you have any pics of the eating area in the kitchen? It looks like a great space.

• 15 years ago

RE: Patricia's comment . . .Marketing is a fascinating thing. It tells you what you MUST get rid of and what you MUST buy, and then it tells you all the reasons you MUST get rid of it.

YES, I completely agree. This is going OT here, but each time I watch a show in which homebuyers say they MUST have a master suite, I find myself saying, oh, I guess that is what is best. Recently it struck me that, for my taste, I would not choose that. I would never, ever want a bathroom connected to my bedroom, not ever. But like you said, it's marketing. It's such a trap. It's so nice that the posters here are encouraging the OP to keep the cabinets-- keeps us out of that trap!

• 15 years ago

I like your kitchen, including the cabinets. Of course I have painted cabinets that have chipped and a cheap backsplash that desperately needs to be replaced with tile!

I would put a new countertop in. I hear there is the granite topper than can be put in over the current countertop. It might be cheaper.

Personally I lust after a Corian integrated sink, the kind with no edges :)

Lisa

• 15 years ago

Since you don't mind the doors on the top just the bottom, is it possible to just change those doors to a square style in a matching oak? Then change out the countertop and backsplash to something you like.

Lots of people leave cabinets and just change countertops. I think with the right granite it will look wonderful.

• 15 years ago

I agree w/ most of the previous posters saying that your cabinets are nice. Prior to moving last year, we updated our 90s home that had oak cabinets very similar to yours. (They may have been a shade darker and we had raised panel rather than cathedral but otherwise VERY similar). Prior to updating, it had white tile on the countertop and green (sage) and white flooring and the cabinets looked very dated as well. After the update, in which we installed travertine floor on diagonal, ORB knobs, and a dark w/ sage undertones granite, it looked marvelous!! We had so many comments about it all being a new kitchen (including the cabinets...it really did make them appear darker and much more classy). A realtor even commented that his new quarter=sawn oak cabinets w/ the same ORB knobs looked almost identical (he used UBA granite. Ours was the next price level up.)

Anyhow, I really think you should stop focusing on the cabinets, if you have to keep them. Instead make the rest of the room as you would like and surprise yourself on how nice the cabinets can look.

• 15 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. So many of you have encouraged me to keep the cabinets. Perhaps, eventually, I could change the bottom doors. I'm surprised to hear that some people actually like the cabinets...... you are being too nice!

organic smallhome......where did you get your pulls? I like the looks of them. I went to HD yesterday and found only one type of ORB pulls that would fit. I thought they were a little too modern for the style my cabinets so I didn't bring them home.

patricia........are those all BM colours?

I am attaching 3 photos. The first shows a piece of molding which I put on top of the cabinet. Would that be a good size? Problem is matching the stain!
    The second picture shows a piece of granite that I think looks good but unfortunately the color is not accurate.
    The last picture is the eating area of the kitchen. We had pine panelling going half way up the wall and DH finally removed it and put new drywall up. It has opened up the space a lot. Walls need to be primed and painted so I'm interested in colors but I'm waiting until I decide on a counter.

If anyone has any pictures of their oak kitchen, please share.

{{gwi:1791387}}

• 15 years ago

Those are beautiful oak cabinets, and I am not an oak cabinet fan by any means because they usually look like plywood -- but yours DO NOT, at all, they look rich and warm and solid and high quality. I agree about the arched bottom doors only because visually the base would be more visually substantial with straight tops. But, really, the arches aren't that bad on the bottom.

First of all, I'm not totally sure but think you might be able to stain them without stripping them, and it could be very beautiful. We had that color oak floor in the last house that needed refinishing and couldn't be sanded down (not enough wear layer left). A brilliant artisan came in and first distressed it, second used some chemical to clean it and make it receptive to stain, third stained it a wonderful toasty color, and third put a couple coats of matte polyurethane on it. It looked so beautiful and rich when it was done, and best of all the stain did not sink into the grain of the oak, so it did not look so "oaky" but the result was more of a fine grain look. I wonder if something similar could be done to your cabinets? My guy who did this is in Southern California, don't know where you are but if you want his name I'll give it to you.

If you are going to keep them the same color, then:

Also agree with changing the handles. The handles you have are a nice shape, but they are fairly contemporary looking, and the cabinets aren't, they are quite traditional. You need a traditional knob in something like ORB -- definitely not in silvertones, and definitely not shiny.

