SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgwlisa

What's the best way to install heating mats below tile?

kgwlisa
16 years ago

We are planning to use suntouch mats in our bath remodel and I was wondering what the best way to approach it would be. We are using small format tile on the floor (octagon and dot) and I am concerned about the shape of the wires telegraphing through since we are not using a large format tile.

As far as I can tell, there are essentially two approaches. We have a 3/4" t&g plywood subfloor and were planning a 1/2" layer of cement board on top. On top of that would go the suntouch mats and then a thin self leveling mortar bed (the floor is actually pretty close to level if not dead on, our contractor did a lot of work before laying the subfloor - it would just be to create a smooth surface for the tile) and then tile.

I THINK the other approach would be to skip the cement board and just lay the suntouch mats on the subfloor, thinset (what type?) with a 1/4" trowel, and then lay ditra, then tile over the ditra (with what kind of thinset again?)

So which is the better way of doing it? Obviously the ditra method would take up less vertical space. Also, please correct me if I have any of my steps wrong here. It doesn't seem like the cost would be significantly different between the two (maybe the first would be more expensive because of all of the additional materials?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (11)