SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

'Co-parenting' vs 'being a father'

annkathryn
16 years ago

I'm curious how relatively low-conflict divorced parents might define "co-parenting", particularly with regards to the stepfather's role. My ex is insanely jealous of my fiance's interactions with my boys, and is currently insisting that he's the FATHER and my fiance should have no role as a co-parent in my family. The jealousy has no basis in logic, by the way; I did not become romantically involved with my fiance while I was married to my ex.

A little background: I have 2 boys, 14 and 16, they're with their father every other weekend, a couple of weeks in the summer, and a week at Christmas. My fiance has lived with us since January. He is not interested in interfering with my boys' relationship with their father, and in fact actively supports it.

My Ex believes our son is depressed, and has pushed for an assessment by a therapist. I don't believe he's depressed, but am willing to go along simply to put the issue to rest. I think my son is affected by my ex's hostility towards my fiance, and have put that theory on the table with the therapist. I've also requested that my fiance be involved in the process, given that he'll also be involved in implementing whatever recommendations the therapist comes up with.

Co-parenting to me means that all of us share the responsibilities of parenting and we all have or develop significant relationships with the boys. Obviously my ex and I have been sharing these responsibilities and building these relationships for 16 years. But for the past 7 months my fiance has driven the boys to school every day, walked and cleaned up after their dogs every weekend morning and every summer morning, gently awakened the boys when they oversleep, had dinner with them nearly every night and struggled to draw them into conversation over the dinner table, washed all their dishes, cleaned up the messes they leave in the kitchen, taken out their garbage, done a good deal of grocery shopping, talked with their friends and their friends families, driven them to friends houses and to sports practices when I couldn't, attended nearly every sporting event and marching band competition. My fiance has been available to talk to the boys whenever they wanted to talk (which, as those of us who have teenagers all know, is not often); he's told stories of his own childhood, and occasionally he's even helped with homework.

To me in reading this forum, it seems the boundary between being a stepfather and a father revolves around discipline: stepfathers don't discipline. What else would you consider to be a boundary? What can I say to my ex to diffuse his irrational fear that my fiance wants to usurp his role as a father?

Ann

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville