SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Space saving tricks for super small kitchen?

alison
16 years ago

My apartment has a small kitchen, about 6'x8', with two doors, a window and a shallow closet outfitted with shelves as a pantry.

Everything works, so my landlord isn't interested in replacing any of the appliances, but I'm looking for ways to make it more functional. (And make it look a little nicer!)

I have several hanging racks on the walls for tools (measuring cups, spoons, etc.) and I have a drop leaf table turned sideways under the window, with the theory that I can pull up the leaf for temporary work space, even tho' it's the wrong height. Underneath the table I have stacked wood shoe racks, that I use to store a lot of equipment. I also store a lot of things on the top of the cabinets. (Food processor, wok, box of seldom used wine glasses, etc.)

It works (altho' I do most of my prep work by laying a large cutting board over the sink) but it's not great. And it really looks like a college-dorm hodge podge. And there seem to be piles of stuff on the few available surfaces.

Any hope of turning this into a pleasant looking, functional kitchen, or is it simply too small to do without remodeling? I'd love to hear what worked for you, especially if you have pictures -- I'm always looking for more ideas.

Thanks!

[Here's a few shots to show you what I'm working with]

East wall with spices and utensils:

{{gwi:1462917}}

Over the stove, on the south wall:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Looking north, from the dining room (you can see a corner of the pantry at left)

{{gwi:1462918}}

Comments (6)