Totally agree with those who say put a countertop that has much darker color. If you stay with the same value as the cabinets, it is going to look wimpy and boring. Deep chocolate or forest green for example, would be good. Definitely go for the granite, but again, make sure it is not some vanilla color or other pastel. Get something with some oomph, a nice hefty ogee edge, or a totally square edge -- something with some chunk to it. FORGET the mossy green in my opinion, that is the same value as athe golden oak, and will not do it.

Obviously you need a new backsplash, you should wait till you have your granite on to decide on that. Something that has worked well for a couple people is real brick (veneer, meaning thinner pieces of real brick). It looks very Tuscan or French country and is just yummy, you can seal it, and it repels food and grease. I had it in my last kitchen. Loved it.

No, do not put a curtain in place of your lower doors.

Replace that mini blind with something like a hefty wood blind or even plantation shutters. The mini blind is really dragging things down visually. What you put up there has to be richer, not stark white.

Cannot see the tops of your cabinets so don't know... but some very hefty crown moulding to match the cabinets will do wonders. Not that piddly stuff that comes with it, but something like 3-4 or even 5" with a big projection.

Did not notice the faucet but am sure others are right about a new one spiffing things up. Then put a few rich well chosen accessories out, and you'll be all set. Except for the floors, which are not visible in the photos, but I guess that will be the next thing you tackle.

My opinion about stainless steel is that it makes everything look richer. Before we redid our cabinets in that same house, they were the exact same color as yours, but nowhere near as nice, and the SS just richened everything up. Appliances were previously white, which of course had more of a cold look.

Congratulations on having such nice cabinets to work with. No doubt you have your reasons for letting DH have his way about keeping the oak so never mind about people trying to change your mind on that, every marriage is run its own way.

• 15 years ago

Add me to the list of people who think your cabinets are just fine the way they are. Whoever refinished them did a nice job, and they look like excellent quality cabinetry. Because they have been refinished, they look fresh and new, not dated at all in my opinion. When I think of dated oak, I think orange builder's grade stuff, not what you have.

The new counters, color on the walls, and perhaps a new stainless range hood would really transform the kitchen.

• 15 years ago

Oh, I also meant to add that that crown molding looks great! Definitely do that.

• 15 years ago

Yes! on the crown molding!

I searched high and low for inexpensive ORB hardware and finally had to cave and get these from Restoration Hardware--they were exactly what I was looking for (please see link).

And I'd like to restate that your oak cabinets are VERY nice. Have you looked at the Finished Kitchens blog for other kitchens with oak cabinetry? It's a GREAT site, and you can browse according to category. Here's a link to the oak kitchens category. Just click on the name:

http://delicious.com/starpooh/b1:Cabinet_Composition:Wood:Oak

Here is a link that might be useful: Ephram Pull

• 15 years ago

I also think ubatuba would look great with your cabinets and I think you would be surprised to see how much it has come down in price. Maybe you could find a pre fab piece of it for even less money. I think the contrast of the dark green would look beautiful.

• 15 years ago

I have 15 year old oak cabinets and I just replaced the counters with Tropical Brown granite - I love it! I would like to get my cabinets refinished and stained to tone down the "orange" color but I can't figure out who to hire to do that :)

Here are the pix of my new counters with old cabinets (sorry, no backsplash yet, that's been a challenge).

Also here's a link to a kitchen with cabinets the color that I'd like mine to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinets I wish I had

• 15 years ago

Most are BM colors. Sawdust is a SW color.

• 15 years ago

Crown molding: If you can't match the stain, try black! See link below for the only photo I could find quickly through Google. I know I've seen black molding on GW. Try the Finished Kitchens Blog.

Countertops: I vote too for a deep color to draw the eye from the cabs. Here's my Formica Basalt Slate to show the contrast:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample of black molding on wood cabs

• 15 years ago

organic smallhome.....many thanks for your links...checked the pulls but they don't fit since mine are 3 3/4" and the ones at RH come in 3" or 4" sizes. I'm not sure if the 4" ones would cover up the screw hole. This is just one problem when working with old cabinetry.

Another consideration is my base cabinet depth which is only 22 1/2 inches. This makes it difficult to find an undermount sink for a granite counter and have space for the faucet. Maybe I'll post in the kitchen forum as well to see what recommendations people have but I'm a little embarrassed to show my kitchen after seeing all those beautiful ones over there. (I feel like Cinderella.)

Again, thank you all for your help, there are too many of you to mention by name but I've appreciated all your comments. Now I just have to decide what to do!

• 15 years ago

I think your cabinets are great. Whoever refinished them did an excellent job.

I know when you live with something for a long time it can become ho-hum, but the cabinets really are lovely. Take a look at what is being offered on the market and that style is available. The backsplash helps to make the kitchen lighter and I see no reason to change it. Could you replace the wood molding at the bottom of the backsplash with the same material as what you choose for the countertop? Once the frige, and range hood are changed it will make a big impact. I would also change the faucet to a stainless to go with your sink. I agree with the person who suggested Wilsonart HD - the Crystalline Series. The Iris has lovely soft shades of greens - sage, olive,and gray tones, etc. That was my first choice, but when my husband saw the C. Onyx he really like it, and so do I now. The Crystalline Onyx will go with our stainless sink, white appliances and white cabinets. Lowe's had a beautiful piece of granite in blue shades, but I cannot rationalize the expense and the color might not be appreciated several years from now.

I must now decide on knobs and pulls - satin nickel, or black nickel.

Good luck with your changes. Jane

• 15 years ago

My kitchen is so very similar and my dh feels the same way as yours! I am looking at a new laminate color called jamocha. In my area I can tell you only 1 house that has granite. It is just too expensive and our home values aren't that great (mountains of SW Virginia). I was thinking of following advice that you were given and I had been given previously in putting black crown moulding and I want to replace my bright gold pulls with black as well. I got black appliances and just as soon as I can I will take pics. I can't wait to see what you do!

Alicia

• 15 years ago

I would do a darker window treatment and maybe install a darker sill, and I agree with whoever said it... green would be a wonderful compliment to your kitchen. I'd do accents and WT in something dark with mossy greens in it.

For the BS, though, I think it would look great to do something warmer - something that doesn't contrast so much with the cabinets. Copper (someone else mentioned it) would be gorgeous.

I think a counter top with some green in it would be beautiful. Uba tuba is very pretty, but I'd think you'd want something a little lighter.

I personally like laminate and the HD stuff and I like the laminate with wood edging particularly. If you have your heart set on stone, though, you ought to just go for it. If your cabinets are 21 years old, chances are they're better than most stuff made nowadays AND (maybe someone can correct me) as long as you don't anticipate changing the layout, there's no reason not to go with what you want.

Your kitchen is actually very nice. I'll show you mine some day - talk about a horror show!

• 15 years ago

Just a little update..still haven't made any changes but I think I will be going for a laminate counter. Although I love the idea of granite, I don't think that it is worth spending a lot of money on granite with these outdated cabinets.
    Chicoryflower, I agree about the backsplash........it will be changed to something softer.

I have narrowed down the laminate choices to wilsonart HD either cryslalline braun or canyon passage 1842-45. The jamocha didn't look good with my cabs, a little too dark and too busy.

Here is a link that might be useful: canyon passage

• 15 years ago

My cabinets aren,t oak but the color is about the same. If you are still having trouble matching the stain for the crown molding you could do what I did and take a door into SW and have them match the stain for you .Its less than 20 dollars and includes the first qt of stain. I also did something that I think would work for you as well. I put a shelve above the window for a out of the way area to display things and to give the window some pop . I also mixed in some darker crown molding for fun but its not for everyone.

• 15 years ago

maydena, I like the dark molding on your cabs. It's different but looks good in your kitchen.

• 15 years ago

Here's my tiny little 1942 kitchen with similar cabinets.

The countertop is a laminate and it's grey specked with touches of brown/copper specks here and there. The previous owner selected everything.

Sorry for the photo quality, I took these when it was dark outside and had a hard time between the flash and the CFL bulbs. The room color is actually a neutral cream leaning to yellow.

I plan on putting in a shiny red 1"x1" glass tile backsplash in the next year.

The only thing I don't like about the darker countertops is they emphasize the dark corners in the area. I'll likely install undercabinet lighting when I do the backsplash.

I'll give you a link to my blog...just look at the house tags and you'll find better-lighted photos into the kitchen and maybe get a better feel for the actual colors.

Gayle

{{gwi:1791394}}

{{gwi:1791395}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gayle's Blog

• 15 years ago

Are you positive you can't talk your dh into painting them? I just browsed thru your post and didn't read the others, so sorry if this is redundant or I'm off track....

If you are into french country at all, your cabinet door arch is totally in line with that. If you painted the cabinets (providing your dh would give in on that, and if you actually want painted ones) and glazed them, put a lovely new countertop on, and a cute french country fabric valance, your kitchen would be completely transformed. (Check out Reno_fans bathroom redo she just posted on here for inspiration.... soooo pretty).

If you are not into french country, and just want a minimal "fix", how about new hardware and maybe restaining the cabinetry another shade to make it look "new" to you. Or even just putting up a great shade of paint on the kitchen walls that you love.... new paint on the walls goes a long way in making a room feel updated. Even some tiled backsplash might be fun.

You have good bones to work with. I see lots of potential for your kitchen. Have fun. :o)

(p.s..... I vote for the painted and glazed french country cab's, textured walls, new valance. he, he). :o)

• 15 years ago

Your cabinets do not look so dated. I am not an oak lover by any means, and I ripped out my oak cabinets, but they were that 70's walnut stained oak where the grain becomes nearly black and the rest is still somehow sort of orangey...eek. Honestly yours look just fine. Just kind of...medium. Neutral. If mine looked like yours I would have kept them and been OK with it.

My sister has oak cabinets with an espresso finish in her loft, those look very nice. You can still see the grain texture but the grain colors are all blended.

Joanna

• 15 years ago

Hondagirl, your kitchen cabinets are very nice since they are solid and look in excellent shape. I would just add hardware to them. I love the laminate counter choice in the link a lot. When funds allow me one day, I want to change out my laminate almond squared off cheap kitchen counters to something prettier like you are doing. I also would like to get a new matching dishwasher (may have to since it is leaking and about to die on me anyway), new floor (the 17.5 year old Linoleum floor is not in great shape), and upgrade my oak veneer cabinets.

Compared to my kitchen, your kitchen looks great. Only my blinds, LG stainless steel refrigerator, solid wood (think is Cherry) kitchen table and wheat-back chairs, and adorable Fortunoff clock are nice in my kitchen which needs a lot of work.

• 15 years ago

I was searching for something else and can across this post. I remembered reading this and wondered how you made out with your kitchen?

Here's a pic of my oak cabinets and dark countertops
    *we'll be painting in the next couple of weeks
    {{gwi:1573359}}

• 15 years ago

I'm so surprised to see my old thread pop up!

Not much has changed in my kitchen..still no new counter. Unfortunately, the longer I look at my cabs, the more problems I see and now I'm even thinking about changing them. But I just CAN'T make a decision and it's driving DH nuts. Funny, I used to be able to make my decisions so easily but not any more.

My walls were primed when I took the pics so in the mean time I've painted them one coat of BM Wheat Sheaf. I'm not sure that I like the color.....I'm seeing a definite green undertone but it's a lot better than staring at bright white walls. I'M the only who sees green, no one else in my family sees it. lol

Your oak kitchen looks very nice. What are your counters? What color will you be painting? Good luck with your project! Share some pictures when you're done.

• 15 years ago

Searching around for something else and saw this thread ... hondagirl, I don't know if you saw my discussions recently, but we decided to embrace the oak and ended up getting granite installed. We also decided on a tile backsplash and will be having that done soon.

I guess the question is whether your cabinets are functional or if there are other problems with the type of storage or other elements. Ours are pretty good -- maybe not what I would have chosen if I knew then what I know now, but given the space constraints they provide a decent amount of work space and storage for us.

Tropic brown granite is one of the least expensive types, btw, so if you love it you should be able to find a good deal on it depending on how much you need and where you are located. Around 2k for granite and tile would spiff your kitchen right up.

HTH!

• 15 years ago

Hondagirl, I just saw this thread for the first time, I really like the oak cabinets you have and the idea of adding a separate color moulding came to me before i saw the one above with the dark mouldings..also there is a thought of adding a thin line of a color on the groove of the cabinets or the framework, but i can see husband objecting..

a moulding that matches your color of your countertop might work..maybe a dark green if you are going greenish tones..with a bit of distressing? if you are having trouble finding hardware, maybe a hardware with a backplate that will cover the old screwholes? an option anyway.

i would like to see an update of the eating area if you have a photo..and any changes you hav made..i did like the larger crown moulding and think it would update your cabinets a lot..the hardware is not unattractive that you have..you should be able to find an undermount sink that will fit your countertops..if you can't find one at a normal store check with a modular home store? they have smaller items..

or check apartment size....for narrower..

have you decided on the color for your laminate? I was also thinking that if you went with a dark green on the crown moulding that you might put in a dark green tile backsplash?? green will bring out the colors in the oak (oak and green are lovely together)..if not..that's ok too.

• 15 years ago

I LOVE oak. I was brought up to believe it was a quality hardwood. But....like another poster said, if you want the latest look then you have to have the things that make up that look.

The list: shaker cabinets, SS knobs & appliances, 6 burner stove possibly with a griddle, granite counters, tile backsplash,tile or wood flooring.

My red oak cabinets are 25 years old & the flooring "was" carpeted!!!! I kept the cabs & the foot print, but changed all of the above and $24K later it's up to date looking.......but exactly the SAME kitchen. :0) Something to think about.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!