SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
w0lley32

Best way to install second subpanel

w0lley32
15 years ago

Hi! Two years ago, I installed a 60-amp subpanel (100-amp panel fed with #6 wires in conduit with 60-amp breaker)in my garden shed to power my Christmas lights in winter and swimming pool pump, a light and outlet in the shed, and the convenience outlet near the pool.

Now, I am building an attached garage to my house, and I only have 4 spaces left in the main panel. I won't have any large power tools in the garage, just a table saw and planer, plus lighting, garage door opener and a few outlets.

Because the main panel is at the opposite end of the house, if I power the garage from the main panel, I would have about 65 feet of cable to run, but I would only need 35 feet if I power it from the shed subpanel. I calculated that 40 amps should be plenty. Can I do that, and is it a better idea than running a cable all the way to the main panel in the house?

Also, my conduit to the shed enters the house below grade level and someone told me that this is no longer allowed by code. Is it true, and if so, what is the minimum height? Thanks.

Comments (11)