SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danarasmussen

How did you save money when buying kitchen flooring?

danarasmussen
8 years ago

I liked the Kardean vinyl planks because I thought it was one of the best looking, most realistic vinyl planks I saw. But, I really did not like its price- both the material and the installation would have been expensive. At those prices, its more expensive than some of the free floating hardwood flooring!

Any tricks or tips on how you saved money when you needed to buy flooring for your kitchen?

Did you wait for the flooring to go a sale? Did you find any savings by buying online?

Did you compromise and get something you didn't like as much because it was more affordable?

Did you go the big box retailers like Home Depot or Lowe's and did you find out you saved money doing that? I know Home Depot also sells cheaper luxury vinyl planks with their Allure products. Kardean insists on using their professional installers but yet you can DIY with Allure planks even though they're both free floating planks so the installation costs should be cheaper even if I hired somebody out to install Allure.

Or, did you go to outlets like Lumber Liquidators or Floor & Decor? Is the closeout thing just a marketing gimmick or is there something wrong with those pieces at those prices?

It seems like it should be cheaper if I bought the flooring and then found somebody else like a contractor or installer to then install the flooring I bought rather than buying the material and having the installation done by the same flooring company. But, will that affect the quality of the installation or is installation fairly easy?

I go to farmers market and support small farmers, but I just dislike the whole experience of going to those small independent flooring stores. It just seems so unnecessarily complicated where they won't put the prices on the materials- you have to ask them the price each time you see something you like. If they had listed the prices, then I would have walked past those Kardeans and never fallen for them.

There's a couple of independent stores that sell those Kardean vinyl planks that are around. Is it worth to shop around those different stores to see if there's any difference in price or is the price set regardless of who sells it?

Or, has anybody ever negotiated with these small stores to get a better price?

Did I miss anything about where you can try to do to save money?

Comments (18)