SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canada03

Cherry finished wall file shelving - help

canada03
19 years ago

I'm trying to build a wall unit for chart filing - approximately 9 feet long - mid vertcal supprt, 7 feet high, eight shelves with a 12 1/2 inch depth, 10 inch height. I currently have one made out of pine which works fine, but I'd like to upgrade to something that looks nicer and fits with the rest of the deep cherry. I'll also add a crown at the top.

The current shelf depth is only 11 1/2 given the standard 12 " board, and in the new project I'd like it deeper so I was going to switch to plywood or partice board and cut it to depth. Ideally, I'd like it stained and protected, but am considering cherry veneer or, at least, a cherry stain. If that was the case, I'd put trim on the plywood edges visible. Can you get cherry veneer with a protective coating on it?

What kind of material would you recommend? Buying veneer plywood of particle board? If so, prestained/sealed, or birch and stain cherry (much more work for a shelf that will be hidden). I also considered simply painting the inside and having cherry trim on the outside edges and crown. Basically, I'd like the same quality as the veneer particle board, pre-finished, assembly yourself, mid-high end bookcases you can buy at office stores. endAny suggestions.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!