SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Instlaling a Switch to a Hard-Wired Light Fixture

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello

I'd light to install a switch for an overheat light in the 2nd bedroom on the 3rd floor of my 3-family. (I list it as a den when I rent the apartment, even though it's a legal bedroom due to the skylights.)

The main reason I want to change the fixture is because the ceiling is sloped, and it's getting harder and harder to find nice, modern fixtures with pull chains. 2nd is for the convenience factor...

I have no attic access to drop wires down the wall, and I'm not exactly clear on how to run the new wire for the switch loop.

I'll have a new 14-2 wire from the light fixture going down to the switch box. Because power is going to the light, I will be using 14-2 with the white wires taped black to signify they are hot.

How do I get access to the switch box from inside the stud cavity next to the door. (That's assuming there's no horizontal blocking in the stud cavity...) Where will I cut my access holes for the top plate? Will I need to chisel out a path for the wire to run through the top plate? Because there is no flat ceiling in this room, I should have access from the top plate right into the parallel roof rafters to get to the light fixture, right?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)