SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjkaiserz

Installing a Second Electric Meter for EV Charging

jumper
7 years ago

My utility allows a second meter (on a separate rate) for EV charging. I've currently got a 400A service (2x200A). The overhead feeder comes into a raceway, to a pull box, then to the meter, then to the 2x200A panel. The second 200A breaker supplies a sub-panel at the other end of the house that can live on 100A. My utility won't let me have more than 400A, so I anticipate being required to reduce the one breaker to make room for the second meter under a 400A service total ceiling.

I propose to tap the utility side feeder in the pull box to supply a new RV-type meter/breaker panel that I will use for EV Charging.

1. Disconnects. If I have 4 or fewer breakers in the new EV panel, plus the two disconnects in the existing household panel, I presume I won't need a separate disconnect for the RV panel since I'll be at 6 or fewer throws to disconnect the combined service. Right?

2. Bonding vs not boding the second meter panel. I'll tap the three wires from the utility in the pull box ahead of the existing meter to feed the EV meter panel, but, do I bond the neutral and ground in the new EV meter panel, as well as in the household panel, and let the neutral wire carry the ground back to the household panel that is in turn connected to earth ground? Or, do I bond them in the EV panel AND run a separate ground all the way back to the UFER? Or, do I leave neutral and ground unbonded in the RV panel, and run a separate ground back to the household panel and the ground bar, or directly to the UFER? Note that the new panel will be mechanically connected via metallic conduit to the existing pull box, not that one would use that as a ground path. Just information.

I've never addressed a multi-meter situation. This will all be permitted and the utility service planner is coming out next week to assess. Any insights appreciated.

Comments (3)