SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Allowance question

lovehadley
15 years ago

I need input, everyone!

DH and I have decided it is more than time for the kids (SS, 6 and DD 6) to earn an allowance. We've been having some *issues* with them not being very responsible with their toys, expecting that things that get broken will just be "replaced" etc. We also have to hound them about doing stuff around the house.

We both talked about how when we were little, we had chores around the house and an allowance, as well.

So--we have decided on some basic chores that need to be done: making the bed, setting the table, helping with the dog (ie--feeding him, letting him outside when he needs to go potty, etc.), throwing dirty clothes in the hamper, and other basics.

DH wants to give them $5 a week. I was thinking more like $3, but he really wants to do $5....so okay, whatever.

Here is where we're not sure what to do.

SS is with us two days one week, and five the next. He is only with us every other Sat. and we were thinking of handing out allowances every Sat. or Sun.

DH wants to talk to BM and have her require the same or similar chores at her house. Then on her weekends she can give SS his $5, and on our weekends, he will get it from us.

WWWYD? Does this sound like a good plan?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths