SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Have to / Choose to - Ceph's SFamily philosophy

ceph
15 years ago

We were talking about "doing for" vs "going the extra mile" and I wanted to share my theory. You can disagree if you'd like, but I wanted to share what I think.

When I got together with FDH, his only requirements were that I was nice to A__ and respected that they have a relationship. And, really, I think that's all a BP should expect from their SO towards their child. IMO, that's all a SP has to "do for" and all that a SC has to "do for" in return.

But it was important to me to get to know A__, so that I could love him too. Once I got to know him, I found that I loved him very much, and I think he found the same thing about me once he got to know me.

So what does that mean? I think it means that we can choose to be more than "Dad's GF/wife" and "BF/husband's son" and treat each other like family. That choice gives each of us extra rights and responsibilities: He has to listen to me almost as if I were his parent, and I have to provide care almost as if he were my child. He gets another grown-up's affections, and I get the joy of helping raise a child.

But, IMO, we have chosen to treat each other like family, and chosen to have these rights and responsibilities. If one of us chooses not to keep up our end, the other is not required to either.

So even though I would still love A__ if he decided he wanted to discontinue the relationship we have chosen, I am not required to do anything other than be nice to him and respect his relationship with FDH.

Since A__ and I have chosen to treat each other as parent and child...

Whether A__ is having a good day or a bad day, I make sure he is fed, is appropriately clothed for the weather, has his homework/chores done, gets hugs and kisses, has some recreation time and knows I love him. That covers the "do for"...

When he is having a good day, I am more likely to make his favourite foods, spend a little extra money to get him clothes he really wants, reward him for homework/chores with stickers pages or thank you notes, give extra praise or high-fives with the hugs and kisses, give extra recreation time, and knows I love him. That covers the "extra mile"...

So I love A__ regardless of what he does, but I choose to act like family, and if I go he extra mile, so will he.

Comments (5)