SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

telling kids to lie or keep 'secrets'

imamommy
15 years ago

newgardenelf mentioned that in their family, they have access to all the kids' email accounts and that BM set up a 'secret' account. In a 'secret' email, BM asked the kids to lie about where they were going when they were with her and not tell dad certain things, etc.

The reason this caught my attention is that my stepdaughter's mom has also told her to lie and change facts of events to keep dad from knowing what really happened. Maybe she doesn't want him to call her on making a poor decision where their daughter got hurt or she knows she's doing something that won't be acceptable so she hides it. My opinion is that in doing that, she is teaching her child to be deceitful and it affects how much we feel we can trust SD. We know that her mom encourages it, so the blame is on the mom, but yet SD suffers too because when she tells us things, we never know if we can believe her because we've caught her in so many lies. It's hard to know what to believe anymore.

The other situation that I thought of doesn't involve a step family at all. My sister and her husband of 22 years are going through a divorce. It's a MESS! Neither will 'move out' so they are both living at the marital home. He has a girlfriend now that he goes to see and occasionally stays at her house. She stays at her friend's house a few nights a week when he's home. She is home during the day (SAHM) to get the kids (14 & 17) off to school and take them to practice, etc. after school. He's at work so if he comes back to the house, she leaves. It's not very pleasant for anyone. The point is, her husband is telling their kids to keep things from mom... things like sporting events (don't tell mom you have a game on Saturday) so she won't go. or he told them to lie about where they were on a weekend when he took them out of town to a family gathering out of state, etc. He also gives the kids money and is trying to get them to say they want to live with him. (He doesn't want to pay child support or alimony, which she would get after 22 years of being a SAHM & she's been disabled for the last 6 years) He uses the fact that he has money and can buy them things they want and she can't as a way of trying to get them to side with him. But, what I see is that he's putting his kids right in the middle of their crossfire and the kids are the ones really being hurt by it. [she's not perfect, I suspect she has a BF but says he's a male friend. She's at least keeping it low profile while he flaunts his GF by taking her to the kids' games and practically making out with her when my sister is there.]

And while I don't agree with either of them dating... yes, they are still married (legally) and call the same address 'home' but they are not likely to reconcile no matter how long a waiting period the courts make up. It was her idea to get divorced as well but when he found out she was going to file, he beat her to the courthouse and filed just a few hours before she did. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they both think the marriage is dead and over. As for the kids, they have been listening to them bicker for years and they know more than I do, what their parent's marriage was like... I saw some pretty shameless arguing on holidays, so I can only imagine the rest of the time. (but none of that is relevant to the issue of dad telling kids to lie or keep secrets... but it does example that what doodle said is correct, a marriage/relationship is over, not when the ink is dry, but when the parties emotionally leave the marriage. Heck, I've known of couples that divorced on paper but got back together because that emotional tie was just still there and they stayed together without getting remarried)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH