SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
die4chocolate

stepdaughters and holidays--am i being unreasonable?

die4chocolate
16 years ago

Hi there!

I'm brand new to this forum and I'm in need of some of your comments and feedback. Please forgive the wordiness!

Quick background: Hubby and I have been married for 6 years. He has 2 daughters (now 16 and 13) from his first marriage and they live with their mother about 300 miles south of us. This is my first marriage and I have no children.

One of the goals in my marriage has always been to support my husband's relationship with his children and to make sure they're both a part of our lives as much as possible. We see the girls for a week during Christmas or for Thanksgiving, we swap holidays with the EX (however sometimes we do get to see them for both holidays). We also see them for a week at spring break, 4 to 6 weeks over the summer, and maybe one weekend a month during the rest of the year. Hubby calls them every night also. My relationship with the girls has always been good. They confide in me, when they want to, and I always advocate for them when I feel their parents are fighting too much and not putting the girls' interests first. We have special girls days out, I've taken them to concerts, helped them with homework, and have been a solid presence in their lives. I consider myself lucky, especially when compared to some of the stepmother horror stories I've read on this forum.

So, now comes the reason why I'm writing: Hubby and I have been together 9 years (6 in marriage, as I said, and 3 in dating). For the first time ever, I made a request of hubby this week that he and I drive up to visit my family for Thanksgiving. (He gets along well with them.) Naturally, his first response was "what about the girls? I don't want to miss out on their visit". (It appears as if we will get to see them for both holidays this year.) I responded by asking him if we could just see them at Christmas this year. He said he would ask the girls what they want to do. (Well they enjoy coming up to visit us, so I know what their response will be.)

While I commend him for wanting to spend as much time as possible with the girls, I was really let down that my request to see my family was overlooked.

I don't know whether to just let this go, or to pursue it a bit harder (meaning: rant and rave). Am I being unreasonable in my request? Or, should we spend as much time with the girls as possible? My dad is getting up there in age and I really want to spend some extra time with him. I do have a backbone, and will be more than happy to use if. I just want to do the right thing by hubby and the girls. I've considered going up for a visit on my own, and will be glad to do so. However, dad enjoys my husband and has expressed a wish that he come along.

In marrying someone with children, I fully accepted the consequences of my choice to marry him, so that's why I'm having trouble with this situation.

Any thoughts/comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments (17)