SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

Advice Needed for Huge Project

christineny
17 years ago

I am about to gut my den and really need some advice. I want an english library look for the room. I am having built two large (floor to ceiling) bookcases that will flank a large window. My fireplace will have a new mantle built with raised panels extending from the mantle to the ceiling. Also, the walls will have recessed panels with a chair-rail. I want to stain all wood a mahogany stain and paint the upper walls green.

Here are my questions

1. What wood species should I use? I think given the size of the project, I will have no choice but to use pine. Is birch or poplar an option to me? How much more will it cost over the pine? I know of birch plywood but can you get moldings in birch too?

2. If I go with pine, what method do I use for an evenly stained look. I just stained some bookshelves in my basement in a mahogany color and it came out very uneven looking. I really want an even toned wood look. Do I have to precondition the wood? Will pine not give me the look I am after?

3. What stain brand do you recommend? Do I stick with minwax or use some other kind like Cabot? Does brand make a difference?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me!!

*My contractor/friend is doing the work for me. I will be helping him with the staining/painting of the room.

Comments (10)