SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leecl67

New to this - how to handle BF's son's mother

leecl67
15 years ago

My BF had a one-night stand with his son's mother, which of course turned out a little more seriously than he ever imagined. She decided to keep the baby, and now he is 2. BF is a wonderful father - always on time with support, picking him up, bailing her out of money situations, very affectionate to his son. She's been rather hard to handle though...irresponsible with money, mean to his mother (who is a sweetheart). Its been trouble since the start. They were never in a relationship.

Now I'm in the picture, and spend a lot of time with BFDS when BF has him. We waited a bit to let her know about me because of her past history (he had one other girlfriend since BFDS's birth, and BM was rather nasty about it). Since then, it has been a lot of nastiness, making BF feel bad about his parenting skills and demanding that I not be around, insinuating bad behavior around son, etc. I have offered to meet her, she's declined. She is polite around me in person, but certainly gives BF heck for my being around her son.

We are all in our late twenties, and BF and I are definitely on marriage track. Here's the deal: I don't want to disrespect BM (she actually seems like a good mother to BFDS), and I can see her point. She doesn't want a replacement family coming in. But I don't want to be BFDS's mommmy, I want to be another important part of his life. He is too young to realize what is going on now, but certainly will. But BF and her were never together...he deserves the right to move on and build his life. We want to have a family together.

What can I do? Anything? Any traps not to fall for? I thought someone's comment on "special time" for father and son was a good thought, so I'm not always around. Is there any way to crack her? I'm a very reasonable person, and I want what is best for all parties, including her in this really tough situation.

Comments (12)