SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heathrli

Can you add single pole (light 1) to 3-wire switch (light 2)?

Heather L
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We just installed 6 recess lights and 2 dimmer switches (3-way switch) - YAY! I was so proud.

But now we're trying to add a new single pole switch to control the pendant lights... hopefully using the power off one of the 3-way switches. Is this even possible? Can you split power from a 3-way switch/14-3 wire?

Here is what we have.. and yes, we probably have done lots wrong (please let me know!). We've tried all sorts of combinations and the only thing we've been able to achieve is the new single pole switch can turn on/off the recessed lights (the WRONG lights).

Please help!! Any input into how to wire and/or what we need to make it possible (14-4 wire?!) would be great. Thanks!!

Note:

1. diagram is probably technically all wrong but I'm not an electrician and I just used PPT. :)
  2. the purple X's are where I have wire nuts.. ALL of them may not be shown, but just for general idea.
  3. the single pole switch in the right 2-gang box is wired for a separate light.. didn't bother including that routing. I don't think it affects what I'm trying to do, but let me know if that's wrong..
  4. I'm trying to set up the pendant light to the **NEW** single pole switch..

Comments (10)