SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michgeo_gw

Basement Sewage Pump Venting Requirements, Revisited

michgeo
17 years ago

"The more I know, the less I understand" to quote lyrics from Don Henley.

While walls are open for a main floor remodeling, I want to add plumbing vents to support a future basement bath. The future bath would have to pump the sewage up to the drain line.

The Michigan Residential Codes 2003 apply, based on the IRC 2003.

Thanks to a suggestion from Lazypup a few weeks ago, the drain connection is all good. Venting has me befuddled.

Code differs depending on whether the pump is pneumatic or not. If pneumatic, a dedicated vent through the roof is required, sized based on the air requirements of the pump. Otherwise, it appears that the pump can be vented like anything else -- it can tie into existing vents and be half the diameter of the line it serves (but at least 1.25").

Question: For the pump, is the vent serving the typical 2" discharge line, or the 4" line it pumps into?

Lazypup suggested awhile ago that I install a dedicated thru-the-roof 1.5" vent for the pump (plus a second 1.5" regular vent for the fixtures, which is now installed). I'd prefer to tie the vents together in the attic if code will allow it.

Question: Are sewage pumps typically pneumatic? Or does the IRC 2006 (not yet adopted in Michigan) require a dedicated vent regardless of pump type? (Lazypup, if you're listening, perhaps you can clarify the dedicated vent suggestion better than anyone.)

The local big blue box store sells Star Systems .4 HP flush-up unit that has a 2" discharge and a 3" vent. A company tech support guy said that a 2" vent is okay where code allows it, but that 1.5" would not meet the company's requirements for proper operation of the pump. Of course, the same guy thought I was mistaken about "pneumatic" and "sewage pump" having anything to do with each other as one moves air and the other moves liquid. At least he was certain that their pumps are not pneumatic.

I've also seen a suggestion that a sewage pump vent be one size larger than otherwise required -- 2" instead of 1.5" in the post. If 1.5" is sufficient, I'm not sure what is gained by going larger. 1.5" would be easier to install, but I'm leaning toward using 2" just in case either the pump or the inspector requires it.

Question: What size vents are typical for sewage pumps in Michigan? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clear the water.

Comments (5)