SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjoh878646

Utilities suffer from CFLs poor power factor

rjoh878646
15 years ago

Found this article on electronic design news about power companies suffering from the low power factor of CFL's

Article below Link at bottom to article and comments.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Utilities suffer from CFLs poor power factor

Apr 6 2009 6:00PM : Permalink :Email this:Comments (23) :

Every CFL light contains a small ac-dc power supply with reactive components in it that will affect the CFLÂs power factor (PF) Â that is, the load presented to the ac line. The closer the PF is to 1, the better. A load with low power factor (<.85 draws more current and is less efficient than a load with high power factor for the same amount of useful power. higher currents required by lower pf devices mean increased energy lost in grid due to such things as i2r losses. these losses don show up directly on our electricity bill but utilities sure see effects.>I put one of my home CFL bulbs on my Kill-O-Watt power meter recently and measured its power factor: It was .57. This is lousy. Although each CFL is only 13W, there are millions of them out there. Why no PF regulation, as there is of higher-power, but less ubiquitous devices?

I emailed Peter Banwell of the EnergyStar program and asked if EnergyStar was considering making minimum PF a requirement for Energy Star compliance. He replied, "We looked at this in detail several years ago and decided against it, though there are a couple of utilities that still support the idea. We may take this up in the future, as the market share grows, but right now it is still in the noise in terms of impacts."

Coincidentally, after our email exchange I ran into Mike Grather of Luminaire Testing Laboratory. He recently ran a series of life-cycle and performance tests on a batch of 100 CFLs with various power ratings averaging approximately 20W each. They assumed a PF for the lights of at least .75 and sized the power supply at 3KVA. However, when they powered up the bank of CFLs, the 3KVA supply was inadequate. Grather checked the power factor for the CFLs and found they ranged from .45 to .50. Their "real" load was about twice that implied by their wattage.

CFLs are still an efficient form of household lighting, but their poor PF number is leaving money on the table. However, itÂs clear that at about $2 each thereÂs not a lot of room for adding power factor correction circuitry. On the other hand, utilities are already going to great lengths to encourage consumers to switch to CFLs, including subsidizing the price of CFLs. I doubt that consumers would be interested in paying more for a feature that actually benefits the utility directly, not them. Perhaps utilities will start to subsidize high-power-factor CFLs, rather than the mediocre ones we can buy now.

Related entries in: Power Sources/Controllers :

Here is a link that might be useful: EDN article

Comments (19)