SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmommy_gw

Step Mom vs Father's Wife

mmommy
17 years ago

I'm thinking that a lot of the issues that some of face is that all parties involved can't decide if Wife #2 (3,4,whatever:))is a STEP MOM or the FATHER'S WIFE.

The following is not intended as a response to anything previously posted, I'm only trying to illustrate a theme that I have noticed in thread after thread.

I know that this thread will get really anecdotal....but basically I'm talking about when DH thinks of us as wife and (somtimes) mother to his BC, BM thinks of us as ex's wife and (at best) "parenting assistant" to her ex, and the SC go back and forth on our role!

I'm sure many of us have been in the position where we're clicking right along, have SC in the home (even full time), we're taking care of the "business of mothering" and WHAM! Something happens, and all of a sudden what was fine last week now steps on someone's toes and we become "non voting" members of the group....OR we're getting disregarded, "cast out" of the family in terms of priority, asked to "stay out of it" and then WHAM! all of a sudden we're jerks for not including everyone.

What are you thoughts on this?

ps***

While I was typing I gave myself a giggle...when I typed the line about stepping on toes, I decided that maybe that's why we're called STEPparents....seems like someone always feels like we're stepping on their toes.... :)

Comments (6)